Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   GOING TO LONDON MID-NOVEMBER (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/going-to-london-mid-november-17926/)

ANN Oct 15th, 1997 08:48 AM

GOING TO LONDON MID-NOVEMBER

THANK YOU FODOR'S FOR SUCH AN INTELLIGENT AND INFORMATIVE RESOURCE. IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THE RADISSON VANDERBILT HOTEL ON CROMWELL ROAD IN SOUTH KENSINGTON? ALSO, WILL A LONG GABARDINE TRENCHCOAT WITH A LIGHTWEIGHT ZIPOUT LINER BE ADEQUATE, TOO MUCH OR TOO LITTLE. I'LL APPRECIATE YOUR REPLIES. ANN

JOAN DOYLE Oct 15th, 1997 11:37 AM

Don't know the Radisson you mentioned but, as a chain, it should be OK. Cromwell Road is a VERY crowded and busy area but there's plenty of public transit--both busses and the underground. Take a small photo and hie yourself to the nearest Underground Station when you arrive and buy a weekly visitor's pass. It lets you get on and off busses and the Underground at will--so if you make a mistake you can correct it; or if you spot a GREAT BARGAIN from the bus window you can hop off and chase it down. Your gabardine trench-coat sounds OK but I'm not sure the "light-weight lining" will be warm enough. However if you take several turtle-neck T-shirts and LAYER them you should be all right. There are lots of INSIDE things to do in London in November though the days are very SHORT and tend to be dark and wet. There's always something going on at the V&A though and you could easily spend a day there--to say nothing of the British Museum, all the theaters, and retail temples such as Harrod's and Selfridge's. I've been there the last five or six Novembers (and one January) and haven't been discouraged by the weather yet. But the coach flight over and back--there's another story. Hav a marvelous time. Joan

ann Oct 15th, 1997 12:27 PM

JOAN, THANKS FOR YOUR INFORMATION, VERY HELPFUL. i'M ALSO CONSIDERING TAKING A DAY OR OVERNIGHT TRIP TO CORNWALL. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS THERE? THANKS AGAIN, ANN

Mark Oct 15th, 1997 02:34 PM

I'm also staying at the Vanderbilt at the beginning of Jan. Please let me know if you hear anything. Thanks.

Mark Oct 15th, 1997 02:34 PM

I'm also staying at the Vanderbilt at the beginning of Jan. Please let me know if you hear anything. Thanks.

GAIL Oct 15th, 1997 02:50 PM

Ann-my friend and I are also staying at the Vanderbilt in mid-November. The location is good, the hotel is supposed to be nice. I was in London in July and loved it! Get the visitor's card for the Underground and the buses, it's a must. Have a great time, enjoy the flight!?

JOAN DOYLE Oct 15th, 1997 07:14 PM

Dear Ann: Sorry--I've not been to Cornwall but from what I've heard it's more fun in good weather 'cause there's lots of scenery that just doesn't show up in the mist. Have a good time wherever you decide to go and a smooth trip. Joan

sabrina nugara Oct 17th, 1997 11:17 AM

Dear Ann, Cornwall is a little further away than you may suspect - an overnight trip would leave you little time to enjoy it. Joan is right - the weather towards the end of the year makes this trip less enjoyable from the outdoors aspect, but if you're willing to brave the elements then the scenery is superb.
Joan: the Radisson is a good choice. But bring warm clothing to protect you from the poor weather!
To both: enjoy your stays here.

David Pirmann Oct 21st, 1997 09:49 AM

Re: the suggestion about getting a photograph then buying a weekly Underground pass.

If you're in the U.S. near a British Tourism Authority office, you can buy the underground pass (actually a voucher to be redeemed for one when you get there) before you leave. It's cheaper and doesn't require a photocard.

Keep in mind that if you plan to take the Undergrond from the Airport you'll need a 6 Zone pass, but if you are going to take a cab/etc. you can probably make due with a Zones 1 and 2 pass. (More zones%3Dmore money).

--Dave

ellen Oct 22nd, 1997 08:03 AM

DO NOT STAY THERE!!! I was there a year ago. My room and the room next door to ours was broken into. The staff did not care. They found the room broken into and left it unattended so that anyone could just walk in and out until we got home later. Then, they expected us to sleep in the room without a door! The Vanderbilt is a Radisson. When the incident was reported, they also did not care. There were 22 DOORS between the room and the lobby, and little to no security. Police said that 76 robberies were reported in that area within 2 months time.

ellen Oct 22nd, 1997 08:07 AM

DO NOT STAY THERE!!! I was there a year ago. My room and the room next door to ours was broken into. The staff did not care. They found the room broken into and left it unattended so that anyone could just walk in and out until we got home later. Then, they expected us to sleep in the room without a door! The Vanderbilt is a Radisson. When the incident was reported, they also did not care. There were 22 DOORS between the room and the lobby, and little to no security. Police said that 76 robberies were reported in that area within 2 months time.

Mike Miller Oct 26th, 1997 12:05 PM

We were in Cornwall in early Oct. Weather was terrible and although we did get to see alot, we did not get to St. Michael's Mount. You may be better off with a day trip to Bath than Cornwall, which really needs at least 1 week to see just the highlights. We drove it in a Ford Mondeo but next time will opt for a much smaller car due to the very narrow roads. I suppose if there were the one place to go in Cornwall, it would be either Tintagel or Lands End. Another very pretty town just east of Cornwall on the coast is a village called Clovelly - a not to be missed experience!

Suzanne Oct 28th, 1997 06:45 PM

Hello, I have been to London three times. The last time I went over the first week of March. I have always taken a pair of polypropylene long underwear, tops and bottoms. They make them in different weights, the lightweight is perfect. You can buy them in stores that sell snow ski gear and clothing. If you're not familiar with polypropylene, it is a synthetic fabric that keeps you warm but wicks off moisture and breathes. It also dries in a flash, will keep you warm, and dry fast if you get caught in a rainstorm. It's a little expensive but really worth it.

Michelle Bidwell Oct 29th, 1997 08:05 PM

My husband and I are planning to be in London Nov 25-Dec 2 and are looking for a nice hotel (max of $225 US per night)in either Knightsbridge, Mayfair, Kensington or the close surrounding areas. We are purely on holiday and would like to be close to the major attractions. We are considering staying at either the Rembrandt Hotel or the Rubens Hotel. Do you have any comments on either or another suggestions? Thanks.

Mark Oct 31st, 1997 01:46 PM

Ellen,
Thank you so much for the warning. I've already contacted my travel agent about changing hotels, especially since the 2 days in London are part of my honeymoon. Are you aware of any others in the same price range? In the FunJet brochure, there is the Drury's Kensington, Cumberland (Marble Arch) and Drury's Mayfair. Let me know if you've heard anything about these.

gina Oct 31st, 1997 02:19 PM

My family and I were in London last summer and stumbled upon a great hotel--The Westwood,right across from Hyde Park, near the Bayswater tube station. My husband was sick, we had no reservation, and it was friday night. The Westwood went out of their way to accomodate us not only for that night but for the next four nights as well, even though they were booked. You can find their phone/fax numbers in the Rick Steves 1997 book. Approx $200 per night but worth it because of location and very nice staff. Airbus to Heathrow picks up across the street. Have fun!

Julie Nov 23rd, 1997 08:42 AM

My husband and I were in London in 1994 and stayed at the Rubens. We found it to be a lovely quaint hotel with a wonderful staff. The rooms were alittle small but had recently been renovated so were very nice. I know you are leaving on the 25th but I just read the forum. We are returning on Nov. 29 and will be trying the London Guards Hotel

Have a wonderful time1