Good cheap place to stay in Edinburgh?

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 06:36 PM
Christy

Good cheap place to stay in Edinburgh?

Hi there...I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced place to stay in Edinburgh. We're going in early July (there will be 5 adults) and would like to stay somewhat close to the city centre. We're not to particular, as long as it's clean! thanks!

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 07:43 PM
Cara

I recently stayed at the Old Waverly Hotel on Princes Street for a week and found it to be very suitable for my needs. It was clean, friendly staff, reasonable rates and an excellent location.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 06:11 AM
nessie

I loved staying at the Backpacker's Royal Mile Hostel, 105 High Street (tel: 557 61 20) It's very central, clean, cheap and friendly-- I met lots of great travelers from all over the world there. They have free tea/ cereals, do-it-yourself kitchen and if you stay 7 nights, the last night is free. Have fun...

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 11:39 AM
Kristen

Christy: Check out http://www.aboutscotland.com/edin/rentals.html for self-catering rentals - much cheaper than staying in a hotel. I found a flat through this website (7 St. Marys) for my boyfriend and I to stay in - were there for 6 nights last week, and it only cost 240GBP!!! Fantastic deal, and our flat was right on the Royal Mile. Good luck!

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Margo Classe

Check out what I wrote about room #8 for five people. <BR>AILSA CRAIG: 24 Royal Terrace. EH7 5AH. Tel: 0131-5561022. Tel/Fax: 0131-5566055. Web site: <BR>http://www.townhousehotels.co.uk/ <BR>E-mail: [email protected] (18 rms., 15 w/toilet & bath or shower.) £60 single; £85-100 double; £135 triple; £180 quad. Call for quint & sextet rates. Full Scottish breakfast (8-9am) is included in the rates & served in an elegantly furnished breakfast rm. w/working fireplace. Visa, MC, AX, DC. Elegant & charming refurbished 19th-century Georgian terraced townhouse w/beautifully furnished & individually decorated nice-size airy pretty rms., cable TV, phones, #10 is a wonderful large rm. w/2 twin beds, mini chandeliers, large bathroom w/bathtub & faces the street/park; #7 (bathtub w/toilet) & 17 (shower w/toilet) both are small rms. w/double beds & face terraced garden; #18 has 2 twin beds, shower w/toilet & faces terraced garden; #4 & 2 both are lower level small rms. w/double beds & showers w/toilets at £85 for a double; #16 (wonderful large rm. w/double bed, twin bed, shower w/toilet & faces terraced garden) is for a triple but can fit an extra fold-up bed for a family; #6 (wonderful huge rm. w/double bed, 2 twin beds, large bathroom w/bathtub & 2 floor-to-ceiling windows w/tiny balconies that face the street/park) & 3 (huge lower level-rm. w/double bed, 2 twin beds, bathtub w//toilet & faces back) are for a family; #8 (wonderful huge rm. w/double bed, 3 twin beds, bathtub w/toilet & faces terraced garden) is for a quint; high ceilings, hairdriers, tea/coffee makers in each rm., carpeted flrs., many of the original features remain, the hotel overlooks the Royal Terrace Gardens, bar, no elevator, 3 flrs. & lower level. They offer half-board rates. This hotel is not family-owned. Catherine & her husband have managed the hotel for more than 20 yrs. Same company owns Hotel Greenside. <BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Jm

We were in Edinburgh 2 years ago and stayed at Joppa Turrets (NOTE Turrets not Towers - I have heard Joppa Towers is NOT nice) However Joppa Turrets was very pleasant - every room has a view of the Firth of Forth, wery clean, friendly helpful owners, good price (29 pounds per person for a room with an ensuite bathroom). Nice variety for breakfast (other choices besides the usual Bacon and Eggs). We really liked the location (right on the Firth of Forth- nice walkway along the beach, about 3 miles from downtown,very frequent buses - we never waited longer than 5 minutes and the bus ride was only about 10 minutes). Check out their web page: <BR>www.joppaturrets.demon.co.uk <BR>It has some good pictures and accurate info.