Going to Rome in mid-January

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:08 AM
Melissa

Going to Rome in mid-January

Hello! My husband and I are travelling to Rome Jan 14-21. We have been before, but in July. <BR><BR>From what I can tell from my research, it looks as if most of the main attractions such as the Vatican, etc, will be open during that time, but do many places close up in winter as I have read? I have not seen any specifics, but I read a general comment that much of Rome does shut down for a time in those winter months.<BR><BR>Can anyone give me any input? I know that we'll have plenty to do and see, but our friends have not been before so I worry they may come home with regrets for travelling at that time.<BR><BR>Thank you in advance!

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:47 AM
xxx

to the top

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 01:09 AM
Steve James

Hello Melissa,<BR><BR>I don't think any of the main sites close for the winter. <BR><BR>Be aware, though, that many remain closed 1 day per week - usually Monday - so plan sightseeing around that.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Melissa

Thank you Steve. I guess I also need to be on the lookout for reduced hours as well. <BR><BR>If anyone knows of specifics, I would appreciate it. <BR><BR>Thanks again!

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Polly

Dear Melissa,<BR><BR>I have been living in Rome for a few years now and can guarantee that all sites are opened. Yes, they will be on winter times but nothing to worry about. If you want to know the exact times look at the website of www.wantedinrome.com. It is a local magazine for expats. If you require any further information please feel free to contact me at the above email address. PS I have had many friends and clients visit Rome and none of them have been disappointed.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Book Chick

Hi Melissa,<BR>I was in Rome last January and will be returning this January. The only thing I can recall being closed is a restaurant where I thought I might get a bite to eat near Piazza Navona, Tre Scalini. Everwhere else I wanted to go, like St. Peter's Basilica, San Giovanni Laterno, the Borghese Gallery, etc. was open. I hope you guys enjoy Rome in the off-season as much as I did! Few tourists, and much better weather than my hometown has in that month!<BR><BR>Buon Viaggio, <BR>BC

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 12:13 PM
jan

Speaking of weather, what is the average temperature in January?

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Melissa

Thank you all for the reassurance. Does the Borghese Gallery require reservations? I seem to recall that some part of the complex did require, but we did not have time to inquire on our last trip.<BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Polly

Yes, you will need to make a reservation for the Villa Borghese Museum. Fax them on 0632651329.