Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Gondola Rides-average price for 2 people? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/gondola-rides-average-price-for-2-people-185499/)

lori Sep 5th, 2001 10:00 AM

Gondola Rides-average price for 2 people?

My husband and I would like to take a gondola ride while in Venice (we are going in a few weeks). I have a few questions: <BR>1.) What should we be expecting to pay for just the two of us for a ride? Do you try to bargain with them or not? <BR>2.) How long do they last or do you decide that? <BR>3.) Should we go on the Grand Canal or off on the smaller canals? <BR>4.) Will you pay more if they sing or play music? <BR>5.) Do you think they are best during the day or night? <BR>I have read some of your thoughts on the rides but wanted these specific questions to be answered. I really appreciate any help or advice you all have to give. <BR>Thanks!

Rex Sep 5th, 2001 10:19 AM

I think that the price is almost always the same - - whether you are a two-some or have as many as five. 150.000 average? might get it down to 100.000 or 120.000 - - and you might expect to hear prices at 200.000 initially- - and yes, walk away, and you will hear a better price. <BR> <BR>I have been offered a choice "short" (46 minutes) or "longer" (60-70 minutes). I think I have dome one of each. I'm not sure there was a choice in 1998. <BR> <BR>I have only been on the smaller canals, starting on the basin near Hotel San Gallo (between Bonvecchiati and Pzza S. Marco) - - I don't believe I would have enjoyed the Grand Caznal more - - maybe not as much. <BR> <BR>Pay more for singing or accordion? Well, for sure, if it is a separate guy playing or singing. Otherwise, I do not know - - we had guys who talked - - the one in 1998 was better. <BR> <BR>Went late at night both times. Highly desirable - - but cannot compare to daytime for you. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Diane Sep 5th, 2001 11:23 AM

In 1997, daytime, we paid 80,000 lire for a gondola ride for two. He started at 140,000 and worked his way down to 80,000 each time we said no. He was the second gondolier to offer 80,000. The ride was about 45 minutes. Weather permitting and a romantic partner, I would choose a night ride.

Mr. Go Sep 5th, 2001 12:27 PM

If romance is the point, then do it at night (when it's more expensive) and damn the expense. <BR> <BR>I went for an afternoon ride with my wife and 8-year-old daughter just 5 days ago. The 40-minute ride was 120,000L, and you could see more in the daylight. Talked him down from 150,000. Definitely go on the smaller rios!

Rod Hoots Sep 5th, 2001 12:49 PM

When you get to Venice, check at the American Express office off San Marco Piazza. They used to have a daily package at 4PM that included a tour of the Frari church and then a group gondola ride with accordianist, etc. I think it was 140,000 Lire.

tim Sep 5th, 2001 02:51 PM

The price varies but should be around $75-80 US dollars. Go at night and get one that sings!