Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Good hotel for family with kids on French Riviera?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/good-hotel-for-family-with-kids-on-french-riviera-180000/)

jeannine Aug 24th, 2001 11:00 AM

Good hotel for family with kids on French Riviera??

Hi--starting to do legwork for a family trip summer 2002 to France. We will do Paris and environs for a week, then I would like to go to the Riviera to relax for about 5 days or so. Will have the kids,ages 12 and 16 with us. Can anyone recommend a family friendly hotel, pool is a must, within walking of a beach? I'm assuming I will have to get 2 rooms, and would not like to spend more than 200/night per room, if thats possible. Also, as far as crowds-- would late August (week before Labor Day) be a good time relative to the European vacation schedule?? <BR>Thanks for any input!!

Alex Aug 24th, 2001 12:21 PM

No serious recommendation of a hotel in that price range. You should be aware that August is prime vacation month for the French, Parisians in particular.Brace yourself for horrible motor vehicle traffic. That also means you should make hotel arrangements sooner rather than later. You may also find that you cannot make a reservation at many hotels that are not part of chains, after October. They close until early spring.By then your choices will be very limited. <BR>Finally, much of the Riviera has no beach, at least if you're looking for sand. The beaches in the east are rocky, naturally, though the large hotels sometimes import sand. The really sandy beaches are in the St. Tropez area, far west. There are no hotels on or near the prime beaches there. One drives. <BR>Still, a great trip.

Wendy Aug 24th, 2001 12:33 PM

August is primetime for French vacations. Most of the French head to a beach, thus the RIveria is JAMMED. Still, we have gone many times at the beginning of August and had a great time. We always go to Nice. There, I would recommend either the Radisson SAS, which is on the Promenade des Anglais, across the street from the Mediterranean, or the Hotel Splendid, which is about five blocks in from the Promenade and the sea. Both of these hotels have swimming pools. If you decide that a swimming pool isn't an issue, try the Westminster Concorde, which is closer to Vieux Nice ( flower market, small cafes, boutiques, restaurants). We've gone to this hotel many times and always been impressed with how reasonable it is ( about $200=250 will definitely land you a room there) for its prime location. And its smaller than the Radisson,so the reception seems friendlier. If you're serious about going in August, book as far ahead as possible. It may be difficult to obtain rooms unless you do it now! Another possiblity: If you could split a month's rental with another family, you could probably do pretty well in Nice, anyway, about $1000 a month for an apartment one block in from the beach. Any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Book Chick Aug 24th, 2001 02:50 PM

Hi Jeannine, <BR>Good for you, for wanting to go & great for you for doing your research & planning early! <BR> <BR>In Antibes there are a couple of places that are family-friendly, a short walk to the beach & have pools. <BR> <BR>Hotel Castel Garoupe at 959 blvd. de Garoupe, ph# 04.93.61.36.51, fax# 04.93.67.74.88, they also have a web site www.castel-garoupe.com They have some studios with kitchenettes which may be handy with the little ones & you might not have to book 2 rooms. <BR> <BR>Hotel Mas Djoliba has a top-floor 2 bedrrom suite. They're at 29 ave. de Provence, ph# 04.93.34.02.48, fax# 04.93.34.05.81 <BR> <BR>In Beaulieu, the owner of the Hotel Frisia feels a special kinship toward American families, as he is the result of an American-Swiss marriage. His name is Daniel Hoessly & his hotel's pool is supposed to be installed now. Address is 2 blvd Eugene-Gauthier, ph# 04.93.01.01.04, fax# 04.93.01.31.92 <BR> <BR>Best Wishes for a Wonderful Time! <BR>BC

Sherry Aug 26th, 2001 08:13 AM

Jeannine. I stayed in Beaulieu for a week in May. It was at a residence hotel so the rental would be for one week. The Residence Eiffel had a wonderful pool (heated). Also, I believe that we were about two blocks from beach access. It was too early for beaches when we were there, If you would like all the information, fax, etc please e-mail me and I will dig it out. I think the rental was about $700 for the week for the apartment.

jeannine Sep 7th, 2001 05:38 AM

I think I will aim for the end of June, first week in July instead of August. I've noticed that some of the hotels mentioned do not have A/C. I know its relative, but is that necessary in the summer? I read about how hot and jammed everything is. <BR>Also, the Mas Djoliba--can one walk to the beaches from there? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Book Chick Sep 7th, 2001 06:16 AM

Jeannine, <BR>From the Mas, th bach is about a 10-minute walk. <BR>BC

Book Chick Sep 7th, 2001 06:18 AM

Jeannine, <BR>Sorry--my typing could not possibly get worse! Beach is about a 10-minute walk from the Mas. Hope you guys have a wonderful time! <BR>BC