Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Sacred Sites in Glastonbury & Cornwall--Advice/Ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 08:29 AM
Jennifer

<BR>We're going to Glastonbury (Avalon, Stonehenge,etc) and Cornwall, and would like feedback from those who have been there--any sacred sites that are off the beaten track that you really liked, or hotels or bed/breakfasts that are inexpensive but really good. Good restaurants? Travel tips? We're trying not to do the "touristy" thing, though I'm sure we'll end up visiting Stonehenge, but looking for other unusual sites and things to do in the area. Thank you! <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 11:33 AM
Lanny

Lucky you. I have long been enchanted with these places of Arthurian legend, so much so that as a dog breeder (whippets, of course!), I adopted the kennel name Glastonbury and my son adopted as his kennel name Avalonia. Glastonbury is a mystical, but only when you get off the main drag and away from the New Age shops full of crystals etc. etc. You must spend hours inside the grounds of Glastonbury Abbey, stand on the stone in the ground marking where Arthur and Guinevere are reputed to have been buried at the transcept of the altar of Glastonbury Abbey before it was ordered destroyed by Henry VIII, see and touch the tree planted from what legends says is a piece of branch from the crown of thorns, sent to Glastonbury by Joseph of Arimethea, and soak in the atmosphere of times past. Climb to the top of Glastonbury Tor and survey the countryside to get a better feel of the whole area which is the stuff of 2,000 year old legends. While in the Glastonbury area visit Wells just up the road about 10 miles and enjoy its magnificent cathedral, not Arthurian, but spendid nevertheless. And of course in Cornwall you must, of all places, go to Tintagel and visit the ruins of the castle where Arthur may have called home and see the caves at cliff's edge where Merlin is said to have practiced some of his magic. Within the shops in Glastonbury are several very good tour books for those who steep themselves in the legends of Arthur. These books will provide all the guide you need to take excursions to captivate your fancy and liberate and free your spirit while you are in the West country of Somerset and Cornwall. Enjoy, enjoy! <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 12:12 PM
Colleen

I will echo everything Lanny said, and will add that you should try to find South Cadbury, the site of Camelot, or at the least, of an Iron Age hillfort. We followed road signs, parked at the bottom of a hill, walked through the forest to the top of the hill, and were the only people there. (It isn't a common tourist site.) The rings (tiers, similar to the Tor) are still visible,especially around the edge of the hill. Before you go might want to read up on archeological digs in the 60s that turned up items from that era. I had chills thinking that I'd "found" Camelot! In Glastonbury we visited the Mitre pub for a cozy supper (around the corner? from the square), and the George (I think) on the High Street for a pint next to the fireplace. Do wander around the Abbey ruins - you can picnic there. And don't miss Chalice Well, purportedly the place where the grail was hidden, and the water then ran red. Enjoy! Give my regards to Wart.

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 03:25 PM
Mike Miller

Right outside Glastonbury in the village of Street is Clarks Village which is one of the few Outlet Malls in England. If you want a good deal on Clark's shoes, this is where you will find them. There are about 50-60 shops there. Tintagel has a quality that I cannot quite describe. It is the legendary birthplace of Arthur. For a real view of the town, go up to the old Church on the hill which overlooks the coast. You can even take a footpath from there to the castle. An out of the way castle in Cornwall is Restormel Castle in Lostwithiel (what a lovely name!). If you can stay in Restormel Farm B&B right at the castle entrance. Penzance, St. Michael's Mount and the close by village of Mousehole (prounounced Mouzel) are both beautiful and not to be missed. If you have a rain day as we did, spend it at the nearby Flambards Amusement park with a wonderful all indoors Victorian village and a London Blitz display that makes you feel like you were in it. Another delightful town to visit is Fowey which has a small castle at the port entrance which was built by Henry VIII. If I visited Cornwall again, I probably would skip Land's End and instead go straight to the Lizard Peninsula. Enjoy!