Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Golden Pass Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/golden-pass-question-683046/)

jenblase Feb 26th, 2007 06:40 AM

Golden Pass Question

I am really embarassed for even asking this, but can someone look at this picture and tell me which car would be the front car and which the back?

http://www.goldenpass.ch/GPS/produits/gpp2_VIP.asp

Thanks! (and how do you do a sheepish grin emoticon on this?)

~Jennifer

lawchick Feb 26th, 2007 06:45 AM

(Hint) ahem - where are you going?

jenblase Feb 26th, 2007 07:07 AM

Interlaken to Montreux.

jenblase Feb 26th, 2007 08:48 AM

ttt

enzian Feb 26th, 2007 09:07 AM

Assuming the cars are oriented as indicated by the train and direction signs at the top, the front of the train is the left end of each car---in other words, the VIP seats are 81 through 88 in car 11. I think what is confusing you is that there are also VIP seats in car 10, at the back of the train as shown in this diagram. Note that the diagram shows from Zweisimmen to Montreux, not Interlaken to Montreux. It makes me think that the train reverses direction at Zweisimmen---in other words, the back becomes the front. (This occurs at stations where the train does not go through, but rather pulls in and then reverses and takes a different track out). If that is the case, you will be riding backwards for part of the journey.

Maybe someone who has ridden this train can clarify.

Dukey Feb 26th, 2007 09:11 AM

I believe that Car #10 is the rear car.

Christina Feb 26th, 2007 09:11 AM

Jen, if you mean the picture at the top, it shows the direction the train is going. Montreux is at the left, so if you are going TO Montreux that would be the front car.

I don't know exactly how those car layouts relate to that, that's the confusing part to me, but I didn't spend much time looking at it.

jenblase Feb 26th, 2007 09:13 AM

Ok, because I got my reservation this morning, and it says we're in Car 11, seats 85 and 87. Going from Interlaken to Montreux. So we should be in the front car then, right?

enzian Feb 26th, 2007 09:16 AM

Jenblase---see my post above. It is possible that the train reverses direction at Zweisimmen. See if you can find the diagram for Interlaken to Zweisimmen.

Dukey Feb 26th, 2007 09:16 AM

If the train is actually made up like the diagram (with the locomotoive in the center) then both front and rear cars would probably look the same.

However, the diagram of the cars, notice that Car #10 looks slightly different (outside configuration) than does Car #11.

It used to be that one of the VIP seating areas was located in the car where the driver also operated but that may have changed.

The rearward view can actually be just as exciting as the one looking forward over the roadbed.

Dukey Feb 26th, 2007 09:18 AM

here's an alternative: when you get to Zweisimmen you may have time to ask at the ticket window (at the head of the platform) about where you are seated.

They can change the seats if there are vacancies.

enzian Feb 26th, 2007 09:20 AM

Actually, it looks like you may change trains at Zweisimmen.

jenblase Feb 26th, 2007 09:21 AM

Actually Enzian the Interlaken to Zweisemenn portion doesn't have the VIP seats, so I'm not really sure WHERE we'll be sitting on that part of the ride - but we'll figure it out when we get on in Interlaken. The important thing is that it looks as though I got the first row of seats in the VIP section for the Zweis-Montreux portion, which is what I was hoping for.

Thanks for all of your help - I'm so excited for this journey!

kopp Feb 26th, 2007 09:37 AM

Hi jenblase,

Just as a little helpful hint when you're standing on the platforms waiting for your train: there is usually a little chart diagram of the trains on each track platform. Find your car number or class category. The chart will indicate which letter (usually hanging from a rafter) to stand near (like A, B, C) on your track.

This really helps on the long trains and also when you don't have much of a connection time.

Auf weidersehen! :)