Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Golf course in Scotland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/golf-course-in-scotland-305139/)

joebear Feb 15th, 2008 06:29 AM

Golf course in Scotland

My son would like to play golf in Scotland. He is interested in playing on some of the less famous courses but nice ones. Please send any suggestions or tips. Since we are coming from US probably will need club rental.

FlaAnn Feb 15th, 2008 06:51 AM

Where will you be traveling?

sheila Feb 15th, 2008 06:58 AM

This is an immensely difficult question. There are dozens and hundreds.

Have a look at Royal Dornoch, Newmachar, Cruden Bay, St Andrews Bay, Machrihanish, Hagg's Castle...

ach, there's too many to mention

wellididntknowthat Feb 15th, 2008 07:11 AM

Try www.scottishgolfcourses.com. A complete list of scottish course plus contact, location, price and a decscription of each course.

meks Feb 15th, 2008 07:35 AM

If you at anytime intend staying in the Edinburgh area then you may wish to look at ww.uk-golf.com/scotland/midlothian~edinburgh There are also some 19 golf courses just outside Edinburgh in East Lothian
www.golfeastlothian.com
Most of these are only some 30 - 45 minutes from Edinburgh

janisj Feb 15th, 2008 08:56 AM

Welcoem to Fodors, joebear.

Reading your other threads - you really will be limited to courses in/around/near Edinburgh. 2 days in London and 4 in Edinburgh w/o a car will limit your choices.

For outside of Edinburgh, he could take a train to Leuchars and then a bus or taxi to St Andrews. There are several other courses in St Andrews besides the Old Course. So he can easily play there on one of the other courses and at least see the Old Course.

But there are some golf courses right in Edinburgh.

BTW - looking at your itinerary in full - I really would consider taking one day from Edinburgh and adding it to London. Edinburgh is wonderful, but it is also small and easily explored by the rest of the family while your son plays golf.

On the other hand, London id HUGE and since this is your first visit you need more than 2 days to just get your bearings. Your arrival day may be hard on some family members due to jetlag. So you are really only planning one full day in London at the beginning and one at the end of your trip.

joebear Feb 15th, 2008 08:59 AM

Thank you. We are planning to go in later part of May, fly into Edinburg. Still working on the rest of the plans, am a bit clueless so any tips are helpful.

janisj Feb 15th, 2008 09:18 AM

I do notice on all of your threads you use &quot;Edinburg&quot; -- it is <u>Edinburgh</u> . . . .

joebear Feb 21st, 2008 10:19 AM

Okay...got the spelling corrected.

alanRow Feb 21st, 2008 11:06 AM

www.capitalcitygolf.co.uk

joebear Feb 22nd, 2008 05:27 PM

Thank you....just what I was hoping to figure out...very helpful. I appreciate it!

joebear Feb 26th, 2008 07:16 PM

I got the 2008 Fodors Scotland and was reading the where to play section. Is that your quote Janis on the opening page? Very nice, I look forward to seeing some of the courses when we get there in May.