Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Golf Resort in Scotland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/golf-resort-in-scotland-297229/)

emckeeve Mar 12th, 2003 02:14 PM

Golf Resort in Scotland

I may surprise my husband with a side trip to Scotland for golf. (We both play.) We would have just three nights and two days to spend. I am thinking Carnousite, St. Andrews, Gleneagles, etc. Does anyone have any thoughts? We would also like easy access from an airport - we'll be flying from London. Thanks.

sheila Mar 12th, 2003 02:21 PM

When. It's hard to get a tee at St Andrews (Old Course). All are about an hour's drive from Edinburgh (give or take).<BR><BR>All have wonderful hotels on site.<BR><BR>FWIW I'd choose Gleneagles, but tastes are very different. Have you played much links golf?

Snoopy Mar 12th, 2003 02:28 PM

Get a golf pro at a local club to make arrangements for you through the PGA. It will make things far easier than simply showing up . . .

uncle_sam Mar 12th, 2003 05:09 PM

To play the St. Andrews Old course you have to have a certified golf handicap and I think that it may have to be 18 or lower.<BR><BR>If you are a &quot;single&quot;, and if you get there early I think they gave a lottery each day and they can often work you in during the day.<BR><BR>While the Old course is the one to play, I think that they have four or five courses at St. Andrews.<BR><BR>US

janis Mar 12th, 2003 05:30 PM

If you want a typical links style course - then it would be Carnoustie or St Andrews. All my golfing friends I have taken to Scotland have unamimously decalred Carnoustie an amazingly tough course and not a great deal of &quot;fun&quot;. So that gets you to St Andrews. To get a guaranteed tee time you must book the previouis Fall. But the daily lottery is an option - call them in the morning and by 5PM you will know if you will get on the next day. You must have handicap certs or letters from your club Pro. But even w/o the lottery a single or double can usually get on because the starter will put you in with a willing twosome (or threesome for a single).<BR><BR>I have taken golfers to St Andrews on 6 or 7 different trips - twice with advance tee times - and every time they were able to play the old course. But a LOT depends on when you are going - if it is the off season your chances are even better.<BR><BR>There are so many good courses in the area that you could stay your two days and try the lottery each morniing. In the meantime you could play other St Andrews courses, Crail, Kingsbarns, Lundin Links or other great ones.

_jinx_ Mar 12th, 2003 06:39 PM

The big question is, &quot;When will you be in Scotland?&quot;. I can almost assure you that all tee time are booked until late fall of this year at the courses you mentioned. Maybe in late October-early November, you could get on.<BR><BR>If cost is no object, you might get on by staying at the Turnberry Hotel (about $350 per night + $150 for golf). Telephone: 011 44 1655 331000. Or try the Old Course Hotel at St. Andrews (again, $350 per night + $175 for playing the Old Course). Telephone: 011 44 1334 74371. Carnoustie has a new luxury hotel and you might stand a better chance to get on the course there (it is a very demanding links, especially in the wind). Telephone:011 44 1241 853789.<BR><BR>My recommendation would be to to out to North Berwick, about 25 miles east of Edinburgh. A classic championship links located in a marvelous seacoast resort village. You might get on by calling 011 44 1620 892135. Green fees were about $50 three years ago. It is a delight, and ladies are welcome. Good luck in your search.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Jinx Hoover

emckeeve Mar 14th, 2003 04:42 AM

Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately our dates are Sept. 13-16 (high season) so I guess we're out of luck. Will try again at another time.

janis Mar 14th, 2003 08:23 AM

You should be OK in mid september. High season is really mid-July to the beginning of Sept. Go on the 15th and 16th (Mon and Tues). There is no play on the Old course on Sunday and saturday is the busiest day.<BR><BR>Call the Old course on Saturday morning before you head to Scotland to get in the Lottery for Monday play. If you are not chosen - then just show up on Monday and ask the starter what chance you have of getting on with a booked twosome. If he says &quot;no chance&quot; then go play Crail or some other course or sightsee.<BR><BR>Again on Tuesday - if you don't make the lottery, try the starter. You will have a probably 75% chance of getting on one of those days. If not you can at least see the course (If you go up on Sunday you can walk the entire course since it is closed to play and becomes a vast city park with lots of walkers, dogs, etc.