Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Going to Nice and Eze from Cruise ship (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/going-to-nice-and-eze-from-cruise-ship-230999/)

doug Jun 14th, 2002 07:09 AM

Going to Nice and Eze from Cruise ship

Okay four adults with 8-9 hours. The plan is to grab a cab coming off the ship and go to Nice, hang out in the old town for a bit. Get a cab to Eze then cab back to the ship.<BR>1. Assume cabs will be available, have seen posts that cabs to carry four are a problem in France. Any one have experience in this case getting a 4 person cab.<BR>2. How close will a cab get us to the old town in Eze.<BR>3. Anyone know any other reasons this plan is flawed<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Doug

Nancy Jun 14th, 2002 08:57 PM

Your ship is docking where....Villefranche?

amy Jun 15th, 2002 06:43 AM

Doug: My opinion is coming from staying a week in Nice and doing day trips up and down the coast by rail every day. <BR><BR>Now to your questions: I don't know that cab situation Villefranche, so I'm no help there. If you can get a 4-person cab, there's no problem getting you close to Old Nice. Unfortunately, traffic is the problem during the summer. For that reason and others, I'm suggesting train, not cab, plus a different itinerary.<BR><BR>We enjoyed Nice, but we think "Old Nice" is over-rated compared to some of the other towns on the coast. If you have bad weather that day, do go to Nice and see three museums, their Modern Art Museum, the Matisse museum, and the Chagall Biblical Message museum. <BR><BR>If you have good weather, though, and if you're docking in Villefranche, take advantage of being near the most scenic area of the Cote d'Azur. Villefranche has a Jean Cocteau chapel, and a cute little "old town." Lots of seaside cafes. You can take the train (very close to the docking area) east over to Eze sur Mer (just the second stop), hike up the cliffside pathway (took us one hour)that gives you stunning views, and have lunch at one of the scenic restaurants at the top (just do a search on "Eze" for those cafes). Cute little shops, but the best part is the view, view, view. Heck you can do a perfume factory tour while you're there. Getting down the path takes about 1/2 hr. You can hop the train again, go to Beaulieu sur Mer and visit the reproduction Greek palace (really neat), and walk around a wonderful walking path toward Cap Ferrat, cutting over the hill to see the Rothschild gardens. You can walk back to Beaulieu and take the train from there to Villefranche or walk on to Villefranche from the gardens. You can also walk entirely around the Cap.<BR><BR>

sue Jun 15th, 2002 06:49 AM

Hi,<BR>Last year I was on Seabourn and it docks right in Nice, on the other side of the old town, around the east side of the Fort. If you are a walker, you can actually walk into the old town. <BR>I loved the old town. It had charming alleys and nooks and crannies and some very nice restaurants. You can also walk the Promenade des Anglais, which is the beachside promenade that goes the length of Nice.<BR>Eze is also charming and very easy to get to. The cabs can get very close to where ever you want to go.<BR>If you are in Villefranche it will take the cab about 15-20 minutes, depending on traffic to get to Nice. Most of the larger ships dock there. It would be about 25-30 minutes to Eze.<BR>Enjoy.

Doug Jun 17th, 2002 06:38 AM

Thanks. Good stuff. RCCL @ Villefranche. Traffic would definitely be a flaw in the plan. <BR>Eze: Had considered the train but wanted to avoid the 1 hour walk up the hill. I know there are buses but figured a cab was easier. We'll see how the cab situation looks when we arrive.<BR>Nice: The wives are pretty intent on Nice. They consider my getting advice over the internet to be a bit odd. I'll check the train schedule to Nice. Maybe Train to Nice, train to Eze-sur-Mer, bus up the hill, cab back to ship.<BR><BR>Doug