Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Going to Krakow? Avoid 2nd October. (really) as the mighty Spurs are in town. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/going-to-krakow-avoid-2nd-october-really-as-the-mighty-spurs-are-in-town-422004/)

Cholmondley_Warner Aug 30th, 2008 04:15 AM

Going to Krakow? Avoid 2nd October. (really) as the mighty Spurs are in town.

And the local, very tasty, firm are bound to have a pop what with us having this reputation and all that.

Seriously, if you have a choice I would avoid it.

If you don't, fancy meeting for a beer?

walkinaround Aug 30th, 2008 04:58 AM

if an anglophile is interested in a glimpse into the real british culture, he is advised to take cw up on his offer and perhaps try to extend it beyond just a drink. if i were pal_q, i would try to hook up with cw and his mates. this is a unique and very generous offer from cw.

we gonna drink some carlings, puke up and terrorise the locals. the british are coming. let's teach these dirty poles who's boss. our footie organisation is better than your footie organisation, we can bash your heads more effectively than you can bash our heads and more importantly we can drink more than you and puke more prolifically. our spurs are so much hotter than your spurs. that's why we are the hot spurs. keep out of our way or we'll poke you with our hot spurs. yeah. uk/england/great britain rocks!

this is what international travel is all about and i think that pal_q should understand this if he really wants to understand our great nation. it's called great britain for a reason and we gonna show the poles why some land of pole (whatever that means) is no match for a britain that is great.

i'm sick of hearing all these lesser peoples coming here and droning on about travelling to experience other cultures and other complete bollox. international travel is about bashing heads. anybody travelling for other reasons had better avoid krakow because we are kracking heads in krackow.

and we ain't saying 'sorry' any more. it's time we stop being a nation of apologisers. great britain don't need to apologise to no one.

flanner says it's 'crakow' by the way. 'krakow' makes him mad but i'm sure you'll get a pass since you're on team gb.

and there is absolutely nothing gay about the name 'hot spurs'.

Cholmondley_Warner Aug 31st, 2008 04:03 AM

I too have my doubts on that front. We simply can't maintain this level of lunacy.

willit Aug 31st, 2008 10:45 AM

No CW, he has us bang to rights - just as he found out that we all really drink Budweiser but only pretend not to because of our hatred of all things American.

I am sure that once on tour, you lose your veneer of respectability and become a rampaging hooligan.

I know that on away days, I put away my pretence of being a normal, boring professional, and resort to Neanderthal behaviour. So do my travelling companions - the Taxman, the schoolteacher, the headmaster, the rock singer, and occasionally the award winning screenwriter, the Times journalist, the diplomat, the international banker and the Rocket scientist. We are all animals really and I feel so much better now that walkinaround has revealed our secret to the world.

walkinaround Aug 31st, 2008 11:38 AM

you provincials are so adorable. i wish i could have you all made into commemorative tea sets for my mantlepiece.

Cholmondley_Warner Sep 1st, 2008 01:19 AM

We will be doing traditional english football fan stuff.

We've booked a trip to Auschwitz, just like the yobboes we are.

J_R_Hartley Sep 1st, 2008 09:28 AM

Walkinaround excelling himself. The word Provincial bandied about liberally.

Where does he come from to throw this word about with such ease?

Perhaps he went to London once or saw a documentary about "Abroad".

Me? Born in Luxembourg to a father working for the Foreign office to a mother born in South Africa and brought up in Singapore, Burma and India.

I was brought up in Africa, University Educated, in foreign languages, history and culture and have lived studied and worked in France, Russia, the Caribbean and the US, speak three languages and have travelled the world.

BUT!!!!!! Dare I suggest that Cheddar is a superior cheese to Cantal Vieux (which it is), or that American Budweiser tastes like urine (which it does), I instantly become the club footed boss eyed village idiot who has never been over the other side of the hill, and have a pathological hatred of the people from the next village.

Tell us about yourself walkinaround.

Cholmondley_Warner Sep 1st, 2008 09:41 AM

Tell us about yourself walkinaround.>>>>

I seem to remeber it claimed to work in the city.

Well, Golf Sale signs don't hold themselves up.

J_R_Hartley Sep 1st, 2008 10:33 AM

Merchant Banker?

Pegontheroad Sep 1st, 2008 10:48 AM

J_R_Hartley: How do you know how urine tastes, anyway?

In the 1960's, before I had traveled outside the U.S., I had this stereotype of British being very reserved, polite, stiff-upper-lip and all that.

Then I went to a party at an American officers' club, which some of the British forces were attending. My! What a surprise! When these fellows had a couple of belts in them, they were a trifle on the wild side.

My revised opinion was pretty much confirmed when I went to Krakow a couple of years ago.

annhig Sep 1st, 2008 11:20 AM

Hi CW,

I'd love to come with you but I'm already being sent to Coventry.

will our latest russian signing [too lazy to look up how to spell his name] be exligible to play or is he cup-tied?

go spurs

regards, ann

ter2000 Sep 1st, 2008 12:33 PM

Just be careful. I was in Lisbon last year when Portugal were due to play Poland, and the Polish "fans" were just plain scary. Skinheads all, drinking vodka by the bottle in the squares from morning until night and fighting among themselves - I was very glad that we were leaving on the day the match was due to take place. The hooligan tradition is a very popular one in some of those former Eastern Bloc countries - stay well clear.

J_R_Hartley Sep 1st, 2008 01:10 PM

"J_R_Hartley: How do you know how urine tastes, anyway?"

I was in the Army Cadets...

Cholmondley_Warner Sep 2nd, 2008 08:22 AM

Back in the day...The test for diabetes was to taste the patients urine. If it tasted sweet, he had diabetes.

(Diabeltes is Diabetes mellitus - mellitus meaning honey)

CW - Knows too much stuff.