Reload this Page >

Good 1/2 day tour in Rome??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 1999, 06:06 AM
Marcie

Will only be in Rome for two full days so thought a 1/2 day tour would be good. Any suggestions what sites are best seen on a tour? Does the bus come to the hotels or is there a central meeting spot to q-up?

Old May 4th, 1999, 07:47 AM
Byrd

I suggest you try the American Express tours. The office is very near the Spanish Steps, and the groups gather there. The tour guides we had were excellent. <BR>

Old May 4th, 1999, 07:48 AM
Byrd

I suggest you try the American Express tours. The office is very near the Spanish Steps, and the groups gather there. The tour guides we had were excellent. <BR>

Old May 4th, 1999, 09:43 AM
cherie

Forget the tour. Go instead to Vatican and "tour" on your own the Treasury! The display is lengthy and is great if the weather is lousey as you are "inside". The interior of the Vatican has so much that touring the Treasury is a special addition and worth the walk.

Old May 4th, 1999, 01:34 PM
Paulo

There are 4 basic Rome tours run by several operators (3 hrs each). The bus may either pick you up or drop you of at your hotel. The last two below are more expensive because they include the entrance fees to the Vatican Museums and a Catacomb, respectively. The tours run by American Express indeed appear to be somewhat better, followed by the Appian Line tours. The first time shown below is the hotel pick-up. The schedule is the same for all operators. <BR> <BR>* CLASSIC (or MONUMENTAL) ROME - Quirinale Palace, Trevi Fountain (visit), Pantheon (visit), Piazza Navona (visit), Castel Sant'Angelo, St Peter's Basilica (3 hrs) daily 8:00/9:00 am <BR> <BR>* IMPERIAL (or ANCIENT) ROME - Piazza Venezia (stop), Capitos Square (visit), Roman Forum, St Peter In Chains (visit Michelangelo's Moses), Colosseum (visit to the free sectors), Arch of Constantine, Circus Maximus, Caius Cestius Pyramid (eventual visit), St Paul's Basilica (visit), daily 2:00/3:00 pm <BR> <BR>* THE VATICAN MUSEUMS - the Tapestry Gallery, Raphael's Rooms, The Modern Sacred Art Collection, Vatican Library, the Sistine Chapel - daily 7:30/8:00am (Except on Sundays & Religious Holidays) <BR> <BR>* CHRISTIAN ROME (Basilica of St. Maria Maggiore (visit), Holy Stairs (visit), The Basilica of St. John's in Laterano (visit), The Old Appian Way, Quo Vadis Chapel - visit either St Sebastian or St Callisto Catacombs - daily 2:00/3:00pm <BR> <BR>IMO, it doesn't make much sense to pay a bus to visit the sites of Classic Rome and/or the Vatican Museums. You'll visit the sites anyway and if you care for a guide (e.g., the Vatican Museums) you may get one on site much cheaper. <BR> <BR>The Imperial Rome and Christian Rome tours do cover some ground. You wouldn't be able to do any of them on your own, using public transportation, in 3 hours. <BR> <BR>Don't expect very much ... or you'll be disapointed. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. There are also half day tours to Tivoli or Rome environs and Night tours with or without dinner/music.

Old May 4th, 1999, 04:34 PM
Boots

I like the #110 bus tour that leaves from Cinquecento square in front of Termini station at 2 p.m. I think it is run by the city of Rome. A driver/guide drives a rickety bus to the major monuments of Rome. I think one gets out four to six times in the three and one-half hour trip. I take it every time I am in Rome, and I enjoy it every time. And it is cheap, less than $10. You will know what you want to return to. <BR>