Going to prague in feb.

Oct 9th, 2019, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Going to prague in feb.

Hubby and I celebrating big anniversary in Prague. We would love suggestions for seafood and native cuisine restaurants. Also need recommendations for private day trip to Vienna (with driver) and day trip to Terezin camp as well. Thank you for all of your help
Oct 9th, 2019, 04:47 PM

A day trip to Vienna isn't realistic unless you fly between cities, and then it only works if the departure times give you sufficient hours in Vienna. Taking the train or driving would involve 4+ hours each way.
Oct 9th, 2019, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean. But I rather go for a few hours than not at all.
Oct 9th, 2019, 05:21 PM

What do you hope to accomplish in those "few" hours? Vienna is huge. Prague can be conceivably "seen" in a few hours (concentrating only on old town) whereas, Vienna is much larger with way more to see. You may find once you arrive that you see nothing at all.... Add in the fact you are going in February when they days are super short, and cold with potential poor weather... I went to Prague in January and was miserable. Vienna at least has some inside sights - bit you have NO time for those.

How long is your trip in total? How many days "on the ground?" Have you already purchased plane tickets?

As to your initial question: seafood? In Prague? You do realize that the city is several hundred miles from an ocean and probably not the best spot for "fresh" seafood. Fresh water fish....maybe... but... still not a place I would want to eat fish.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Oct 9th, 2019 at 05:27 PM.
Oct 9th, 2019, 07:45 PM

I found a couple of private tours by car. 13 hours, door to door. Cost ranges from US$700 to US$1400 for 2 people.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Prague/...e/d462-8740P29

https://www.getyourguide.com/prague-...king-assistant
Oct 9th, 2019, 10:19 PM

At least 8 hours on the road for only 5 hours in Vienna.

Vienna is not going anywhere and if you can afford a private driver than I guess doing another trip to Vienna in the coming years is not out of your budget.

How many days you have altogether?

If you really want to do a daytrip to Vienna you'd better go by train.

I takes 4 hours(driving takes at least 4 hours, but it's more unpredictable than trains) and it's much more comfortable than a car. You have more legroom, a smoother ride, restrooms on board, dining car and all this for a fraction of the price of a private driver.

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-ro...a-by-train.htm

If you start at 6:50 and take the 19:10 back(arriving at Prague around 11pm) you'll have about 8 hours in Vienna.

Better still skip the daytrip to Terezin, Vienna is far more interesting. Than you could take a train to Vienna in the evening, spend a night in Vienna and you can have a full day there before taking the last train(as above 19:10) back to Prague.

Last edited by BDKR; Oct 9th, 2019 at 10:22 PM.
Oct 10th, 2019, 02:49 AM

Jean, we lived in Vienna for 7 years before moving to the U.S. this June, so it is within this context I will share my thoughts.

Vienna is a terrible idea as a day trip from Prague. Especially by car. Especially in the most miserable Central European winter month. Though the A5 is now widened on the Austrian side, it has not been on the Czech side, so traffic slows as motorists have to share lanes with trucks. Road work continues in CZ (following 29 years of Communist "maintenance") so slowdowns need to be factored, and who knows what the weather might be on a given February day? Any time we planned a visit to Prague it was for an overnight at minimum, even when we traveled by train.

As for restaurants in Prague I can suggest "Deer." Highly creative Czech-inspired food and worthy of a special occasion dinner (I celebrated a milestone birthday with dinner there). Blue Fjord would be my suggestion for fish; their Sea Bream is sourced from Croatia and arrives within 24 hours of being caught. "Seafood" is likely to have been frozen and flown in from elsewhere. Though landlocked like Austria, CZ's lakes and rivers offer up locally sourced Zander (similar to perch) and Forelle (similar to trout). Both are quite good, though Zander was always my preference.

Last edited by fourfortravel; Oct 10th, 2019 at 03:07 AM.
Oct 10th, 2019, 03:20 AM

If visiting Vienna and eating seafood are priorities, why on earth are you going to Prague? You've picked the wrong place to visit, at the wrong time of year.
Oct 10th, 2019, 10:21 AM

I agree that if you really want to do a day trip, you should go by train, not by car. It is about 4 hrs each way. You get a lot more than a "few" hours in Vienna if you don't mind coming back at night, and I don't know why not, I travel by train at night, the train trip back isn't taxing, you just relax and read or whatever. So you could have at least 6 hrs there, which is about what I spend sightseeing anyway in a city. i don't agree that that isn't enough time sightseeing. I wouldn't do it, but it's your time. I have spent up to 3 hrs each way in transit for aday trip, I think, for a place I really wanted to see. It's just being winter and all and February, I could see it more in the summer months doing this.

Seafood wont' be locally caught, but I guess that's not too different from going to a seafood restaurant in Paris, after all. If that's what you like. I'm actually not a fan of native cuisine, but I just go to cheap joints in Prague.

for you,
Go to Alcron, it has a Michelin star and has some seafood dishes

Bellevue is one of the best restaurants in town and also has a couple seafood main courses
https://www.bellevuerestaurant.cz/en/

for special surroundings, I'd recommend the Municipal House which has a regular restaurant as well as a casual place. Their regular Czech cuisine restaurant is ground floor.
I highly recommend the Cafe Imperial for ambience and cuisine. Now they have some fish dishes but also several Czech cuisine items (rabbit, deer, schnitzel, the usual), if you want that. Eating there is a real experience, I love it. They used to have jazz some nights but I don't see that any more.
https://www.cafeimperial.cz/en/homepage/
Oct 10th, 2019, 04:09 PM
J62

Prague to Vienna is about the same distance as NYC to Washington DC - not a day trip many of us would recommend.
A day trip to Dresden is a much better idea from Prague. 2hrs or less each way, with departures ever 1 or 2 hrs all day long.
Oct 11th, 2019, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks CHRISTINA! Appreciate your kind and detailed response. All noted.