Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Good new National Geographic Traveler magazine

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Heather

The April 2002 issue of National Geographic Traveler has an article on "6 classic Greek islands" [2-3 pages per island] as well as a piece on 12 Rome hotels under US$135.00. And, not that I'm biased by where I live, but the "48 hours" piece on Chicago includes some useful info.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Patrick

Just for fun, I looked at one of those wonderful little Rome hotels. I went to their website, inserted some dates and found the cheapest availability was for 245 Euros -- a long way from the "under $135 US" that the article mentioned. Maybe that is for a single in the middle of winter? But it is an interesting article.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Heather

Interesting discovery, Patrick. I would think that, based upon my experience, the room rates would be cheaper on the Internet. And, the article states that the rooms "quoted here are maximum prices" [although] "nothing in Rome is written in stone. Hence, bargaining can be effective." Also, the author points out that these are max prices during high season and informs the reader that lower season prices are 10-15% less.

Well, I apologize if I've directed anyone to a misleading article, but hope that it provides a good starting point, nonetheless.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Rex

Thanks, Heather. If others aren't aware there are a few other threads about this, including at least two other listings that give the actual names - - with web sites, e-mail addresses or fax numbers for most of them.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 12:48 PM

to the top

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Capo

Hi Heather. I hope you don't mind a minor extra note. I finally got around to looking at that Rome hotels article and it's The Best Rome hotels *with a view* under $135. (Their similar article about Paris hotels was simply The Best Hotels in Paris under $100.) The fact that they included a view as a criterion probably resulted in a different selection of hotels than they might have otherwise listed.

Anyway, one thing I found very interesting is that the article said that, whereas staying in Rome used to be less expensive than London or Paris, it's now become more expensive. Being used to finding a lot of good deals in Paris, I know I was quite surprised at prices when looking into hotels in Rome last year.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Can't sleep

Good point, Capo. And remember, having a good view can mean being at some elevation. Which means climbing down and back up at the end of the day. Inherently less feet-friendly to those who want to traipse around the center of tourist Rome, in some cases.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 10:10 PM
MaryC

Yes, but some of those hotels have elevators (I think one was voted as having arguably the smallest elevator in Rome)!

Heather, that is a great issue, isn't it?!? I'm wondering, though, if those hotels raised their prices knowing the type of exposure they would get in National Geographic Traveler magazine (not that those hotels depend on an American clientele). It just gives one pause.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 09:46 AM
elaine

The article mentioned Rome's high season for hotels being
from Easter to June, and then Sept and Oct. I'm wondering if the article's low rates just don't apply during those months.
Patrick, I'm curious, which dates did you check?

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 12:48 PM
Where

<<two other listings that give the actual names>>

Is there really a thread like this?

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 02:06 PM
Rex

Yes. Here's the thread with the list:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1356689

and here's the actual post (with an afterthought added by Sherry):

Author: Boots ([email protected])
Date: 03/23/2002, 08:27 pm
2.Colosseum, www.hotelcolosseum.com
3. Casa Di Santa Brigida, www,brigidine.org
4. Marcus, www.hotelmarcus.com
5. Parlamento, www.hotelparlamento.it
6. Pensione Barrett, FAX 68-92-97-1
7. Zanardelli, www.hotelnavona.com
8. Lilium, e-mail: [email protected]
9. Alimandi, www.alimandi.org
10. Cisterna, FAX 58-81-091
11. Romae, www.hotelromae.com
12. ?
Though the title said "12," I can only find eleven in the article. Hope this helps.
Boots

=====================================

Author: Sherry ([email protected])
Date: 03/23/2002, 10:55 pm

Message: The last, Hotel Navona is mentioned under the Residenza Zanardelli listing. They are owned by the same family and is nearby, smaller and lower priced.

And thanks Fodors - - I wasn't able to find this until - - today - - the indexing seems to have been updated again today - - on Easter Sunday!

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 07:09 PM
topping again

to the top, with the list