Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Italy in 3 weeks, Scavi and other questions

Aug 25th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

I am so excited... leaving in exactly 3 weeks.

I emailed the Vatican about the Scavi tour. Got the auto reply email but never heard anything else. Does anyone know if it is appropriate to follow up with an email?

Also... our schedule is as follows.

Sept 17 - arrive in Rome, nap so we can stay up late since this is Notte Bianca!
Sept 18 - Coliseum, Forum, Spanish Steps, Trevi
Sept 19 - Day trip to Florence
Sept 20 - The Vatican
Sept 21 - maybe back to the Vatican, churches, museums.
Sept 22 - Ostia Antica
Sept 23 - 24 .... open to whatever sounds good....

Does anyone have recommendations for the last two days? We wanted to leave it open so we can enjoy the city in a relaxed manner.

Thanks!
Aug 25th, 2005, 05:57 AM

rethink the day trip to florence.

by the time you get there, you'll have little time to scratch the surface. Save florence when you have at least 3-4 days for it.

Stay in rome for the entire time; there is much to do. Don't forget to just sit and relax, shop, etc.

Aug 25th, 2005, 06:08 AM

On one of our weeks in Rome we took a daytrip to Assisi - it was a wonderful day! It gave us a glimpse at Umbria, was relaxing, beautiful and easy. We took the train. When in Rome, be sure to include the Borghese Gallery on your museum list with advanced reservations. It was our favorite museum and a welcome change from the packed like sardines experience of the Vatican Museums (which, of course, is a must-see). Have a fantastic trip!
Aug 25th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Thanks, dorkforcemom (and please someday tell us where you got that screen name).

Assisi remains one of the few "major" places we've never been in Italy. The last time we were driving through from Gubbio to Spoleto and planned to spend a day was the day after the earthquake, so needless to say we bypassed it. How long ago was that? So we've still never made it. It never occurred to me that there might be 2 hour non stop trains from Rome to Assisi, so this sounds like a perfect day trip for us next summer!!!
Aug 25th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Dorkforcemom... are there trains from Rome to Assisi?
Aug 25th, 2005, 01:16 PM

I'm not dorkforcemom (not yet anyway), but yes, you can take a train from Rome to Assisi. I belive there's a change of trains in Foligno. From the Assisi train station take a taxi up to the old town.

I haven't done this as a day trip, so I'm not sure how long of a day this makes. Assisi is especially wonderful late in the evening and early in the morning.
Aug 25th, 2005, 01:21 PM

We took a day trip to Pompeii and another day trip to Villa d'Este and Hadrian's villa (not sure it's official name). Both were great trips. I also think the Borghese Gallery is a must. Have fun!
Aug 25th, 2005, 01:24 PM

I'll answer that, since I looked it up and found there are several choices daily of direct trains from Rome Tiburtina to Assisi. They take just a couple minutes over 2 hours. Sounds like a great day trip from Rome to me.

My preferred schedule? Depart Tiburtina at 8:21 and arrive Assisi at 10:24. Then depart Assisi at 6:21 PM and arrive Tiburtina at 8:26.

There are also a couple direct Eurostars that take only 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Aug 25th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Florence can be done as a daytrip, but only to say that you've been there. I don't think it's unrealistic to do this, but you won't have time to see much more than a few sights, and Florence has so many things to see.

As for what to do on September 23 and 24? How about nothing? Play it by ear. Spend the day in one of the overpriced cafes in Piazza Navona and watch the world go by.
Aug 25th, 2005, 06:00 PM

Hi Monica,

Just kind of tagging on here, but I'm traveling solo and will be in Rome on your same dates. I've been wanting to link up with other Fodorites for a dinner or wine. Let me know if you and your traveling companions might be interested.

PS - I also vote for the day trip to Assisi, or maybe Orvieto. Both are great and easy to do by train. Orvieto is an hour ride.

Buon viaggio!
Aug 25th, 2005, 11:37 PM

Regarding your question on the Scavi tour, I'm not sure whether it is appropriate or not to email them again, but I emailed them a second time last week since I hadn't heard anything after the auto reply email.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll be in Rome in exactly a month. I've given them a window of four days which is supposed to increase our chances but no luck yet...
Aug 26th, 2005, 01:49 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Rome for the first time in July this year. I have posted a trip report with pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there. Get in touch if you have questions or comments.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Aug 26th, 2005, 06:13 AM
dcespedes

Re: the Scavi Tour, I sent our email request 7/25, did not receive an auto reply, received email confirmation of tickets on 8/24 for late October.

Aug 26th, 2005, 09:45 AM
rjs

"I emailed the Vatican about the Scavi tour. Got the auto reply email but never heard anything else. Does anyone know if it is appropriate to follow up with an email?"

I originally emailed the Scavi Tour people in March for our September trip. I got the auto reply only. So I emailed again in June and got an auto reply. Yesterday, Aug 25, I actually got an email from them for my reservation. I believe Scavi Tour usually will wait about a month before your trip to send a reservation email. Just hang in there; I heard they get about a thousand requests a day.

By the way, we'll be arriving the same time as you! However, we're staying about 4 days in ROme, then moving on to Siena, and final stop will be Venice.
Aug 26th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Dayle - email me at [email protected] with your itinerary to see if we can work something out, we are also supposed to meet with someone from tripadvisor.. the more the merrier.

Gard - My husband and I spent at least 1 hour last night going over your Italy report and took tons of notes!!!!

I think I am going to email Scavi again today. Thanks!
Aug 26th, 2005, 12:52 PM

I say try emailing them again. It cant hurt. Good luck,I hope you get your reservation.

I guess I must be really lucky. I sent in my request for my trip in October on August 12th. Got the auto reply on the 17th and just yesterday got my actual reservation.

Tom
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Patrick (& others) - if I remember correctly (to get to Assisi), we took a fast train to Poggibonsi (excuse me for being too lazy to check the spelling), then changed to a regional train for a short ride to Assisi. Once you arrive at the Santa Maria station, there are shuttle buses to take you to the top (where Assisi is). Easy to do, seems like it took about 2 hours, and if St. Francis' history is of interest to you (i.e. "All Things Bright and Beautiful") I highly recommend the daytrip from Rome. On a personal note: As far as the dorkforcemom goes -when my son was in high school, he and his three best friends were known as the dorkforce (a comical play on words/characters) thus I became a dorkforcemom. (In most situations, however, I'm merely Lisa!) Happy travels...
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:02 PM

I meant to say - change trains at Foligno - my apologies.