Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Going to Paris in December - jazz clubs (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/going-to-paris-in-december-jazz-clubs-197190/)

Mike Oct 20th, 2001 07:32 AM

Going to Paris in December - jazz clubs

Hi everyone -- I often read the posts on this board and appreciate the advice and information - thanks. I hope to be traveling to Paris in December for Christmas My wife is unsure if she wants to fly, she has been to Paris 4 times in the past and I have been once. If I do go, we plan a quiet, low-key vacation to enjoy the Christmas decorations, shopping, dining, and jazz clubs. And that leads to my question, does anyone have any good recommendations on jazz clubs to visit in Paris? We're pretty much open to all types of jazz. Thanks

Sue Oct 20th, 2001 07:48 AM

Do a search (text = jazz, subject = France) and you will find a lot of past posts about jazz clubs in Paris.

xxxx Oct 20th, 2001 07:57 AM

Hey Sue I think that Mike is asking for personal recommendations for jazz clubs. Do you have one?

Ursula Oct 20th, 2001 10:25 AM

Mike: My all time favourite is "Le Bilboquet", rue Saint-Benoît, 6th. <BR>Get a copy of Paris' weekly What's on "Pariscope" and have a look at the "Jazz-rock section" for further suggestions. There are litteraly tons of good jazz-clubs around.

Surlok Oct 20th, 2001 12:17 PM

There's a funny place in the 5eme, at 5, Rue de la Huchette, La Caveau da La Huchette. There's live music, with big bands playing swing and boogie, and the attendance often dance, too. On Sunday, people wear clothing inspired in the 50ies fashion style. It's a very informal setting, and lively audience. Check what is happening there on www.pariscope.com. <BR> <BR>I also like the jazz club at Hotel La Villa, in the 6eme, at 29, Rue Jacob, on the corner of Rue Bonaparte, where usually American jazz bands perform. This one is more upscale, for those who like to only sit, drink and listen. <BR> <BR>Le Petit Journal in Montparnasse, at 13 rue du Commandant-Mouchotte, is also nice, presenting international performers, as is the New Morning, in the 10eme, 7-9 rue des Petites Ecuries. These two are the among the most traditional jazz clubs in Paris. <BR> <BR>I hope it helps, <BR> <BR>Surlok

Ladybug Oct 20th, 2001 04:03 PM

Hi, Mike - I have no knowledge of jazz clubs, but just wanted to mention that a few days ago I saw "Paris Blues" on cable TV and it would be perfect for you and your wife to rent the video prior to your trip. It was like viewing black-and-white photographs of 1960 Paris, with a jazz score by Duke Wellington and a cameo performance in a jazz club by Louie Armstrong. An added bonus is that the stars were Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Sidney Poitier, Dianne Carroll - all in their prime. Newman and Poitier are jazz musicians living in Paris. The ladies are tourists who become their love interests. I'm not big on jazz, but loved the images of Paris 40 years ago. <BR>

Sue Oct 20th, 2001 06:23 PM

Well, xxxx, I presume that the posts on previous threads are personal recommendations--if not, my bad for suggesting a search, you snot. <BR> <BR>I like Le Petit Journal St. Michel mainly because Claude Bolling appears there the last Tuesday of every month. Now are you happy?

xxx Oct 21st, 2001 03:46 AM

Sue <BR>I am sorry. Really <BR> <BR>Thanks for suggestions. I am not Mike but as well interested in a topic. Anyone has recommendations for a place where middle age and older people would feel comfortable? We are taking my father to Paris in December. His wife just died, he loves Paris and jazz and his birthday is in December.

Surlok Oct 21st, 2001 07:09 AM

xxxx, <BR> <BR>I'm middle aged female, and have gone to Caveau de La Huchette and the Jazz Club at Hotel La Villa, and felt pretty comfortable in both. <BR> <BR>Sunday night at La Caveau is great fun! <BR> <BR>Surlok

mimi taylor Oct 21st, 2001 07:19 AM

Chez Lionel Hampton at the <BR>hotel Meridien Etoile <BR>7Lizards on rue des Rosiers where musicians gather after their own gigs. <BR>Duc des Lombards, another musicians hangout. <BR>Sunset ans Sunside clubs, 60 rue des Lombards in the 1st. <BR>Le petit Opportune 15 rue desLavandieres-Ste-Opportune <BR>These and the well known New Morning club usually play contempoary jazz, often played by visiting Americans. <BR>Please note that the Petit Opportuneis in a cave down a winding steep staircase, in case you have an elderly person with you. <BR>Le Franc Pinot, 1 Quai de Bourbon(ile st.louis) <BR>A surviver in the latin quarter, Caveau de la Hachette and the Slow club rue de Rivoli are the two oldest clubs(1946) both owned by a vibes player. <BR>Blue, swing New Orleans, attracts dancers. <BR>Club St. Germain, run by a jazz critic/trombonist shares the same building as the previously postedBilboquet.

Jazz Oct 22nd, 2001 07:22 AM

Hi Mike, on an added note to Mimi's amazing list that most of these clubs have a cover charge of seven dollars or more. Avoid the caves if your father has trouble walking. Like Ursula, my favorite is Bilbotequet.

Interested Mom Oct 22nd, 2001 10:56 AM

Are any of these places where I could take my 2 children? (ages 7 & 10) They really are well-behaved, and they really do love jazz. <BR>Thanks.

anon Oct 23rd, 2001 03:22 PM

Interested Mom, do you often take your 7 & 10 year old children to night clubs?

Interested Mom Oct 23rd, 2001 04:29 PM

No, that's why I was asking. We DO frequently take them to music venues when the performance is appropriate. And that includes small, club-like venues.

Capo Oct 23rd, 2001 04:39 PM

Interested Mom, here's a URL to a question very similar to yours, along with an answer. <BR> <BR>http://www.paris-anglo.com/questions...lwithkids.html <BR> <BR>The respondent doesn't specifically address the parent's question about bars, taverns, and nightclubs, but he does address it in general.

Kate Oct 23rd, 2001 04:44 PM

Hello, we also enjoyed Le Petit Opportun for some wonderful jazz. We kind of joked afterwards that Le Petit Opportun really meant that there was a little opportunity to see anything! The show is down in the cellar which was probably 3 rooms at one point. The front room is THE BEST. There is a room, which might have been a closet, in between the two larger rooms, in which one can see the musicians fairly well. If you are in the back room, forget it. You might as well be in doctor's waiting room (with cool jazz piped in.) You just can't see. There is movement & we changed our seats 3 times (ending up with good ones.) We also went late...around 11:30 - Midnight. For the person who asked about taking their kids...It may not be the best idea. I have been to many jazz clubs in places like NYC where there is no smoking...But in may of the Paris clubs, including the one I have mentioned above, there is a TON of smoke. Even if your kids were well behaved, I doubt that you would want to expose them to all of that (pretty nasty stuff...) -Kate

Interested Mom Oct 23rd, 2001 04:51 PM

Capo & Kate, <BR>Thanks very much for your input - that's exactly what I needed to know. <BR>And Capo - great site!

Jazz clubber Oct 23rd, 2001 04:59 PM

Totally agree with Kate. Do not take children, too much smoke. Some of the steps very steep, narrow. Thanks for the great list Mimi, I'll work my way through.

Capo Oct 23rd, 2001 05:04 PM

You're welcome, Interested Mom. I have Applefield's book and really like it. <BR> <BR>I think it's wonderful that your kids love music and also think it's nice that jazz clubs in Paris will apparently let them in, should you guys decide to do this while you're there.

Capo Oct 23rd, 2001 05:09 PM

Kate & Jazz Clubber, David Applefield (at the link I posted) agrees with you guys about second-hand cigarette smoke, calling it more bothersome than the alcohol question. And, contrary to what some smokers seem to think, I'm also a firm believer in the dangers of second-hand smoke. But, assuming Interested Mom and her husband don't take their kids into smoky clubs -- or other smoky places -- on a regular basis, do you really feel that one, or maybe two, night's exposure to second-hand smoke is going to cause lasting harm?