Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Portugal in a month...have questions!! Help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Amy

I am going to Portugal in February...I have questions! First, I only have 1 week...how many days do I need in Lisbon and how many in Porto? Any other parts of Portugal I should travel to? Second...regarding hotels in Lisbon...Avenida Palace or Metropole? Is it worth it to pay the extra bucks and stay at Avenida? The price difference is 90 Euros a night versus 120 Euros. Any other hotel suggestions for Lisbon? Also...I was looking at the Infante de Sagres Hotel in Porto to stay....any other suggestions for Porto? I am a female travelling alone...FYI

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Surlok

Amy,<BR><BR>I haven't been Portugal yet. I'm going in mid April. Based on other Fodorites recommendations, I booked the Regency Chiado. I'll pay a very reasobla rate, 109 Euros for a single room. I booked through www.placestostay.com.<BR><BR>http://www.regency-hotels-resorts.com/UK/chiado/index1.html<BR><BR>As per Joao, a local, the Chiado is the best neighborhood to be, and the Regency Chiado is a new, four stars hotel. Chaido is close to Bairro Alto, and Baixa. The lowest rate I found for the Avenida Palace was 180 E.<BR><BR>I hope it helps.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Surlok<BR><BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:03 AM
me

3 in lisbon and 3 in the north. Make in porto a cruise in the douro river. Go to Guimaraes, Braga and Ponte de lima. You won´t regret.<BR>In Lisbon area, sintra is a must ( take the train in downtown Lisbon, and exit in the last stop ( aprx. 45 m ).<BR>Avenida Palace is one of "the" hotels in Lisbon. Also in Lisbon, visit the S. Jorge castle ( st george ). Beware of Bairro alto at night if you´re alone.<BR>Bring a coat, it may be fresh.<BR>hope you have fun.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Surlok

Amy,<BR><BR>I haven't been Portugal yet. I'm going in mid April. Based on other Fodorites recommendations, I booked the Regency Chiado. I'll pay a very reasonable rate, 109 Euros for a single room. I booked through www.placestostay.com.<BR><BR>http://www.regency-hotels-resorts.com/UK/chiado/index1.html<BR><BR>As per Joao, a local, the Chiado is the best neighborhood to be, and the Regency Chiado is a new, four stars hotel. Chaido is close to Bairro Alto, and Baixa. The lowest rate I found for the Avenida Palace was 180 E.<BR><BR>I hope it helps.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Surlok<BR><BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Amy

Thanks for the info! I checked the Regency Chiado per fodorites advice...I called them and they said 135 Euros...I want a double room for single occupancy though. When I called the Avenida Palace, they said I could go ahead and book the corporate rate at 120 Euros per night even though I am not with a company. Is the Bairro Alto the only sketchy area? The Avenida Palace and the Metropole are in the Baixa...how is that at night? Because I will definitely be alone and will want to venture out a little bit at night around the area that my hotel is located.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Surlok

Amy,<BR><BR>I copied this from another thread: "Lisbon..good, bad or so-so" here on the Europe Fodors board. Anyway, I'm topping the thread for you<BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR>Message: Maddy,<BR><BR>I haven't yet been to Lisbon, but will, next April. The hotels recommended by Fodorites are the Lisboa Plaza, Britania,<BR>Tivoli, and Tivoli Jardim, besides the Metropole.<BR><BR>I booked a room at the Regency Chiado, also recommended by a Fodorite. The rates for the Britania, lisboa Plaza, and<BR>Regency Chiado are much better if you book through: <BR><BR>http://www.placestostay.com<BR><BR>For the Tivoli and Tivoli Jardim, the lowest rates I found were at:<BR><BR>http://www.srs-worldhotels.com/portugal/lisbon/rooms_listiv.html<BR><BR>However, the Dollars&Sense rates seems no longer available.<BR><BR>Good luck, regards,<BR><BR>S<BR><BR><BR>Author: Joao ([email protected])<BR>Date: 01/03/2002, 07:54 pm<BR><BR>Message: Hi Surlok<BR><BR>You made a good choice with Chiado. No other choice compares to Chiado area currently in Lisbon.<BR><BR>Waiting for you in Lisbon. <BR><BR><BR>Author: Maddy (Maddy ([email protected])<BR>Date: 01/03/2002, 08:09 pm<BR><BR>Message: Surlok thanks very much for the names and booking info.<BR><BR>Author: joao ([email protected])<BR>Date: 01/04/2002, 05:32 am<BR><BR>Message: Kristi<BR><BR>To do both cities in a 9 to 10 days trip, you must fly between them.<BR><BR>Lisbon and Barcelona are 1,200 km apart. Driving at 120 km/hour maximum legal speed it means 10 hours minimum<BR>or most likely 15 or 16 hours with stops.<BR><BR>It's possible to take the train, but it's a full day and not less expensive then flying.<BR><BR>Author: Roger ([email protected])<BR>Date: 01/07/2002, 07:02 pm<BR><BR>Message: Kristi:<BR><BR>You might consider a flight from Barcelona to Lisbon. I purchased a ticket for an April trip for $200 round trip; the<BR>flight lasts about an hour and 15 minutes. You might pay around that taking a train, and that trip would take forever!<BR><BR>Questions for my trip:<BR><BR>Does anyone know how long it takes to drive from Lisbon to Seville? From Lisbon to Porto?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>RJ"<BR><BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Surlok

Amy, I couldn't top the other thread for you.<BR><BR>However, I did a lot of research, because I'll be alone, too, and also want to explore Lisbon night life a bit. The Chiado is higher than is Baixa (baixa= low), and a little southwestern from it. Bairro Alto (Alto=high), where most of the night life in Lisbon is, is a little west from Chiado, which is right between Rossio, the Baixa and Bairro Alto, hence, quite central regarding these districts.<BR><BR>If you're interested in booking the Regency Chiado, do as I said and book through:<BR><BR>http://www.placestostay.com<BR><BR>The rate for a std double, single occupancy is 109 Euros in April, maybe is lower in February, but honestly, I didn't check low season rates through Placestostay.<BR><BR>Good luck, enjoy Lisbon, and keep us posted about your trip.<BR><BR>S

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Susan

Hi, Amy:<BR> We stayed at the Britannia, which I certainly would recommend. Very large rooms, excellent breakfast, an "old world" feeling. It's right off the Avenida.<BR> Would certainly recommend Sintra (the Pena Palace - high point of our visit). Easy to get to by train from Lisbon. Lisbon has an outstanding museum, the Gulbenkian (sp?) which, unfortunately for us, was closed for renovation when we were there. Should be open now.<BR> Also, be sure to visit the Belem area in Lisbon. Lots of museums, etc. including a huge maritime museum, a coach museum, & a monastery. And the old Alfama neighborhood has a decidedly Moorish feel.<BR> We never got to Porto.<BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 02:38 PM
joao

Dear Amy<BR><BR>Metropole, is in the middle of nowhere, except eventually the stock exchange and the central hospital. If you are not sick or in the stock market, it's not the place for you.<BR><BR>Avenida Palace is a lovely, selective place, but the building is over 100 years old. I noticed some fodorites don't take the age of the building as an extra value.<BR><BR>Regency Chiado is a good option (as well as Avenida Palace) as far as location is concerned. Chiado area is more in the hot spot.<BR><BR>Have fun<BR>Joao<BR><BR>PS: Ol&aacute; Surlok.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Surlok

Ol&aacute; Jo&atilde;o! <BR><BR>See you in April! I 'm planning to arrive to Lisbon on the 16th, staying there until the 22nd. Hence, I'll be in Lisbon six days and hope to see you in person, and your wife as well.<BR><BR>Thanks for the great information on Lisbon and Portugal.<BR><BR>Regards from Rio,<BR><BR>Surlok

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Surlok

By the way, Jo&atilde;o, was my description of Lisbon areas, location wise, right? Is Chado between Bairro Alto ( on the West) and Baixa and Rossio ( on the Northeast)?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Surlok

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Joao

<BR>I posted my favourites in Lisbon a few months ago. For the benefit of readers, I am posting them again:<BR><BR>-------------------<BR><BR>Dinner in a Fado House (I recommend Parreirinha in Alfama). You should stay there between 8:00pm and at least 11:00 pm, otherwise you lost most of fun. <BR><BR>Check in your to do list if you included: <BR><BR>Belem area: <BR>- Jeronimos <BR>- Tower <BR>- Pasteis (custard pies) - factory and shop close early, by 7 pm. <BR>- Museu dos Coches <BR><BR>Former Expo98 <BR>- Oceanario <BR>- Vasco da Gama shopping center <BR>- Oriente train station <BR>- Vasco da Gama tower with a restaurant on the top (over 100 meters hight). It's possible to go there just to see the views, or to have dinner. Having dinner it's a litlle expensive (aprox 50 euros). <BR>- Cib@r Cafe, with access to Internet, to check news in Fodors (Pavillion of Science) <BR><BR>Tipycal districts <BR>- Alfama <BR>- Castle <BR>- Bairro Alto <BR><BR>From Avenida Palace there is a funicular leading just to the heart of Bairro Alto. In the upper end of funicular there's Port Wine Institute, where you may sample 1 or 2 out of a few hundred of samples. (cost aprox 1 $USD for a small glass). <BR><BR>Downtown Lisbon, Cathedral, Castle and Alfama are all close to each other. <BR><BR>The stations in the Metro system are beautiful. In particular, the line going to the Expo area is great (line Oriente and Oriente station). <BR><BR>The ride in the tram line 28 is a must. Bairro Alto, downtown, Cathedral and Alfama are all crossed by this line. <BR><BR>Good news at the end. The Rossio Square seen by Palace Hotel has been in improvement works since 2 years with statues, fontains, etc, covered. Finally the covers were removed this weekend, showing the Square in all it's beauty. <BR><BR>If you are more interested in the cultural area, check:<BR><BR>- Gulbenkian foundation<BR>- Pavilhao Atlantico<BR>- CCB (Centro Cultural de Belem)<BR><BR>All of them have websites with English version. <BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Barbara

Just returned from Lisbon this week. The recommended highlights were a great help, as posted in the listing above. I stayed at the As Janeles Verdes and loved it, but it is out of the center of things, good thing that cabs are cheap. Absolutely fantastic atmosphere, and I would stay there again, or at one of their other hotels, such as the Britania. I was traveling solo as well, and felt very safe. Personally, I found the Baixa fairly quiet at night, which is near the Avenida Palace. I also considered staying there, but in the end opted not to. The square is pretty commercial where it is located. I recommend either the Britannia or the Regency Chiado, I think you will feel safe in both of them. Have fun.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 01:25 AM
ronald

Hi,<BR>I just got back from Lisbon this week. All the other posters gave you good feedback as far as what to see. So, I wanted to tell you about staying at the Tivoli Jardim Hotel in Lisbon. It's a 4* hotel right near the Avenida Liberdade, a hop, skip and jumb to the Metro and bus stops, plus a short stroll to Rossio Station, where you can catch the Train to Sintra, and the general downtown area where you get the #28 tram, and the #15 tram to Belem.<BR><BR>On the Tivoli Hotels site www.tivolihotels.com they have a deal whereby if you stay any 5 nights at a Tivoli 4 star hotel in Portugal (doesn't need to be consecutive nights or same hotel even), it's a total of 420 Euro for the whole 5-day stay. That's only 84 Euro's a night (The normal price is Euro 130) and the Tivoli hotels are really, very, very nice. If you mix 4* with 5* you pay 22 Euro's more a night. The 5* Tivoli Lisbon is more expensive, and next door to the Tivoli Jardim. They call this the Tivoli Package and is quite flexible. You can book it directly with the Tivoli Hotels. I think you should give them a look.<BR><BR>I don't need to add any more about the sites in Lisbon. But be sure to spend at least 3 days in Porto if you can. It's quite a charming and picturesque town. I had only 1 night to spend and the whole afternoon of my one day I enjoyed going from one port wine house to another for tour & tastes. Needless to say I had no pain getting back to the hotel. It's really fun.<BR><BR>I'm sure you'll have a good time, I did.<BR><BR>Ronald

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 03:02 AM
m

if you need some quick answers check my web site in www.geocities.com\mucuruco

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 04:07 AM
Amy

ok...now I don't know what to do...I have booked a room at the Avenida Palace, but it sounds like from the posts that the Avenida Palace is not in the safest or most convenient neighborhood. What is the neighborhood like around the Avenida Palace versus the Regency Chiado? I figured since the Avenida Palace was near the big square (Rossio), it would be right in the middle of everything. But having never been to Lisbon, I really don't know! As a female travelling solo...where would I be better off? The Avenida Palace or the Regency Chiado? I really like the old world type of hotels...that's one of the reasons why the Avendida Palace appealed to me. P.S. I have booked the Infante de Sagres for my stay in Porto...was that a good choice? Thanks for all your suggestions...I really appreciate them!<BR>~Amy

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Barbara

Amy, If you read through earlier threads on hotel in Lisbon you will see that I had the same question. I received several responses from single women recommending the Regency Chiado. I too like old and charming hotels, which why I looked at the Avenida Palace. Tivoli is quite modern--need I say more? Also I was on the square near the Avenida to get a taxi back, and on a Sunday, it was a little creepy, deserted the way business districts can be after hours.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 02:16 PM
joao

Relax Amy<BR><BR>Both Avenida Palace and Regency Chiado are perfectly located. In fact they are in the same area of Lisbon and a few minutes apart. To classify both, I'd say:<BR><BR>Avenida Palace --&gt; more noble and quiet part of city.<BR>Regency Chiado --&gt; more night live activity.<BR><BR>Are you from Latvia?<BR><BR>Joao

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Surlok

Amy,<BR><BR>I booked the Regency Chiado myself, also because despite being a recently built ( or I'd better say re-built) hotel, it has a lot of character. The architect that projected it is one of the best in Lisbon, and responsible for the reconstruction of the Chiado area. It was a major fire that nearly destroyed four blocks, if I'm not wrong. The Regency Chiado is not an impersonal, big, modern hotel, but rather, from the pictures I've seen, and the information I got, a blend between modern and stylish interiors. The Tivoli looks characterless, the Regency Chiado is full of character. Besides, I prefer smaller, charming hotels than the gigantic ones, and while I love antiques, I hate dated plumbing. <BR><BR>http://portugal-info.net/lisboncoast/lisbon.htm<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>s

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Amy

Joao...yes I am an American living in Riga, Latvia. And yes, I do need to relax...I am so indecisive about travel plans! I was originally going to the Amalfi Coast for this holiday, but now I changed my mind due to a one day airfare sale that B.A. had in December. I think I will go ahead and keep my reservation for the Avenida Palace. Are you from Portugal Joao?<BR>Thanks to the other "Fodorites" who replied to me...I really appreciate it! I am new to this living overseas thing and travelling around Europe. I can never seem to make up my mind about anything...that's why I always ask a ton of people before I commit. Be glad you are not one of the expats that I work with...I tend to drive them nuts asking them about traveling plans! I am off this Thursday to Prague for a meeting...I am staying at the Hotel Palace Praha...I finally decided on this hotel after booking 2 others prior to this! I've never been to Prague and am quite excited even though I will have some meetings to attend...<BR>Thanks Again to all you guys!<BR>~Amy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -