Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Going to Seville and Ronda? Here are 2 good tips... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/going-to-seville-and-ronda-here-are-2-good-tips-379221/)

orionve Nov 28th, 2003 02:45 AM

Going to Seville and Ronda? Here are 2 good tips...

Just came back from Andalucia in a fantastic
2 weeks trip, and here are 2 simple but helpful tips:
1. In Seville, although is a walking place to visit, you can buy in your hotel a 1 or 3 days tourist bus ticket for unlimited travel arround the city. This is specially helpful if your hotel is a little off the center of the action. Ours ( Regina) was a 15 to 20 min walking time from the cathedral and we certanly enjoyed the nice bus ride along the river and is cheap ( 3 euros for 1 day and 7 for the 3 days tickets).
2.- In Ronda we liked so much, that stayed 2 nights to explore the sourrinding white towns and the town itself. If you are in good walking spirits, go down the gorge along the river (there are walking paths) for stunning views of the clifts and waterfalls. Don't just "look down". The views looking up are just as impressive and you will walk along olive trees... The difference in altitude is arround 600-700 feets.

kaudrey Nov 28th, 2003 04:42 AM

Thanks orionve!

Glad you had a great trip. I am planning a trip for Spain in early February, and I am stopping in both Sevilla and Ronda. I will be spending 2 nights in each town to explore.

If you post a more detailed trip report, I'm sure people would love to hear more details about your trip!

Karen

orionve Nov 28th, 2003 06:26 AM

Kaudrey:
I will add that Seville is worth at least 3 nights. Lot to do and see walking the city center and Santa Cruz next to it, with small, lovely streets.
There are historic sites not to be missed ( Cathedral, Girona tower, Royal Alcazar, etc.) I am sure that any good travel book will give you details. We used Michelin.
I don't know what your interests are while you travel, but we like nature as well as visiting a city. So, we loved Ronda and its vecinity: Several small white towns in the mountains and valleys to visit and wonderful views. I wished we had more than 2 nights to stay in the area. To rent a car is a must if you plan to visit the towns.
Just to give you a detail, in Zahara de la Sierra a white town in front of a lake, we went to a olive oil mill where you see how the oil is extracted directly from the olives as they are pressed. The smell of the oil as it came down to the deposit, I will not forget it!!
Any specific question, please ask...

kaudrey Nov 28th, 2003 07:19 AM

Orionve - thanks for the info!

My plan right now is to be in Sevilla for 3 nights, then Ronda for 2 nights - visiting Ronda and several of the other white towns as day trips, then going to Granada.

Zahara is on my list, so I'll definitely add the olive oil mill - that sounds great!

I am definitely a nature lover and can't wait to see the views from these towns!

Where did you stay in Sevilla and Ronda, and would you recommend the hotels?

Thanks,
Karen

stevelyon Nov 30th, 2003 06:58 AM

I am hoping to stay in Andalucia over the festive period (December 28th - January 4th), so it has been useful reading the above posts. Cordoba has not received much of a mention, is this because it is not nearly as interesting as Granada or Seville or Ronda?

orionve Nov 30th, 2003 01:29 PM

Karen: In Seville I stayed at the Regina Hotel. It is about 15-20 min walk to the center of the city, but we liked the location ( quiet neiborhood) and the hotel is quite nice. Got the room for 50 euros/night and it is a 3 star hotel, clean and the staff very helpful. I would recommended it and would go there again. As I mentioned before, we bought a bus ticket for unlimited rides so came and go very easy.
In Ronda stayed at the Reina Victoria, a 4 star hotel ( 50 euros/night!). Excellent hotel from 1903 with a balcony in my room with the most beautiful view. I would recommended without hesitation: Clean, quiet, wonderful staff.
Another tip: If you like leather goods, go to Ubrique, a white town in the area and you'll find lots of factories stores
( Just came back, and my wife wants to go again for some more handbags...)

Steve: In Cordoba we stayed 1 night, and quite enjoyed it. The most interesting place to visit is the Mezquita. Extremely interesting and worth the trip to see it...
There is also an old jewish quarter also to be seen and walk the narrow streets. In my opinion, 1 night is OK.

KBJ Dec 2nd, 2003 03:32 PM

Did you book these hotels online? Could you send the address for the Reina Victoria? It sounds wonderful...

orionve Dec 3rd, 2003 09:53 AM

KBJ: I booked it through Bancotel.com
I don't know if you have used the Bancotel vouchers before, but it worked fine for us. You may explore their website and book the hotel in your travel dates...
Enjoy!