Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   good car rental company in france? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/good-car-rental-company-in-france-458043/)

lehcar Dec 7th, 2008 11:29 AM

good car rental company in france?

i've been contemplating which car rental company to use from CDG. sixt seems to get a lot of recommendations on fodors, but they don't guarantee child car seats (according to their website it's based on availability). hertz guarantees child seats, but prices are over $100+ more and will have to pay up front. GPS is a must. any suggestions? merci beaucoup!

ira Dec 7th, 2008 01:39 PM

Hi Le,

I use www.kemwel.com www.autoeurope.com
www.gemut.com

((I))

lehcar Dec 9th, 2008 08:55 PM

have folks on this forum who have rented cars in france always gotten a car seat with an advance request?

ParisAmsterdam Dec 10th, 2008 05:11 AM

I think the difference in price of $100 is negligible when you consider the overall cost of your trip and the safety of your child.

But check with your airline... seems to me most allow you to take a car seat at no charge...

Rob

lehcar Dec 10th, 2008 03:06 PM

yes! found the answer i was looking for on a FAQ section about renting from sixt...

Child seats are mandatory in most countries and must be requested at time of reservation - if this is done at least seven days prior to the hire start date we will guarantee this additional extra. Although instructions will be provided, the hirer will be required to fit the child seat.

hope this helps others.

RJD Dec 10th, 2008 03:33 PM

We rent through Auto Europe, which may be a tad more expensive then renting directly from the European companies, but they have been responsive and efficient, even when we needed to make changes i.e., picking up a car a day early. Overall a good experience.

GeorgiaM Dec 10th, 2008 03:39 PM

Hi,
I have traveled through Europe by car for 3 times with Europcar...I have really loved it, had no problems at all, and the prices are good.

ira Dec 11th, 2008 04:36 AM

Autoeurope, kemwel, sixt, etc are brokers.

They can often give you a lower price than going through the rental agencies.

AE guarantees that they will better any other offer (mostly).

((I))

milliieandbill Dec 11th, 2008 05:15 AM

Hi,
Our problem is not kiddie seats. Quite the opposite. In the UK in May this year, we ran into difficulty renting cars because our drivers are over 70, one is over 75. Either no car at all, or a large daily rate added. We finally found a company that had no rules of that sort.

We are off to France in Sept 09. Will we have the same problem?

eurotravler Dec 11th, 2008 05:40 AM

I believe Ira made a mistake - Sixt is not a broker but a German based rental company. The best quote I received for a two week rental in Marseille for May 09 came from Sixt. Auto Europe or Kemwell would not match it!

GuyC Dec 26th, 2008 09:10 AM

Book through gemut.com (800-521-6722). Talk to Andy. I've been using him for years for my Germany rentals and he knows more about renting cars in Europe than anyone I've ever spoken to. A child's seat at CDG should be about 45 euro. He will confirm in advance. Anything you book with him you can cancel for any reason, no charge. The guy knows his stuff. Many positive posts about him on Rick Steves.

FrankS Dec 26th, 2008 09:18 AM

Avis