Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Going to Paris - Are there any comfortable walking shoes that look OK? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/going-to-paris-are-there-any-comfortable-walking-shoes-that-look-ok-789260/)

usafran Jun 10th, 2009 07:50 AM

Going to Paris - Are there any comfortable walking shoes that look OK?

I’ll be in Paris in July and August, and I will be doing a lot of walking. At home I always change into a pair of Rockport Prowalkers when I walk, otherwise my legs get so tired I have to sit down after 2 or 3 hours. Does anyone have any suggestions for shoes that lace up and give a lot of support but don’t look like white athletic shoes? Everything I read on what to wear or what not to wear in Paris says to stay away from anything that looks like white sneaker. Also, will it be hot in Paris July and August? Would capris be inappropriate? And if not, are there any shoes that would give support but could be worn with capris?

dunia123 Jun 10th, 2009 08:15 AM

A classic challenge, one that I haven't quite solved. I'd recommend a sandal (Clarks has some good options) that will give you support with enough style to avoid the white athletic shoe look. Another option is some of the more modern athletic shoes (Puma) that look a little more stylish (and you'll seen worn in Paris). The capris will be fine, and yes, it will likely be warm when you're there. Enjoy!

jetsetj Jun 10th, 2009 08:30 AM

PLEASE !!
If you are comfortable, wear the white shoes.
Like anyone in Paris cares...

Royal Jun 10th, 2009 08:42 AM

Hi. I just bought a pair of Rockport shoes "Latorio" in black and they are quite stylish and super comfortable with lots of cushioning.They are available in other colors too. I will be taking them to Paris this September.

Google the Rockport website and you will see them.

Guenmai Jun 10th, 2009 08:47 AM

I'm taking the finncomfort.com, style-soho 82743, suede tennis shoes. I wear them almost every day at home and they are totally comfortable. Finncomfort can really make a pair of shoes. I have two pairs of that style tennis shoe.

I'll also take the Mephisto, Allrounders and a pair of shoes for if I want to go out in the evening. Happy Travels!

tod Jun 10th, 2009 08:50 AM

I don't give a fig about stylish whether in my home town or Paris! They don't either. I saw more Crocs than ever been worn from people in the UK to Paris. (if they are the genuine article) a very comfortable shoe.
Your legs are tired because they probably need 'Support Hose' or what we refer to as medical stockings. Believe me nobody knows you are wearing them and at the end of a very very long day walking the length and breadth of Paris your legs(and veins) will be in excellent shape with no tired feet.

lowcountrycarol Jun 10th, 2009 08:51 AM

I recently bought a pair of Ecco sandals that have velcro on the straps and found them so comfortable for walking all around Rome that this was all I wore.....without socks and feet felt great!

voyager61 Jun 10th, 2009 09:03 AM

Mephisto black suede sandals are super comfortable and look good anywhere. I walked all over Rome and Paris in them. For an inexpensive black sneaker, try the Reebok women's Classic. It's not super attractive, but it is comfortable, black and easily kept clean with just water. They look fine with capris or city shorts, as long as you us low-rise "tennis" socks in black or white.

michele_d Jun 10th, 2009 09:07 AM

Hi usafran,
We too will be in Paris in August. Capris it is for me. I too was wondering what would be a good shoe to wear with capris, comfortable etc.

For a test run, last summer I bought a pair of Teva sandals (the style from Magellans). I bought the ones with the adjustable strap that goes across the top of your foot and the strap behind your ankle.

I love them so much I am ordering another pair this week as this will be the only shoe I plan on wearing with my capris for our three month trip this summer.

They have got to be THE most comfortable sandal I have ever worn. I had major back surgery last year and they are the only sandals I can walk in for more than 30 minutes without my back hurting. I also need good ankle support. Even though these sandals are thin and strappy, they do the job. My ankles never feel wobbly in them. Must be the cushy cork soles and all the straps.

My other shoes are Sketchers tennis shoes. Tan and dark brown and sooooooooo comfortable too. Good luck with your search.

Take care,
Michele

Cries_Van_Notebook Jun 10th, 2009 09:27 AM

No one in Paris will care what you wear--not even Carine Roitfeld--so wear what is comfortable to you.

Thin

TPAYT Jun 10th, 2009 09:45 AM

I agree---no one cares what you wear---be comfortable. I always take a pair of Ecco or Mephisto cushy type sandals and a pair of multi-colored suede tie-ups(I call them my bowling shoes). I wear one on one day, the other the next day to change it up.

One of the best things to do in Paris is walk, please make sure you're able to do so.

Christina Jun 10th, 2009 09:48 AM

Sure, it can be hot in Paris in July and August. I always take some capris. I do like my Ecco sandals very much for walking a lot -- they might be the kind lowcountrycarol has -- they have black straps, a velcro closing, and the sole is cork, which absorbs shocks a lot. They are not super great looking, but are nicer looking than those real casual thinkgs, such as Teva. I also have some sandals by Merrell that I like a lot -- they are sort of sandals, sort of flip-flips, I guess (but not flimsy ones), with a thick sole (rubber or something, cushiony) , sueded upper and the straps are thick and sueded, also. Those are more casual than the Eccos.

As for lace-up shoes -- There are a lot of them, I'm sure Ecco has some, and I've seen others. I actually have a very comfortable pair by Naturalizer that is kind of a European walking shoe look.

kerouac Jun 10th, 2009 10:24 AM

Don't worry. Here, once again, is my link to what Parisians were wearing last summer in my residential neighborhood in the 18th arrondissement: http://tinyurl.com/d36vxo

Frankly, anybody who worries what it is appropriate to wear on the streets of Paris after seeing that has a screw loose.

Naturally, it is not forbidden dress nicely for certain outings in the evening.

Delaine Jun 10th, 2009 10:24 AM

I recently bought a pair of Coach sneakers/tennis shoes (tan "C" print canvas with gold leather trim). They are very cute but also very comfortable. I plan to wear them on my upcoming trip.

eurogals Jun 10th, 2009 10:40 AM

I wear Clark black tie shoes. They are part suede and leather. They are very much like a tennis, but don't have the look of tennis.

Since I have a basic black or khaki wardrobe they work with everything. In the evening I wear black sandals. I also bring ECCO sandals for daytime just in case I should get a blister or want to look better in my capris.

The Clark tie shoes are in all Clark stores or online.

iris1745 Jun 10th, 2009 10:50 AM

Hi; Try Land's End and look for 'trekker shoes'. www.landsend.com/ Dick

BobbyPam Jun 10th, 2009 12:42 PM

Hi USAFran -

I just came back from Paris, and I wore brown suede Champion walking shoes that I bought at Payless. They are inexpensive and very comfortable. You're going to have a great time. Paris is charming. My favorite museum was the Musee Rodin, and my favorite meal was at Le Cigale Recamier. Be careful around the Eiffel Tower, there are very aggressive Nigerian pickpockets.

bluzmama Jun 10th, 2009 08:04 PM

My advice is whatever shoes you take, make sure that they've been worn often enough to determine if they'll be comfortable.

travelroo Jun 10th, 2009 08:50 PM

Merrell makes the most comfortable walking shoe I have ever worn. All kinds are available and some look very nice....not at all like walking shoes.

bettyo70 Jun 10th, 2009 09:20 PM

My favorite comfortable, but still good-looking, shoes are ARCHE (a French brand) and CAMPER (a Spanish brand).

Arche has some frumpy styles, but some hip styles as well. They are on the expensive side.

Camper definitely is more funky and trendy, but still very well made. They seem to be at a lower price point than Arche.

Both brands have styles that go well with pants as well as dresses and skirts. So just because you are out walking all day... you can still wear these out to dinner and not feel like your wearing your sneaks.