Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Good inexpensive family rentals or hotel in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good friend wants to take her three boys (13 to 19) to Rome inJuly 2013, without spending all their college funds, LOL!

This is not my travel profile, as we are just an aging couple who travel off season!

Anybody have experience with inexpensive hotels with very large rooms, or good location affordable family apts.?

Where can I point her?
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

I've been answering my own question. Looks like Sleep in Italy is one of the good sites for rentals.

Any party-of-five hotels? I guess large rooms or connecting?
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 09:36 PM

We rented from Rome Capital Apartments last August and were very happy with the apartment and the agency. I just took a quick look and came across several apartments that are available in July. Depending upon their dates, they may get a bargain since the "low season" with this agency goes from July 16-August 31.

Here's a link to a 3 bedroom apartment with availability in July for 170 euro/night:

http://www.romecapitalapartments.com...ollo%20III-272
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:03 PM

We stayed at Hotel Selene. It had ac that worked, critical in summer!

www.hotelselenaroma.it/
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try realrome.com. I've used them but only for a studio. However, others here have rented the apartment in the Ghetto and reported favorably. Do a search. Great agency, upstanding and easy to work with.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I know this is an oft-asked question, and now we have some good leads.
I don't know how anyone with three teens can afford flying to Europe!
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 01:46 PM

We liked the Domus Julia, which has flexible arrangements of rooms with en suite baths and kitchen/eating area. We also had breakfast included in our very reasonable price, and it was a very nice cold buffet, coffees made to order, served in the adjoining Hotel Julia. The Hotel's front desk is helpful to have, also.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 02:54 PM

taconictraveller, we had three kids and both my ex) an I had known what a hassle it would be for a group of 5 . We both had done a fair amount of Europeon travel pre kids, so we knew rooms were made for 2 , not five, cars were small, and as you say 5 airfares at once can be quite a whop, but we both felt it was important that our kids were exposed to the world outside their sandbox. So all our kids got their Europeon trip, but all got it seperately one and one with an alternate parent, I started. Took our 14 old son then 2 years later, my husband took our next son who turned 14, then year later I took Daughter who was 11( she was more mature at younger age and ready for it, , so was I , lol )

Each child had a great trip that was somewhat catered to their tastes ( the one son with daddy got to go on the autobahn in germany and be in a car doing 200 km,, with me, that would have never happened, lol ) our family finaces were easliy able absorb the expenses over the 5 years. Each trip was nice and long ,ranged from 18 days for one son to 27 days for the daughter. .. depended on itinerary and child.

Interestlying. 2/3 out of three kids got the travel bug, second son enjoyed trip, but said he wasn't fired up to go again , while as other two are hooked

note, two that are hooked were the ones I took,,lol ,, just saying...
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 01:46 AM

We took our kids to the UK at least every other year, even when we did not have very much money, until they got too busy.

We did not take them to any of the Orlando or similar attractions and spent the money going abroad. It can be done.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Justine: I love your idea!! I'll definitely pass that one on!

I remember when our son was about 20, and he said I want to take a trip with you Mom, and then one with Dad.

I was floored, (what 20 year old wants to go on a trip with his "old" mother?) BUT, we went to London and had a fabulous week!

Then it was Dad's turn and they went to VERMONT (?) Well, I understand why, my husband's whole family is from Vermont, and they went golfing mostly.

But my idea would ALWAYS have been a trip to Europe and trips in this country, much as I love it and them, just don't count.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Ack: I have a colleague who did that for about 17 years, as soon as her kids could walk, they went on European trips they could hardly afford, but they did it, and they will never regret it. Different strokes, I guess.

I wish I had done more when our son was younger, though he joined the Merchant Marine and had been around the world by the time he was 19. Got Bachelors and MBA much later. did he know something I didn't?