Good Books for Travel: Prague, Bavaria, Bosnia, Croatia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love suggestions for good historical fiction set in Prague, Bavaria (visiting Salzburg/Garmisch/Munich areas), Sarajevo/Mostar and Croatia... Looking for books for both myself and kids (Sons - 15 and 13, Daughter - 10) to read before and during our trip to give some good perspectives to the regions we're visiting.. thanks in advance for any and all thoughts!! I have done quite a bit of research.. but would love to hear personal recommendations rather than just Amazon /YA results!
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 05:08 AM

Not historical fiction (unless you count books about the war in the 1990's historical) but the mysteries Lie in the Dark and Small Boat of great Sorrows by Dan Fesperman and The Cello of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway are very good. I read quite a lot of non-fiction about Bosnia & Herzegovina, too if you are interested in that list.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 05:22 AM

The People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks was fascinating. It's about the Sarajevo Hagadah.

For Prague - Beyond the Chestnut Trees - about a woman who grew up in Prague in a well to do family and returns after a 40 year absence. I read this years ago and have been trying to remember the name so I could re-read it. I just found it on Amazon.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 07:27 AM

Black Falcon and Grey Lamb is pretty much all you need to know about serbo-croatian history up to WWII, though she is pretty pro Serb. It is a major work of art and a major read (l-o-n-g) but worth every minute.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 07:56 AM

Zlata's Diary for children. You can see some of Zlata's writing and paintings in the War Museum opposite the Holiday Inn in Sarajevo.

For adults...

Cellist of Sarajevo
The Girl in the Film
Black Soul
The works of Ivo Andric ie Bosnian Chronicles, etc.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 11:55 AM

The Bridge on the Drina is another book that has come highly recommended, but I have not read it myself yet.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the great input! I did run across some of these in my research - but definitely some new books, and of course your recommendations make all the difference. I am now loaded down with Bosnia-Croatia books -- with one recommendation for Prague.. Any other ideas for me or the kids for Germany/Austria (we'll be in Bavaria - Garmisch and Salzburg) or others for Prague? ALso interested in movie suggestions.. prefer those we could watch with our children.. Appreciate your taking the time to give us your ideas!

Vtt Traveler - I have read one non-fiction re Bosnia/Croatia -- Balkan Ghosts - which i really enjoyed, and am definitely open to others!
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 01:25 PM

For you and the kids: The Book Thief.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Book-Thi...0899877&sr=1-1
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 03:24 AM

For non-fiction:
As noted above, Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Rebecca West is an excellent book about the Balkans, but it is looong. I read the sections on Croatia and BiH. You could even just read the account of the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand.

Love thy Neighbor: A Story of War by Peter Maass (story of the 1990's conflict as seen through the eyes of a reporter)

Hearts Grown Brutal: Sagas of Sarajevo by Roger Cohen

I also read The Tiger's Wife, the recent novel by Téa Obreht. It is set in a non-specified Balkan country but probably closest to serbia since that is where the author's family is from.

For Bavaria, Patrick Leigh Fermor's classic memoir, A Time of Gifts, is very good.

I don't know how your kids, even the older ones, would react to the books about the war--they are pretty intense.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

thanks again vtt traveller.. i will ck these out!
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 06:05 AM

For a flavor of Czech literature you could read Milan Kundera, particularly The Unbearable Lightness of Being which takes place during the Prague Spring. It's not something for children as it's too philosophical and it's difficult read (although short). I read it the last time I was in Prague (along with Slowness by the same author) since I wanted something Czech. The Unbearable Lightness of Being was made into a movie but I didn't see it so I can't say if it was a good movie or not. According to Wikipedia, Kundera states that the movie had little to do with the characters or the spirit of the novel.

Another movie that takes place in Prague (in Czech with English subtitles) is Kolya. This is a wonderful movie that you could enjoy with your children. It won an Academy Award for best foreign film in 1996. I saw it when it first came out and vividly remember the subway scene with the long escalator so I was prepared for the very deep Czech subway when I encountered it. From the top of the escalator it appears that you'll never get to the bottom (or the end of the escalator is on the other side of the world).