Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Paris and just broke my foot....

Jan 13th, 2004, 07:04 PM
TahitiTams

Will be there in early March and I will still be in crutches..Any suggestions for me? I love Paris and will be staying in the 7th district..Should I postpone or just start drinking?
Thanks,
Gimpy

Jan 13th, 2004, 07:15 PM

well, I sure would postpone, unless you travel so much that isn't a big deal to really impinge on your trip to Paris.

I broke my foot once but didn't need crutches, just a foot brace, and it was healed in about 6 weeks (I broke a metatarsal). Are you sure you will be on crutches that long? quel bummer Aside from that, you just won't be able to walk around that much so it will be different trip.
Jan 13th, 2004, 07:16 PM

I will postpone the trip..Paris is a walking city and you will feel miserable in your conditions.
If you can, wait at least until summer, by then your foot will be healed, therefore you will be able to walk and enjoy such a Lovely city..
Jan 13th, 2004, 07:18 PM

Tahiti, A few years ago, I was hit and run on my bike(a year of going nowhere)
It turned out to be one of the best years in France. When someone saw my arm in a cast and my being disabled, they raised their casts(all Frenchmen) This happened on the road too. Wherever we were, some offered to cut my food to give my husband a rest. I cant tell you enough how great that was. It wouldn't happen here.
Jan 14th, 2004, 05:55 AM

Big difference between broken arm and broken foot. I broke my foot on May 23 and did not get off the boot until early Sept, and was not allowed to put weight on it for about 12 weeks. How long have you been using the crutches? They were so painful to me (under the arms) - I had to switch to a wheelchair. I can't imagine navigating Paris on crutches - maybe with a wheelchair, though. There was another poster who accompanied someone in a wheelchair and then reported back how the trip went. You should read that.

As an additional "footnote" (harhar), I had a trip to Rome scheduled for October following the summer on crutches, but switched it to Paris b/c at least I knew what the city was like. Even after that much healing, back into regular shoes, my foot swelled by the afternoon and I had to elevate it daily.
Jan 14th, 2004, 06:08 AM
ira

Hi gimpy,

Look at the bright side. Call the airline and tell them of your injury, they will provide you with a wheelchair and maybe a better seat.

You will get a seat on the metro and buses.

You might get to use the elevators in museums, etc.

Everyone will be much more helpful and friendly.
Jan 14th, 2004, 06:57 AM

With crutches the metro is a no-no; slippery, narrow stone stairs would be dangerous. You will run into rain in March and the streets will also be precarious. If you can get down to using only a cane, as I do, the 7th arr. will be a much more friendly place.
Good luck! JP
Jan 14th, 2004, 07:15 AM
JonJon

Travel, unfortunately, by its very nature, has always favored the able-bodied. If you felt the need to ask the question then I think I'd delay the journey.