Gondola in Venice

Mar 28th, 2001, 05:43 AM
vs

Gondola in Venice

How much can one expect to pay for the water taxi between the train station in Venice and most hotels? Thanks!

Mar 28th, 2001, 05:47 AM
elaine

Hi
I'm not sure if you realize that a water taxi isn't the same as a gondola ride isn't the same as the vaporetto boat (water bus).

Mar 28th, 2001, 06:55 AM
sandi

Ususally, when choosing to take a gondola ride, you choose a 30 min, 45 min or an hour ride. It's way too expensive to take it from one stop to another..that's what the vap is for. But you can expect to pay $50. - $75.00 (US) for a 30- 40 minute ride.

Mar 28th, 2001, 09:09 AM
ro

this question has come up before and i will answer it the best way i can. in my case, i have waited my whole adult life to go to italy and its costing a few thousand dollars; i dont care how much that gondola ride costs. i'm going!

Mar 28th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Thyra

Ro, you go girl!! I felt the same way and that gondola ride was one of the highlights of my life... no joke.. we loved it so much we took another one at night. IMO it would have been worth it at triple the cost!

Mar 29th, 2001, 04:25 AM
Kathy

In answer to the original questions about a water taxi (no gondola), you can expect it to be about 40 to 50 bucks (depending on where your hotel is). Ours was in St. Mark Square. It's not cheap, but was worth the money. We took the "water bus" to get there and it took forever and did not drop us right at our hotel like the taxi does. We had to walk a pretty good distance with luggage.

Mar 29th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Roger & Amy

vs,

Expect to pay about $75 for a ride from the station to your hotel. This is a private boat. If you take public transportation, it will take you a while but it is cheaper, I recommend the taxi. A gondola ride can last 30 minustes or 45 minutes depending on what you are willing to pay. If I remember right, it is $75 for 45 minustes though I may be off a little. We took our ride after the sun had gone down and we LOVED it. Well worth the cost.

Roger and Amy

Mar 29th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Mike

We were in Venice two weeks ago and the gondola rides varied depending on your bargainning. They started at 375,000 lira and finished at 200,000. Don't pay the first price just walk away. But do a gondola. We were in Venice two years ago and passed on the gondola and regretted it.

Mar 30th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Jo Ann

Check with the AX office in St. Marco. I got an evening 50min gondola ride with music for about $30. There were several of us in the gondola but it was very nice. I was in the one with the musicians. You board at the Gritti Palace. Just ask for the AX office and if you look down you'll see the directions in mosaics. The entrance is at the far end of piazza facing St. Marco. Just walk as though you're heading for the Gritti. It was just at twilight and great value. Hope it helps.

Mar 30th, 2001, 07:43 PM
Rod Hoots

From the train station, you get to your hotel by vaporetto (public ferry boat) or private water taxi (motor launch). If your hotel is near a vaporetto station (call or E-mail your hotel), it's foolish to pay a lot. However, if you need to take a taxi it is very convenient and elegant.

I also vote for the American Express gondola package. Leaves from the Amex office at 4 PM every day and starts with a tour of the beautiful Frari church. The group then loads into gondolas for a canal ride, complete with a singer and usually an accordianist. Much more fun and much more reasonable than doing it on your own.