Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Good & AFFORDABLE restaurant in Venice??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/good-and-affordable-restaurant-in-venice-205146/)

Carolyn Apr 24th, 2002 02:14 PM

Good & AFFORDABLE restaurant in Venice???

Are there any restaurants that are good, and won't break the bank in Venice, Italy? <BR>Also, does anyone know how to go about<BR>getting tickets to a symphony in Venice?<BR>Thanks

dean Apr 24th, 2002 08:14 PM

I would reccomend Da Piinto in Campo della Beccarie across from the fish market. Great fish, woonderful chicchetti, about 100 a couple for a nice meal with a very good bottle of wine. <BR><BR>Alla Frasca is very small and traditional. They serve one pasta at lunch with great Cicchetti. <BR><BR>Ca D'Oro also known as Alla Vedova is also very nice.<BR><BR>For a standing meal, try the Chicetti at Achiuguette or Do Mori.<BR><BR>

Kavey Apr 25th, 2002 12:53 AM

Carolyn<BR>There are many good restaurants in Venice which are not as expensive as the "top" ones often mentioned here.<BR>I would recommend La Rivista which is in the Dorsoduro area, close to the Accademia Bridge, and part of the funky hotel Ca' Pisani. <BR>The menu is not long but everything is wonderful, I loved the bread basket, particularly the rolls with olive chunks and the ones with walnut pieces. Our pastas were superb, one was a spaghetti with goose foie gras and cauliflower and the other a garganelli pasta with rabbit ragout and spring onion. Dessert was also superb. We didn't have starters, and had a beer and a soft drink and a bottle of water. The bill for 2 was under 50 Euros.<BR>Kavey

lucille Apr 25th, 2002 09:27 AM

I really enjoy the food at the numerous stand up sidewalk counters... coffee, wine, pastries, delicious pre-made sandwiches in a glass case. Not exactly a 'restaurant' but fun and certainly won't break the bank!

Leslie Apr 25th, 2002 09:49 AM

Our family really enjoyed our meal at Trattoria alla Madonna on a little side street Calle de la Madonna, in the San Palo area, just across the Rialto Bridge. Reasonably priced for Venice. Very lively, friendly waiters. You do need a reservation for dinner as it was quite bustling!

Leslie Apr 25th, 2002 09:51 AM

Correction, that's "San Polo" area...

elaine Apr 25th, 2002 09:54 AM

Trattoria San Toma, in Campo San Toma<BR>Pizza and bargain set menu available in addition to other dishes. Simple neighborhood place, very casual, good food, even good desserts. Outdoor dining in private garden or in the campo in good weather. <BR>You might also want to consult the reliable "Cheap Eats in Italy" book.

Muriel Apr 25th, 2002 10:07 AM

We liked Antica Trattoria Poste Vecie by the fish market at the Rialto, delicious fish dishes. Medium priced, originally built in the 1500's. Nice fireplace in the evening. Very romantic.

Mr. Go Apr 25th, 2002 10:52 AM

I second Leslie's suggestion of the Trattoria alla Madonna. Get the seafood soup...a classic!

topper Apr 25th, 2002 10:58 PM

topping