Moderate Restaurants and Pubs in Bloomsbury

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would appreciate suggestions on moderate (20 Pounds and below)restaurants and pubs around these areas. Not picky and like a wide range of food, especially Italian, Indian, and Asian food.

Not expecting anything fancy at those prices, but was hoping for good value and/or fun places to eat.

Here's a few I've found so far: Castelleto, Cosmoba, Fryer's Delight, Konaki, North Sea Fish, Treats, Wagamama, and Wooley's.

Pubs: Cittie of York, Museum Tavern, and Queen Charlotte.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 04:33 PM

Hi there, We especially liked the North Sea in BB--quite cozy and seemed to be predominately locals.

Not in Bloomsbury, but fun and not too far away, is the Sherlock Holmes Puhad dinner upstairs, good sticky toffee pudding) in the vicinity of Charing Cross--also near Gordon's Wine Bar, that Ben Haines often recommends. Have fun.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 04:50 PM

The only one you mentioned that I've been to is Wagamama. Had lunch there and it was around $8 as I recall. Big bowls of a variety of noodles, vegies, meats and excellent (at least what I had). You sit at large tables with others so it's definitely not intimate but for the price and good taste definitely worth it.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 07:18 PM
ron

The Konaki is good. I would return. The Museum Tavern served the worst pub lunch I have ever had in the UK. I would return to drink but not to eat.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 12:07 AM

Good area - even the British Museum has some attractive eats. For Indian, I loved Vegetarians Paradise about 2 blocks north of Russel Sq tube station - esp lunch buffet.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 05:56 AM

We stayed in Bloomsbury last year and found a lot of nice places. We'd wander around after dark and hit all the different pubs. There was a pretty decent Thai restaurant near the Museum Tavern. We had our Thanksgiving dinner at an Indian restaurant. We ate nice fish and chips at a little shop. I can't tell you where anything is because we'd just walk around, look at menus and see what we liked. I doubt if any of these local places have ever been written up in guidebooks. We didn't spend much, ate nice food, saw a lot of the area and got good exercise.

Since there are a lot of theaters near there, look for some of the pre-show specials at restaurants. Beware, pubs will get crowded when the shows let out. However, there's lots of pubs to go to!
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Degas

The Lamb is a great pub in the heart of Bloomsbury. 94 Lamb's Conduit Street, WC1. 020 7405 0713

Attractive place with a friendly crowd.

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 09:14 AM

At lunchtime on weekdays I like
the range of restaurants (including Degas good choice)along Lambs Conduit Street, 400 yards east of Russell Square (a few are open on Sundays too, and most on Saturdays)
the self-service restaurant at MacMillans, ground floor, Senate House, south west side of Russell Square,
and the meals in the student refectory in the basement of the School of Oriental and African Studies, at the west corner of Russell Square. These draw upon traditions from across the world, as befits the global clientele, and the cooks know how to use spices without excess.
From 1 October the same college offers lunches with waiter service, and wine, which are good, though perhaps more conservative. That restaurant, too, is in the basement.
lunch in the upper central refectory in the main building of University College London, on Gower Street.
Not such quality, but cheaper, and open both lunch and evening to 7.30, the Senior Common Room, fifth floor, Birkbeck College, Malet Street, nearest tube Goodge Street.

For Indian meals the Bengali restaurants on Drummond Street, just west of Euston main line station.

[email protected]
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Degas

ttt

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 03:59 PM

We had dinner at La Bardigiana, 77 Marchmont St., last fall. Very good food at modest prices and a friendly place.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great inputs. Anybody else have some place to add?