Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Going to Prague! But where next? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/going-to-prague-but-where-next-676518/)

fsumegan Feb 4th, 2007 05:07 AM

Going to Prague! But where next?

I am planning a trip to Prague in early March. We have seven nights for this short trip...we were thinking about spending 4 nights in Prague, but then were unsure where to go to next? We were quite set on Budapest...does anyone have any other suggestions?? Any thoughts on Berlin or small towns in the Czech Republic?

I was hoping someone could help me get a rough idea of train prices...obviously raileurope.com is overpriced, but I was just hoping to get a rough estimate of the price and the trip itself. Would it be worth it to travel that far on a short trip?

Any help would be appreciated!

nbujic Feb 4th, 2007 06:18 AM

if not Budapest , Vienna!
It is not very far and it is wonderful.

L84SKY Feb 4th, 2007 06:30 AM

Why not Budapest? It's a wonderful city.

Kristina Feb 4th, 2007 06:53 AM

Hi-
I'm also going in March-4 nights Budapest, 2 in Vienna, 4 in Prague. I found it very difficult to get a gauge of train prices. Try clicking on my name and looking for a thread I started about train travel between those cities. You might find it helpful.

Also, are you flying in and out of Prague? If so, then you may not want to go as far a Budapest (I think about 7-8 hours by train) if you then have to return to Prague. If it were me, I'd spend the entire 7 nights in the CR.

fsumegan Feb 4th, 2007 09:39 AM

Maybe Budapest is a bit ambitious, as we would be flying into and out of Prague...a few people have mentioned Vienna?? Does anyone have any experience with smaller towns in CZ vs. Vienna?? I would love to hear your opinions!!

nbujic Feb 4th, 2007 11:22 AM

a friend of mine realy liked Carlovy Vari but it is a resort and early March may not be a good time.
other people had good things to say about Bratislava ( now in Slovakia)
but I have no first hand knowledge.

crazychick Feb 4th, 2007 03:22 PM

The Czech republic is a wonderful place and has some beautiful contryside. A frend married a czech and they are always saying there is so much more to the Czech republic than Prague. They have shown me some stunning photos in both winter and summer. Not sure how much you could fit in to the 3 days after Prague. I have stayed in Brno, on there recommendation. I was going to Prague, Vienna and Budapest, when they said break your trip from Pargue to vienna and fit in a few days in Brno.. It is an easy train ride from Prague It took about 3 hrs 30 mins and the ticket cost 294,- Kc last June.

Brno was a lovely place and seems to be some sort of hub for trains. It has a big college, some business centers and on the outsirts a big motocycle track. I loved this place there were enough tourists around to know you could get anything you wanted, but it was small enough to still feel unspolited. A main shopping street but with little squares off it that had food markets when we were there.
You could do a few trips to smaller towns from there. Also Bratislava in Slovakia is only about 1 hour train ride from Brno. Brno is the 2nd biggest city and as with most countries as your not in the capitol prices were slightly cheaper. This might help, the first one is for Brno, there is plenty in and around Brno to go and see, you may not have time to fit in day trips further out.
http://www.brno.cz/index.php?lan=en&...amp;nav02=2038

This one is for the Czech republic.
http://www.czechtourism.com/index.ph...002&lang=3

firedrago Feb 4th, 2007 05:19 PM

well, since you have 7 nights..may b:
3N at Prague, 1N at Cesky Krumlov, 3N at Vienna..take the train. Actually Budapest is pretty near to Vienna, so up to you what you want. Krumlov is a luvly cezh town,we liked it during the last trip

Christina Feb 4th, 2007 05:32 PM

If you have a trip planned for early March, you probably have your airline tickets bought already, don't you? Where do you need to depart from as that makes a big big difference as to possible itineraries. If that isn't an issue, you must have some plans of where you intend to go and how at the end of the trip.

That is a very short time to do any major travel to other countries, but I think Budapest or Vienna are fine options, as well as Germany. In Germany, you could go to Dresden, Leipsiz, then Berlin but that is too much for such a short time. Munich might also be possible, but the train to Dresden is short and simple.

I would think staying in the Czech Republic is a good idea, also. In the south, I've enjoyed Ceske Budejovice as well as Cesky Krumlov and Olomouc.

If you can't get train prices for international trips, I really wouldn't worry about it so much. None of the trains in that area are that expensive that this should be a major issue. Trains within the Czech Republic are pretty cheap wherever you go.

nbujic Feb 4th, 2007 05:48 PM

I don't know how much there is to do in small towns in March ( not very good weather)
I would go to Vienna and see Kinshistorishe Museum, Kilmt's "kiss'.
have some of the best coffee and cakes anywhere , go to the Opera and even visit Freud' house.

fsumegan Feb 5th, 2007 11:21 AM

Thanks for all the advice! I think we have decided to go to Vienna - my friend is visiting and wants to hit another big city...I think I would like the country side but I said I would do whatever...any recommendations for a good, cheap hotel in Vienna??