COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Going to Portugal in August

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Going to Portugal in August

OK..so I know it's high season and hot, but I have no choice.

I thought maybe just last 3 nights in Lisbon, but renting a car from airport and heading to Lisbon Coast(not too far since I'll have jet lag) and basing for no less than 4 nights in 3 different places.

1.Near Sintra or some other place on the Coast for 3 or 4 nights.

2. 4 NIghts near Leira,Tomar or Coimbra

3. At first thought maybe 3 or 4 nights near Evora, but some folks said it was extrememly hot..like almost 100degrees..so I have had second thoughts..although it seems like just the kind of place my family would love. Thoughts?

4. If not there, any suggestions?

Am I making a mistake by not going down to Algrave. We are not real beach goers and much prefer to see museums,castles, ruins, etc and go back to our hotel or inn and hang out at the pool and rest before going out to dinner.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 09:58 AM

I'd look at the towns that have pousadas/estrelagems/B&Bs in places to the west of Lisbon. I really think Marvao is a great little hilltop/castle town as is Obidos and Elvas, Beja, Evora, Villa Vicosa and Estremoz. If your into historical smaller towns you'll enjoy these. Leaving for Lisbon on Tuesday, atte logo..
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:04 AM

bnpast.... Sorry I forgot to add that I personally would avoid the beach crowd down on the Algarve based on what you'd like to see. The northern coast is cooler, but I'd still think that the Alentejo would be do-able in August, but if heat is a real problem look at the towns along the coast north of Lisbon and plan a few days in Hotels with pools and air conditioning. Good luck
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 12:19 PM

We are staying in the Alentejo in a place that has rooms and a couple of apartments.
At least one of the apartments has air conditioning.
It is near Estremoz.
Casa dos Pensamentos. You can find many reviews on line.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for advice.