Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Good deal on apart. in the 15th. Is this a good location for 2nd timers?

Apr 18th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

We have previously stayed in the 7th in a parisperfect apart and loved the area (& the apart'). We still want to be in an apartment but want to be a slightly more budget conscious this time and have found one in the 15th, with holiday-rentals.co.uk . (between Av felix Faure & Rue Lecourbe)

We are more than happy to use local busses and trains but just want to know if there will be much to do, see & local cafes etc in the area. We really want to eat in good casual bistros and go to lots of local fresh food markets.

Added bonus with this one is parking on site, as we will have a car for the last couple of days.
Apr 18th, 2010, 06:27 PM

I have stayed many, many times in an apartment in the 15th, on rue Charles Michel. I love this area! It is not at all touristy (I think it's the only arrondisement in Paris that doesn't have a tourist attraction), but it sits so close to 1 and 5 you are a quick metro ride away from a lot of things. You might be able to come home each night to a view of the Eiffel Tower (I can). There are some great small restaurants and a large Monoprix. For me, the 15th is terrific.
Apr 18th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, the add does say it has ET views from the Dining room.

Sounds like it may be perfect.

thank you
Apr 18th, 2010, 06:37 PM

Oh my gosh, did I say the 1st and 5th? This is why I shouldn't respond late at night I just rethought that. I meant the 7th and Montparnesse area. Regardless, it is lovely to see the ET whenever you want Do find out what metro stop is your closest.
Apr 18th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

I was a bit confused but I could see it was beside the 7th and we loved that area previously. (number eight metro (Lourmel stop)
Apr 18th, 2010, 07:59 PM

We've stayed in Paris Perfect places for 4 1/2 weeks, and 4 weeks in the 15th on R de Amiral Roussin. Both areas are "perfect". You'll love the 15th. "Rue Cler" type food establishments on R Lecourbe & r des Volontaires. Bus access to other region in Paris is excellent. Very close (by bus) to Bon Marche. Lots of cafes. Major market on R de la Covention on Sundays. Hope you're at the east end of Av Felix Faure.

Stu Dudley
Apr 19th, 2010, 01:24 AM

Sounds great to me, too. I stay in the 7th and Paris Perfect. I walk down to Convention area often, Monoprix etc. If you found a good place..go for it.

Enjoy,

Joan
Apr 19th, 2010, 05:35 AM

I like the 15th and it's a perfectly fine residential area. But I don't know about the idea that there will be "things to do" right around the apt. It's just a typical residential quarter, I don't know what you are expecting but don't look for big areas of entertainment or tourist draws.
Apr 19th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Don't miss Le Beurre Noisette, a Michelin Bib Gourmand, which means great food at a reasonable price. Prix-fixe lunch menus at 22 & 30 euros. Should be an easy walk.
Apr 19th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. We booked it today, thanks for the restaurant suggestion. With parking included and a supermarket downstairs and a market Wed' & Sat' in the street behind us, it sounds great. By 'things to do' I mainly meant food/dining options.

Thanks so much, now we just have to secure a London apartment for the 10 days prior to London. Proving a little harder.
Stu, its near Rue Lebianc, not sure if that is East??

AD
Apr 19th, 2010, 10:55 PM
tod

Aussiedreamer - I have a fantastic chapter in one of my books on the 15th Arr. I could scan & send it to you as a reference to what to do in the area? Let me know.
Apr 19th, 2010, 11:36 PM

AD - I've had that apartment bookmarked for a while and look forward to your report. Best wishes for an ash free trip whenever it is.
Apr 20th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Original Poster

you guys are awsome. Tod, yes please [email protected]

farrermog so far the owner has been great to deal with. I'll be sure to let you know. The reviews were good. We don't leave 'till July, you may be there before us?

DD1 is leaving to live in the UK for 2 years next month, I'm sure the ash issues will be all over and cleared by then, fingers crossed.
Apr 21st, 2010, 09:30 AM
tod

aussiedreamer - It has been sent!
Apr 21st, 2010, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tod............. I haven't seen it yet!!! Hopefully its just out in cyberspace?
Apr 22nd, 2010, 06:22 AM

aussiedreamer, I've only stayed around rue St Charles as I really like that area, but sq St Lambert is nice and there is a good art cinema there. Lots of people hang out there, with kids. There seem to be enough restaurants around there, although one of my favorites is over near the Charles Michels metro stop as that is where I stay. I like Bistro Champetre which is about two blocks south of metro Charles Michels on rue St Charles.

I can't find a rue Lebianc there. If you mean rue Leblanc, that is about on the peripherique near the Balard metro station and really at the very end of both Felix Faure and Lourmel. It is near parc Andre Citroen, though, and near a metro station. That is a very good website (holidayrentals.co.uk), I found some apts in that area I was interested in and they are hard to find on most Paris vacation apt websites (ones in the 15th). They have quite a few attractive ones in that area. There is a tram I really like that goes around the edge of Paris now (the T3) and it will be stopping at Balard.

MelJ, if you read this -- do you mind saying what website or URL is the apt. you rent on rue St Charles that you like? I like that area also so was interested.
Apr 22nd, 2010, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi Christina, sorry it would be rue Leblanc (should've had my glass's on ;-) )

Thanks for all the info and as you will see it is through holidayrentals.co.uk

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p412345#photos-bar