Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Good Day Trip from Mykonos? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/good-day-trip-from-mykonos-615918/)

HTexas May 16th, 2006 04:42 AM

Good Day Trip from Mykonos?

I'll be in Mykonos in about 1 1/2 weeks. Would anyone be able to recommend a good day trip from Mykonos? Any worth checking out? Are the evening sunset cruises enjoyable and a must? I have several days to spend in Mykonos so just want to explore all of the options for side trips (no overnight side trips). Thank you.

TheVagabondLady May 16th, 2006 04:59 AM

We did a day trip to Delos and it was very nice indeed. Nothing really there except ruins, nice walking...no trees...freaked me out a little only a little Stand that sold refreshments but there was also a small museum there that was free.

Look for the headless statue of Isis.

Have fun...

Delos was supposedly the birth place of Appolo and Artemis also a Millennia ago, it was declared illegal for anyone to have the bad manners of being born or dying on the island of Delos.

Remember to Light a candle at the small chapel dedicated to the safety of those who travel at sea, conveniently located where the boats dock.

TheVagabondLady May 16th, 2006 05:07 AM

You could also go to the island of Tinos....we didn't get to go but I had originally planned to but we ran out of time.

It is known for the famous church of the Panagia (virgin)plus the architecture is supposdely fantastic. Nice beaches, mountains, etc....

TheVagabondLady May 16th, 2006 05:09 AM

We also rented a car and the island was extremely easy to navigate and we drove to all the different beaches and all over. That was extremely fun...

As you can tell, I really enjoyed Mykonos....

wug May 16th, 2006 09:21 AM

I vote for Delos as well. I've been several times and we're going back to Mykonos this trip just so that our daughter can see Delos. The entire island is one large ruin. You can wander on your own and spend as much time as you like. The interesting part is that you can still see the infrastructure as far as plumbing, etc. and you can look over the island when you're at a high point and see the layout of the city. Also, incredible mosaic floors still intact. I say it's a must do if you're on Mykonos.

We've also driven around the island. There are many secluded beaches... although not as secluded as they were 10 and 20 years ago, but very nice.

Chicago_Heather May 16th, 2006 10:12 AM

If you need another vote for Delos, this is it. The mythological history is absolutely fascinating.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Gaspard May 18th, 2006 10:08 PM

Paros, Naoussa

brotherleelove2004 May 19th, 2006 07:49 AM

There's an excursion available from Mykonos that includes Delos, Paros and I think Naxos as well.

eliztrav May 19th, 2006 07:58 AM

Absolutely, Delos. We had the good fortune of visiting it from Mykonos in the month of April, when all the wild flowers were in bloom. Glorious sight!