Notices

Going to Sweden - have just the place!

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to Sweden - have just the place!

Had recently returned from 2 weeks in Sweden - it was fabulous, and just have to let all know about a great spot a couple of hours from Stockholm. We stayed in a house on a farm which was so comfortable, but the best part were the incredibly hospitable owners - warm, friendly, considerate and generous. Web site is http://www.bopalantgard.org/gb/framevaragardar_gb.htm and the cottage is called Järkvissle. With their assistance we went snow mobiling, on a "one horse sleigh, ice fishing etc. Also in Stockholm, we stayed at Langholmen Hotel which is both a hostel and hotel. It used to be a prison, and you have the use of kitchen etc even if staying is a private room with ensuite. Also had one night on a yacht which is now a Hostel - great fun. Have more info if anyone interested.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 08:44 PM

Yes. Tell me more about the farm house.
We have been looking at the "prison" hotel, primarily because of its location. did you really enjoy it>
You may e-mail me == [email protected]>com

joan

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Hello, I am going to Sweden March 28-April 10 for a week with a friend and for a week on my own. I used to live in Sweden, but was in Orebro and only made it to Stockholm on about a dozen occasions for shopping. I would like to do something different this time, but can't afford to spend a lot of money. It sounds like you stayed in some great places there, what do you recommend? Langholmen? How did you get to the farm? How much did these places cost?
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 05:46 AM

OK,call me the suspicious type, but I can't help wondering why someone who has never ever posted here before -- never asked a question or made a comment before, would suddenly out of the clear blue sky, come here and register for the sole purpose of telliing us about a place she stayed. Why is it so important for her to tell a total bunch of strangers she's never conversed with before about this one place. Was there nothing else in her two week trip worth talking about, no restaurants worth mentioning, no attractions or transportation issues she can give advice on?

Maybe not, but sure has all the ear marks of advertising to me.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 06:19 AM

On a forum where lots of advice is passed along regarding where to stay, eat, and travel it seems OK to me. Don't quite see why this is objectionable even if is someone promoting something. Don't you suppose Fodors and Rick Steves and all push their favorites?

Been to Stockholm in a trip along with several other Nordic countries and would have enjoyed such a rural setting where Olivia stayed. This sounds like the farm house B&Bs we very much enjoyed in a trip through Britain.
Bill in Missouri
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 06:26 AM
ira

Hi Bill,

The difference is that we know that Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, etc are in the travel business and might receive payment for their recommendations.

This board relies on honest statements from people who are not associated with the places that they recommend.

That is why lone postings that extol a property are suspect.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 08:57 AM

Thanks ira, and yes, Ozarksbill, I think you miss the point. A lot of us will talk about places we love as well as those we were disappointed in. Nothing wrong with that. And anyone who reads a paid description of a hotel knows (or should know) to read between the lines. But when someone raves about a hotel as if she just happened to stumble upon it and we suspect that there is some connection or underlying motive, that is far different. My point is that it seems there is a personal (whether paid or not) reason this brand new poster came here to tell us about a hotel. We have no reason to believe it is a totally unsolicited or unbiased view.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 06:51 AM

Right, so can we have a response from the one who originally posted the recommendation? Will you come clean and admit you are part-owner?
Bill