gold jewelery

Sep 27th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

gold jewelery

Hi all - will be leaving on Sat for my first trip to Istanbul loaded with all the helpful tips on restaurants, wine etc that you have so kindly provided. My daughter and I will be taking the Old City - Istanbul Eats tour on Monday - will report back to all that are interested.
I was wondering if any one (especially Otherchelebi) might have some suggestions on appropriate stores to look for gold jewelery> I have been convinced to try to bring back a man's necklace for a friend of my husbands. I myself prefer silver so I am not as familiar with purchasing gold.
Any advice on where to go, what to look for or even what to definitely avoid would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all - looking forward to take off on Saturday.
Sep 27th, 2012, 04:05 PM

I wasn't looking for gold but I found the merchants in the Spice market easier to deal with than those in the Grand Bazaar. The Spice Market folks were not so much "in your face" and pressuring you to buy.
Sep 27th, 2012, 04:06 PM

I would bring some sort of lighted magnifier so you can see the markings on the jewelry and not depend on what quality the merchant tells you it is.
Sep 27th, 2012, 05:09 PM

Assuming you are from the US the gold jewelry here is either 14 K or 18 k. What you need to look for in other parts of the world is jewelry that is "12K" or even "10K" - which are not considered "gold" here - too much of other materials in them.

You also need to look at the weight of the necklace - you will want a substantial weight for a man (not a bicycle chain like you see on some rappers) - but not delicate. I would get very specific requirements before buying anything - including how long it must be and how much they want it to weigh - since both factors would strongly affect the price. I would also ask them to give you photos of what they are looking for - since it's so easy to go wrong when someone has a particular thing in mind. With that - they can tell you what it would cost in the US - so you know if it makes sense to buy it there.

(I've bought several pieces of jewelry in italy - but for myself. And although the prices (then) were better than in the US - but not by a huge amount - the design or quality made them worth the cost.)
Sep 28th, 2012, 06:55 AM

Chains in Istanbul are usually 14 or 18 K.

there are some wholesale shops which will also sell retail in a small courtyard outside the Grand Bazaar. Walk down to your right after you pass through the Nuru Osmaniye mosque, before you enter the Grand Bazaar. The courtyard will be on your right, after the mosque. If you walk across the courtyard, past the middle section, there is a largish store where we have bought chains before. I think they usually had 14K ones, because the higher the carats the weaker the chain. So, an 18K chain needs to be thicker and thus more expensive.

Gold prices change by the minute and are posted on the internet every 15 minutes at various sites. This is true for 14K, 18K and 22K as well as bullion.

Since simple chains do not need much workmanship, the price you pay should not have more than a 30-40% mark-up over the internet price which would be for unworked bulk gold.

I usually check the foreign exchange and gold prices on www.doviz.com but it may not have an English language site.

If you wish some designer jewellery, try Arkaik at Nisantasi.
The owners, Birol and Semra are both artists.

If interested in old but in very good shape silver for very reasonable prices, try the small shop on your right as you enter the same courtyard as the one I suggested for the gold chains. (The owner's name was Sait. His daughter is managing the shop now.)

The same courtyard also has a pearl wholesalers.

I strongly recommend not to buy anything except spice, nuts and lanterns at the Spice Bazaar. Even their foreign exchange rates are atrocious.

I may be repeating myself, but I also own a tiny jeweller's digital scale with me when we go shopping for jewellery, to check the weight of the item and as nytraveler said, a magnifyer is necessary to read the carat stamp.
Sep 28th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the help. Will let you know if I am successful upon our return. Leaving tomorrow at 6pm. Must get packing