Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to London tomorrow - I'm so excited!

Jan 20th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

After researching for many days and nights, jotting down notes and purchasing needed items, I think I'm ready for my solo trip!

Since I'll arrive on Thursday and leave on Monday, I think one carryon bag is sufficient. I'm bringing my wool coat, umbrella, some snacks and vitamins, a fork, three turtlenecks, a pair of nice pants for theater, wool socks, my Ecco shoes, gloves, scarf, and NO purse. Oh, and, of course, my beloved digital camera. Just changed the battery on my watch. I think I'm good to go. Anything I've missed?

Jan 20th, 2004, 05:39 PM

I have Ecco shoes too -- love em!! Have a great time in London!!!
Jan 20th, 2004, 05:40 PM

If you don't already have a good map of central London, pick one up before hitting the streets.
Jan 20th, 2004, 05:40 PM

A fork?

Care to explain? And will it make it through security in the carryon?
Jan 20th, 2004, 05:56 PM

I will be curious, too, to see if the fork passes security. If it does, we're sunk!
Jan 20th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Plastic fork for cup o noodles.

Got some free maps from AAA today. Also printed some from sites I found. If they're not good enough I'll get some at the airport.
Jan 20th, 2004, 07:19 PM

I bring a set of plastic "silverware" in my carryon bag as well for snacking on a quiche or whatever in the hotel room. Actually showed it to them in JFK once when they asked if I had a knife. No problem with it. Have a fabulous trip, singlegalzzz,
Mara
Jan 20th, 2004, 08:14 PM

My first sol trip was 2 summers ago so I understand what you are feeling..excitement and trepidaton at the same time...I was in London last summer and loved it!!!You will have a terrific time. This spring I am venturng farther..Prague, Poland and Lithuania...and I am really nervous. Have a wonderful time
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:44 AM
Sylvia

Have a wonderful visit. There are some really good shows on at the moment.
Buy an A-Z when you arrive, you can get one at any stationers. Even Londoners can be seen using it.
I'm sure that you don't need to be reminded of the line in the nursery rhyme: "Come with a good will or not at all".
There's been a recent London trip report where the writer hated everything from Hampstead Heath to Buckingham Palace. I think that they liked St. Pauls which must be a great relief to Sir Christopher Wren.

Jan 21st, 2004, 04:34 AM

Hi,

Ditto on the AtoZ map, it's got the most detail. You might want to combine it with another "touristy" map that shows the general locations of any of the things you want to see. Also, you mught want to pick up a Time Out magazine when you land. This will give you the events happening this week, listing of walking tours and locations,etc.. If you can make one, these walking tours are usually worth it. And the double decker tour of the city is a worthwhile intro to the City (I know I took it from Marble Arch, other locations to.)

Hope you enjoy your trip,
Mike
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:47 AM

I don't want to stress you & it's already Thursday, but I would add a few things,just in case.

xtra glasses/contacts
some "just in case" medicine
Equal/Sweet n Low if you use sweetener

Have a great trip!
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:59 AM

A change of shoes in case they get soaked? xeroxed copy of your passport for back up?

Did you call and alert your bank that you will be using your ATM and credit cards in England? Also get their phone numbers that are good from the UK.

Enjoy, but don't forget you owe us a trip report!

Keith