Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Going to Italy first time Skipping Olympics Mistake or Not? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/going-to-italy-first-time-skipping-olympics-mistake-or-not-498809/)

kendu Jan 27th, 2005 02:58 AM

Going to Italy first time Skipping Olympics Mistake or Not?

I have only eight days next February and have decided I must skip either a quick visit to the olympic events or one of the major cities. I am going with my wife and three teens 13-17. Told there was no way I could do venice, rome, florence and olympics so I am eliminating torino. Is this a mistake or should I eliminate maybe Venice or something? Please help. Any experiences appreciated.
Ken

cmt Jan 27th, 2005 03:27 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34555490

Intrepid1 Jan 27th, 2005 03:38 AM

The Olympics aren't all that different, IMO, regardless of where they are held. OK, admittedly, they probably had some more "significance" for some folks when they were recently held in Greece.

But, if your focus is really seeing Italy I would not bother with the Olympics since they "just happen" to be in Italy when you are there. Admittedly, you cannot see everything but I wouldn't substitute the Olympics, or any OTHER sporting event for that matter, for a location such as Venice, or Rome, or Lake Como, etc., etc.

ira Jan 27th, 2005 04:45 AM

Hi ken,

With only eight days you have barely enough time to visit Venice and Florence.

You can always watch the olympics on TV.

((I))

Cicerone Jan 27th, 2005 05:53 AM

I don’t think I would go to Italy during the Olympics if you aren’t going to any events. In the first place, I think you will find prices all over Italy to be quite high (when typically most of Italy is cheaper in February as it is off season in most places other than ski resorts) as hotel owners and others expect ancillary travel from people attending the Olympics. Second, I think you will find airports and train travel to be delayed due to the tight security and the number of people attending the Olympics. You may also find that the security at museums and sites is very tight and will increase waiting time for entry, or some things may be closed entirely. (this is based in being in European cites like Madrid and Davos during big events.)

I would go a few weeks after the Olympics when hotels are empty and so are airports and trains.

Having said that, having been to Montreal and Sydney for the Olympics they are great events and if you are going to be in Italy anyway, I would make an effort to get to one or more of the events.

Dayle Jan 27th, 2005 06:45 AM

Hi again Kendu,

As I questioned before:

Are you going to Italy, or are you going to the Olympics? Your priority should determine which you cut, Torino or one of the major cities.

The Olympics are a wonderful experience, but you should focus on the Olympics, spend a week and really enjoy the whole experience. Go to some events that you've never seen before. It's a revelation.

If you want to see Italy, then definitely do the cities.

I have to disagree with Cicerone. Based on our experience in Salt Lake City and Park City in 2002, the exact opposite happended. Our ski areas were empty the entire winter because people thought it would be too crowded and too expensive because of the Olympics.

HELLO!! The Olympics are only 2 weeks, not the whole winter! Our hotels were practically giving the rooms away the whole winter season with the exception of the 2 weeks of Olympics.

Traffic was not a problem. Neither was security at the airport. All went smoothly. Yes, there were a couple of high-volume days at the airport, but no big problems.

If you need to go to Italy while the Olympics are going on in Torino, I don't think you will see major impact in the cities. Maybe a little, but most people who are going to the Olympics will be AT the Olympics.

My opinion.

Buon viaggio!