Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Good Hotels in Florence and Cinque Terre (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/good-hotels-in-florence-and-cinque-terre-80591/)

Stephen Este Jul 24th, 2000 07:10 PM

Good Hotels in Florence and Cinque Terre

<BR>If you are thinking of going to Cinque Terre, it was ungodly crowded in May. I really advise tryng the small town of Levanto. We found it far less touristed than any of the five villages. There is a very nice B&B there called the Villa Margeherita. Very, very nice multilingual management (Federico) who helped us track down lost backpacks from the airport in Milan. Nice hillside setting with views of the ocean, pleasant garden. There was a diverse mix of ages and nationalities staying there. There are very good restaurants in town, a couple of decent bars, and a fair beach. We were only going to stay two nights and stayed four. The Cinque terre is easily accessible by either foot or train from there. They have a website at www.villamargherita.net. <BR> <BR> <BR>In Florence, if you have a car, you may want to check out the Villa I Cipressi. You get the best of both Florence and the Tuscan landscape. Monica and her family rent out rooms in a very pleasant old villa with a huge patio and a surrounding countryside of classic Tuscan cypresses. The rooms are huge and well appointed. You can hang out with the family or be completely left alone depending on your tastes. They can give you great specific instructions of things to see and do and how to get there. It is only 6 km south of Firenze yet seems way out in the country. You can park in the town and then take the city bus into downtown Firenze (about 45 minutes total in traffic) to avoid the nightmare of driving there. Also it is a good base to explore the rest of Tuscany. The 222 heads south toward Sienna.We drove all over every day and returned there at night. From Florence Sud Exit head south toward Impruneta on the 222 about 6 km and there will be a sign on the left. Go down a long gravel road and you're there. They speak English and can be reached at 055 2301089.

Kahoots Jul 25th, 2000 08:07 AM

Well, I can tell you where NOT to stay in Florence: Hotel Annabella. The director promised me a room, took my credit card number and refused to respond after that. He had my credit card number and never gave me the room! Nice Italian hospitality!

alan Jul 28th, 2000 04:51 PM

Just back from Florence. We stayed at the Hotel Helvetia & Bristol. Fantastic location and classy service.....if you can afford then I suggest you book it.....you wont be sorry....check out their web page.

Andrew Jul 28th, 2000 10:30 PM

The last spring i've been in Florence to Hotel Boccaccio, it's a new hotel just renovated, with all the confort and quite rooms to the back. <BR>It's not too expensive, and is located in the historical center of the town. <BR>Traditional Florentine style and the best commodities together.

Brian Kilgore Jul 30th, 2000 06:16 AM

There's a list of Cinque Terre hotels on page 103 of the August issue of Gourmet. (frozen juice bars on the cover) <BR>BAK

Bob Jul 30th, 2000 12:58 PM

We stayed at the Belvedere in Portovenere in October. Very nice hotel and we would recommend it as a HQ to explore the Cinque Terre area.

Barbara Jul 30th, 2000 04:25 PM

We stayed at Pension Pendini-www,tiac.net/users/pendini-a lovely old building with the pension on the fifth floor overlooking Piazza De la Republique-very central and within walking distance of everything. They also had a link to the opera and was able to order tickets throught he net.