Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Rome in one week. Need help with what to pack

Jan 12th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Shelly

I am going to Rome very soon and I am stressing about what kind of clothes to pack. I know I have to bring some kind of comfortable shoes, but I don't want to look like the typical tourist with jeans and tennis shoes. (which I don't really ware that often anyway) I would love some suggestions. Thanks

Jan 12th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Ang

When in doubt wear black!

Jan 12th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Ed

Why not wear what you might wear on the weekend when you go "downtown" or visit the nearest big city?

More specific suggestions at www.twenj.com/tipsclothes.htm ... though the basic rule doesn't require a lot of research: wear what you're comfortable in, given the weather and the setting.

Ed

Jan 12th, 2001, 09:27 PM
travelman

Dear Shelly.Comfy shoes,pants,sweater,leather jacket(black),scarf,gloves in your small Prada backpack.Have a good time.

Jan 12th, 2001, 10:10 PM
Sara

Well the Italians dress very well. The women wear really good quality clothing and so if you really don't want to stick out as a tourist (although your money belt and camera will give you away, anyway) it may cost you comfort by wearing high heels rather than sneakers. But try some nice flowing sun dresses or skirts and leather sandles.

Jan 12th, 2001, 10:28 PM
Holly

Sara: What kind of money belt is it that you wear, that would give you away as a tourist? Do you really recommend sun dresses and sandals for this time of year?

Jan 13th, 2001, 03:19 AM
Maira

Bring two pairs of black dockers (pants), a pair in navy blue, a khaki pair, and dressy black slacks. Bring three jackets; black, taupe, and black/stripes. Bring scarfs; black, and two to match three sweaters (preferably soft wool; pack better), and two turtlenecks (black and beige). As far as shoes, I don't leave home without my Easy Spirits ankle black boots. Pack an unmbrella and a light raincoat. Mix and match; you are all set for two weeks.

Jan 13th, 2001, 11:11 AM
gluck

Hi Shelly.

We were in Rome in late March and April of 2000. I wouldn't worry about looking like a tourist - every other Italian seemed to be wearing sneakers and NYC baseball caps.

You stress you're going very soon...bring layers! The weather is very changeable.

Jan 14th, 2001, 04:12 AM
gloria

Hi, Shelley,
The Italians dress beautifully. It is a pleasure to just watch these attractive people and smart dress. You have rec'd good advice thus far, wear black, black jeans or slacks, a black suede or leather jacket with a turtleneck in a subdued tone. You won't see prints or many bright colors except in accents.
Wear leather shoes and skip the tennies. I think a pair of khaki's may be good. For a three week vacation (and we send clothes out to be cleaned, and it doesn't cost that much), I take A light Suede black jacket, 2 pairs of black jeans, 1 pair of black slacks, a pair of khakis. I'll take another wool blazer, jacket along, (a very subdued pattern, if any) 2 turtlenecks, cotton or wool, and a slim, black skirt. I will add a couple of cotton shirts, and t-shirts. Layer so you can remove or add as needed. Buy your scarves there and wear them, take some fun jewelry along to dress things up, nothing of great value, however, The key is to be comfortable, blend in, and enjoy!