Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Going to Italy in the fall. Can I wear black stretch pants? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/going-to-italy-in-the-fall-can-i-wear-black-stretch-pants-74306/)

Tooembarrassed May 31st, 2000 03:39 PM

Going to Italy in the fall. Can I wear black stretch pants?

I want to wear black stretch pants during my fall vacation to Italy, Paris and London for touring and restaurants. The idea would be the non-shiny fitted pant (like a stirrup pant without the stirrup) with a longish shirt or sweater on top and black shoes beneath. These pants are a cotton/Lycra blend, I think, and they will dry quickly if washed by hand. On my last trip to Europe many years ago, I foolishly wore jeans and huge white tennis shoes, and I felt like a freak the whole time (when I wasn't waiting for my jeans to dry). So I was hoping to do better this time. Should I put the stretch pants back into the closet? Would they be a problem in Cathedrals?

Joanna May 31st, 2000 03:45 PM

Dear too embarrassed, <BR>The black trousers sound ideal. I bought a pair of stretch black pants at Sorrento (Max & Co.) because I saw so many Italian girls in that style. They can be dressed up or down. No problems at all with entering cathedrals or churches. <BR>Try to find comfortable shoes similar to your tennis shoes, but in black. Won't show the dirt and easier to match with anything. There is an Italian brand called Superga available worldwide.

Lesli May 31st, 2000 04:05 PM

If they are actual pants (like stretch twill, with a zipper), they're perfect. This type usually has to be drycleaned, but mine (from the Gap) have held up well for several 2-week trips; no wrinkles and can be dressed up/down. If what you're talking about are very thin and tight, like leggings, you may want to invest in something that looks more like a more fitted version of black khakis.

tooembarrassed May 31st, 2000 04:49 PM

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I guess I am thinking of leggings, I guess. What you might wear for exercise class, except much thicker, but still fitted and not meant for exercise. They were popular in the US about 5 years ago. They are from Nordstroms, if I recall. <BR> <BR>Leslie, what kind are you talking about? Are they the type one only wears if one is 110 pounds?

elvira Jun 1st, 2000 08:58 AM

Leggings are pretty much all we wear (none of us would be mistaken for Twiggy or Calista), with or without stirrups. They don't take up much room or weight in the suitcase, they dry in a reasonable amount of time (and, if you use a European laundromat, you'll find the drums much smaller than those in the US, so 'smaller' clothes fit better), they offer a layer under a skirt if it's nippy, they don't drag in anything (see posts under 'toilets'), they can look dressy with a blazer and scarf, they are comfortable, and they don't get caught in doors or on your heel. <BR> <BR>We always take a skirt (broomstick or jersey knit) just in case, but live in the leggings for our trips. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

michele Jun 1st, 2000 11:24 AM

Here's the thing. People wear different things everywhere, including within the United States. I live in Washington DC, and to be honest with you, I can't remember the last time I saw someone here in the city (or in New York, Chicago, or any other big city) wearing leggings, except for tourists. They're just not in style. But that doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't wear them. I see leggings a bit more in the suburbs. People do wear them here in the city for running/exercise wear but that's about it -- not to nice restaurants or anything like that. So to me, the question is, do you want to take something that is easy to wash and wear, or do you want to take something in which you will look perfectly appropriate no matter where you go and never feel underdressed? I personally think the ones Lesli was describing work better for travel -- simple, lightweight black pants that button or zip up, rather than the pull-up elastic-waist leggings. I know leggings are easy, but they still do not look nearly as nice (in my opinion) as a decent pair of black pants or slacks. And if you look in fashionable store windows or catalogues, when was the last time you saw them showcasing a chic pair of leggings? Stores like the Gap, Ann Taylor, etc. sell lightweight cotton&synthetic blend pants that are comfortable & pack very well. And so do specialty travel outfitters. Some of the cropped length and capri ones are particularly comfy and easy and don't take up much room in the suitcase or washer. I'm not a fashionista -- I still say you should take whatever you're most comfortable in. I just think you may be more comfortable in something that looks great in almost every setting, which leggings don't.

Santa Chiara Jun 1st, 2000 12:35 PM

Thank you so much Michele for offering such non-offensive, objective voice to this discussion. Although I understand the concept of "it doesn't matter what you wear, no one is going to kick you out of the country" (maybe the church, but not the whole ccuntry), I am so tired of having to explain to Italian colleagues about Americans sloppy style of dressing (really can't explain it, but I try). And also, if someone takes the time to post a query about what to wear, that means you will be self-conscious unless you are dressed appropriately. Appropriate in Italy--for tourists--means tailored tasteful clothes. These can still be comfortable but it doesn't mean something you would wear to the gym. Also, unless you have a drop-dead figure, which the majority of Northern Italian women do, then leggings really aren't appropriate. <BR>

Lesli Jun 1st, 2000 12:59 PM

Another suggestion that is great for travel: a black "jersey knit" skirt (and maybe a matching top.) I got mine at Bannana Republic, but have seen knock-offs at Target. The fabric is a matte-finish poly-rayon blend which can be hand or machine-washed, and it dries overnight. It's not too clingy, so looks okay on those who are not stick-thin. I wear the top and skirt together for the most dressy look, but can also pair the skirt with a tee shirt and/or cardigan/twin set (the latter of which I also love for travel.)

Michelle Jun 2nd, 2000 01:58 PM

The above posters are right. Of course you CAN wear black leggings. But there are better options out there. You must already have an inkling that these are not the best choice, particularly in cosmopolitan cities like Paris and London, since in your second post you acknowledge that they were in style in the U.S. about "5 years ago." If it has been 5 years since they were fashionable here, it has been longer than that since they were in style in the capitals of Europe. Most stores carry nice black pants in a stretchy cotton-lycra blend that will serve you better than those leggings. You don't mention how long you'll be traveling for, but odds are you won't need to wash them out much, if at all unless you're going for longer than 2 weeks (I'm assuming you're bringing more than one pair of pants). Plus, you can spot clean them if necessary. Black almost never shows dirt or wrinkles and holds up well during travel. I can wear mine 5-10 times between cleanings, depending on the weather.

Monica Richards Jun 2nd, 2000 02:05 PM

Tooembarrassed: <BR> <BR>What's "in" enough right now is stretch black pants with a slight boot cut (flare) at the bottom. So you could wear them just like leggings except they look stupid with tennis shoes. I also vote highly for the long stretch skirt. I have a long black one that can go from casual to dressy just depending on the top and I couldn't do without it. In Spain last year I didn't see many women in long skirts, but I didn't feel like I stood out, either.

Topper Jul 28th, 2000 08:46 AM

To the top!

Kate Jul 28th, 2000 11:12 AM

I completely agree with the pants Lesli recommended. I bought 3 pairs at Nordstrom (2 pairs peddle pusher length and one capri) I do not have to dry clean them and they do not wrinkle. Highly recommend these pants and you don't have to be a size 2.

Ms. Gucci Jul 28th, 2000 11:38 AM

How old are you?!!! You cant wear just black pants through the whole trip! Why not try gray, khakis, skirts. The last thing i will do again is wear jeans through my whole vacation. I have found that Italians are very fashionable (most anyways), so why not blend in a bit for fun. Just remember, tennis shoes dont go well with black slacks, so take confortable matching shoes!!!

italian Jul 28th, 2000 11:48 AM

You can wear black pants a lot during a fall vacation ignore the above poster's comments. But I would invest in the type of pants Lesli mentioned. I have some (also from Gap but lots of stores carry them- about $30) they are black and mostly cotton but with a bit of lycra/spandex- that is the secret to avoid the wrinkles. It's usually 98% cotton and 2% lycra/spandex. But they are not leggings they are styled more like dockers. Enjoy your trip!!!

Earl Jul 28th, 2000 03:57 PM

Stretch pants.....how much do you weigh? That would make a difference.

Alisa Jul 28th, 2000 04:47 PM

Go to the Limited Express. They have stretchy black pants that do not wrinkle and are a bit less fitted than leggings but just as comfortable.. they are around $45 and come in various lengths and styles. I traveled with them to London a few months ago and wore them the whole trip. Then you will not have to worry about doing the "long shirt" thing either. You could wear a nice cotton shirt (nice t-shirt style) and be ready to go. The thin, lycra blend dries very quickly and spot cleans as well. And they are inexpensive enough that you could get two colors. Maybe a dark brown or grey. Get a pair of nice walking black sandals and you will be good to go.

Luigi Jul 28th, 2000 04:47 PM

Hey Earl, I don't you should go there! Did you notice you were the only male voice answering here? My only question is, will my khaki dockers make my butt look too fat???

Alisa Jul 28th, 2000 04:49 PM

The black pants at the Gap previously mentioned are great, too. They zip on the side and are stretchy. Everyone I know has a pair they wear constantly. They really look good on everyone.

wanderer Jul 29th, 2000 08:42 AM

Italy is like an uptown disco. They won't stamp your passport until after they spin you around once and like what they see.

Santa Chiara Jul 30th, 2000 03:08 AM

Wanderer, I like your style. What you say is so true.