Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is better for sightseeing - sandals with strap in the back or no?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering what experience different Fodorites had with certain types of shoes. As I begin my quest for the perfect sightseeing sandal that won't leave my feet in blisters and lets me continue on with hours upon hours of sight seeing.

Here are the two different types of sandals I am debating - one with a strap on the back or one without. My thoughts are that the one with the strap in the back will be better for traction and those cobblestone streets (Paris, Venice, Bellagio, etc), however after all those hours I would assume my feet would get sweaty and that strap in the back will fall down a bit off my foot.

I know the best way to find all this out would be to give the shoe a trial run which I intend I do. I was just wanting to post this forum to get some initial feedback. Thanks to all!
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 03:10 PM

This is REALLY a personal quesiton, but I would not do the ones without the strap for the very reasons you mention. Eaisier to fall off, easier to slip. Mine have a strap in the back and it's never "fallen off" so if they are well fitted I don't think that's going to be a problem.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
without the strap ,if you slip,the shoe may fall off, it happened to me. And if in a crowded city, some guy may step on the back of that sandal. They should not be worn for site seeing, climbing or hopping on metros
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

I like this brand of shoes called Switch Flops. The bow on the front just snaps off and you can buy all these interchangeable snap on's when you want to change your outfit. I am hoping they are comfortable enough for sight seeing. I will have to try them out. They have the strap on the back. See link below.

http://www.patchington.com/products/...e--2-Heel.aspx
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 04:01 PM

They're adorable but will they be comfortable for walking all day?

I would definitely get a back strap to secure the sandal. You'd have to be sweating buckets to have your heel sweat.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 04:14 PM

Hi Jill, I assume that the bows have a tab on the back that goes under the top of the shoe? If so that was available ages ago and my experience as well as other womens experience was that the tab can sure get irritating on the top of your foot. It worked for say going to dinner but not for walking all day while sightseeing.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I am praying that they will be comfortable because I can get all these different snap on's to go with my different outfits instead of packing too many shoes!! It is a genius idea. If you go to the website, you can see all the different snap on's. www.switchflops.com

The store I bought them from are ordering it in my size (hard to find a size 5) and I hope they will be okay. If not, naturalizer and aerosoles seem like they have cute styles. Do you have any recommendations for sandals with a little wedge that would be comfortable? ( I am 5 feet tall so I do not wear flats)
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Loveitaly - the bows actually just snap on! See the website and let me know what you think. www.switchflops. (more than just bows, but some elegant options too)

Yes, comfort is more important than style. I am hoping to get both!
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 04:28 PM

Personally, I hate flip flops. I find them uncomfortable and have walked out of them several times. If you don't require any support for your feet, I guess go for it. Me, if I wear sandals, they are usually by Keen or Merrel. I like my toes covered, especially while touring cities.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 04:32 PM

Hi Jill, it is so strange but this time when I click on the website I get the notice the website is not available.

Anyway, if I am understanding you properly the decoration just snaps on to the top of the shoe versus a tab going underneath the top of the shoe? If so, that wouldn't be a problem. Comfort but with style, I can so relate! And you wear a size 5, I imagine you look wonderful no matter what shoe you wear, Jill! Even when I have been gone two months I have only taken three pair of shoes, a walking shoe..in my case rather a flat shoe but with a good sole, a pair of wedgies and a dressier pair for evenings plus a pair of lightweight flipflops to use as slippers or if around a pool or on the beach or even to throw on it running out to a cafe for coffee before showering and dressing for the day. The walking shoe worn on the plane and the others in my luggage.
I tried that website again and it is still not available, how strange as I was able to click it on the first time.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 04:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
jill, in case of allergies due to the snap ons.
I use masking tape on my jeans back of the metal button. I'm highly allergic to nichel. Whether nichel or other metals if it scratches against you skin, try the masking tape or other kinds.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Elcon - thanks for the reommendations. I will look into them. I do not want the flip flops either for sightseeing. I am looking more at the sandals,wedge's,etc.

LoveItaly - Thanks for your kind words! here is the website. I just clicked on it and it worked. http://www.patchington.com/products/...e--2-Heel.aspx

Then, to see all the snap on options - www.switchflops.com
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 03:52 AM

I prefer a backstrap also. The sidewalks and roads are sometimes uneven and I feel more secure with the backstrap. Comfort is a personal thing, you just need to try them. For me, I have had good success with Wolky, Clark's and Aravon. I like a good sturdy bottom to the sandal and I need good arch support. I always bring some sort of regular with me when I travel to wear if it rains.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 05:24 AM

That is not a new idea, I had shoes with that option several years ago.

The shoe is cute and would be good for short walks but not for all day sightseeing. If you buy it walk a couple of miles in it before deciding if it will be your main shoe for your trip.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 05:31 AM

When I'm in Paris, I typically walk at least 10 miles a day, often more. There is no way those shoes would work for me. In fact, I can't think of a single trip to Paris, and I have made more than 100, where I wore sandals for touring. Ever. I might go back to my hotel and put on a pair of sandals to walk a few blocks to dinner, but for trekking around the city, just no way. YMMV.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

StCirq and Luisah - do you just wear sneakers all day since those are probably most comfortable?
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 06:14 AM

No, I definitely don't wear sneakers - only at the gym. I have innumerable pairs of shoes (call me Imelda) - Aerosoles, Clark's, Nine West, Two Lips, BCBG, and others that are stylish and comfortable and have good support and tread. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. You don't have to put on Birkenstocks and wool socks or flap around in flip-flops to walk around a city. I do the same as I do when I'm in NYC or Chicago or Africa or Asia or the Caribbean or anywhere else.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 06:22 AM

For Bellagio you will definitely need sturdy (but stylish!) walking shoes. There are many cobblestone steps which take you up & down in town and also to Pescallo, if you choose to walk there.

Tsubo walking shoes & Ecco sandals were my footwear of choice for Italy last September. I also took a pair of silver Ecco flats for a "dressier" evening look with pants. As well, I packed a pair of leather flip flops to wear as slippers.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 06:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Those shoes would be OK for going out at night or a bit of light walking -- but for sightseeing all day -- they'd be impossible IMO.

It isn't just the walking - and even if you aren't 'walkers' normally, you will be in Europe. Miles and miles every single day. But it is also the standing on hard surfaces - in museums, on the metro, on buses, in the churches. Those shoes probably wouldn't cut it for one full day let alone a whole trip.

And no - 'sneakers' are not the only alternative. I never take athletic shoes on a city-centric trip. There are PLENTY of attractive walking shoes and sandals.

I personally wouldn't take a pair of shoes I could only wear at night or for short spells.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 06:39 AM

<<StCirq and Luisah - do you just wear sneakers all day since those are probably most comfortable?>>

No, I don't. I do wear a sneaker-type shoe when I know I'll be walking on dirt and rock paths because I don't mind getting them dirty and I can toss them in the washer.

Otherwise, for my main shoes, I wear leather walking shoes with good arch support and lots of sole padding. I have Cole Haan shoes with the Nike Air heel, which are super comfortable and come in a variety of colors and Munro's with two-tone mesh and suede and velcro straps.

In winter I wear leather, rubber-heeled, water-proof ankle boots that are very comfortable. I've walked all over Paris in them and stepped in puddles and stood on freezing ground and had no discomfort.

Keep looking, you'll find the right shoe for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -