Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Italy & I don't drink...Should I start?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neither my wife nor I drink much if any alcohol. When in italy, I feel like we would be missing out on so much if we don't drink.

Would the waiter treat us with disdain if we had our meal with no wine?
Have any non-drinkers out there had any trouble? Or should I just start pounding the vino?
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 09:22 PM
cmt

No one will care whether you drink wine or not. Italians, especially southern Italians, especially Sicilians, generally have disdain for people who drink to excess and get drunk. But your choice NOT to drink will not matter to anyone. Italy is not a "drinking culture." In general, people don't sit and drink and drink just for the sake of drinking and getting high. Wine is enjoyed as part of a meal, not as a means toward undergoing a personality change. Some people also like to drink a small amount of something strong and sweet, like a liqueur, or strong and not sweet, like grappa or digestive bitters, after dinner.

If you're not a big drinker, but are not totally unable to have any alcohol at all, you might like to have just one glass of wine at meals, if sharing a half a bottle would be too much. When I'm alone, I order just a glass of wine with dinner, and occasionally with lunch. But if you don't like wine or just don't feel like having any, no one will care at all. It's not at all abnormal just to have water with a meal.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, CMT. Very eloquently put.
I, too, was referring to just a glass at dinner, not drinking to excess.
My liver will thank me.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:01 PM

One of my friends doesn't drink either and she ordered bottled water the whole time with her dinner. She thought that if she doesn't drink normally she would get really high on alcohol and act too silly.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:32 PM

Italian waiters are far too professional to treat you with anything - disdain, fake jollity, or detailed accounts of their star sign. They also, BTW, won't interrupt you with endless, unmeant, concern with how you're enjoying your meal, introduce themselves or do any of the other offensive behaviour that makes "American restaurant service" such an oxymoron.

All of which said, though, you would indeed be missing out. Italy's wines - especially its ordinary local ones, and Italians' matter of fact approach to them - are among the glories of western civilisation. Going there and not drinking them is to miss the point just as spectacularly as avoiding the churches in Rome if you're not a Catholic or avoiding the Colosseum if you're not an ancient historian.

Do remember that, if you're using the same restaurant or dining room more than once, it's perfectly normal to ask for the bottle to be stoppered and put aside so you can carry with it at the next meal.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:42 PM

You'll see a lot of Italians drinking only water with their meal in the restaurants at noon. In the evening, you'll see more frequently wine on the table, but there will always be a bottle of water.

Also, you are not obliged to take a bottle of wine. You can most generally trust the housewine they serve and order it by the glass, the quarter, half a litre.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 10:55 PM

cmt's post says it best. One word of caution, however, from first hand experience sharing wine with Italian friends in the south of Italy.

Although the local wines may "one of the glories of western civilization", many of the wines served in restaurants do contain preservatives, which you may notice only if you are used to drinking wine. But if not, you need to know that the preservatives can have a strong effect on you, and you should be somewhat careful to sip throughout your meal.

There is no stigma if you don't wish to drink wine, though.
Don't worry about missing out, danaeye, the pleasures of dining in Italy are not limited to the local wines, there are so many delicious and unforgettable dishes to enjoy-

There are good and bad waiters in Italy, just like everywhere else-England, France, the US.

There is a hierarchy of service, and you may be served by a "team".

As your waiters will say to you...buon appetito!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:45 PM

I am sure there are people in Italy who don't drink alcohol. Since you don't seem to feel you are "missing out" on anything by not drinking where you live I rather doubt you'll miss out on anything that is important TO YOU if you don't drink over there.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 12:54 AM

It is very important to only drink wine in Italy on days that end in "Y". Wonderfull stuff and the antioxidants are really good for you .
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:35 AM

There are lots of ways to get antioxidants without also consuming alcohol..some Italian vegetables are full of them. AND you can eat THOSE on days that end in Y and the ones (in Italian) that don't.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 09:41 AM
KT

Danaeye, if it's any comfort to you, my Italian friend Massimo works in viniculture (as a plant virologist), has parents who have a small winery on Lake Garda, and doesn't really like wine. He'll drink a little for social occasions, but that's about it, and nobody has accused him yet of being un-Italian.

I don't really drink, either, and have never had a problem in Italy, not at restaurants or in people's homes.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Surely you were kidding, danaeye. There is nothing wrong with not drinking. And I can't think of a sillier excuse to start than worrying about what a waiter would think if you didn't.
If you sometimes have a glass of wine, then do so there, but don't start drinking just to be "like everybody else". That sounded like advice to a 13 year old!
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 09:52 AM

All this hyperbole aside, it really makes no difference whether or not you drink wine in Italy, as it relates to how much you'll enjoy, appreciate and/or live the Italian life to its fullest. Abstaining will not deprive of enjoying this wonderful country any more than drinking wine will insure a good time!
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 10:12 AM

I leave this Friday for my first trip to Italy. Neither my wife nor I drink, but because we don't like to. I have no intentional to drink there, because I know I won't like it there either. While I sometimes wish I had developed a taste for wine, I never have. I'm not going to do something I won't enjoy, as the whole point of vacation is to enjoy yourself. I can't imagine anyone being upset with me for not doing something I don't like, but if they are that is really their problem, not mine. And from everything I've heard and read about the people in Italy, they are wonderful and really won't care what I like or don't like to eat or drink.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 10:16 AM

"And from everything I've heard and read about the people in Italy, they are wonderful and really won't care what I like or don't like to eat or drink."

You are absolutely right. They just might feel a little sorry for you. ; )

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

http://www.straughan.com
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Yes, start drinking now!!

I used to not drink wine. I started after tasting some really good wine in Paris. Since then, I have come to really enjoy wine with my dinner..even when it is a sandwhich here at home

I was never made to feel uncomfortable for not having wine with my meals in any restaurant, in the US or in Europe.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 10:28 AM

sandwich
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 11:53 AM
cherylforeurope

danaeye - I can relate to this in that I
don't like beer and I'm planning a trip to
Germany. Since I've read so much about the beer being so different and better I've decided I will have a glass at
least once. So if I can, you can too! ;-) Have a wonderful trip!!

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 12:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My first answer would be, of course not, you don't need to drink, you won't be missing out on anything (and I can't imagine the waiter will care but you might like to develop the habit of ordering a large bottle of mineral water to share, this is quite common even expected).

My second answer is, wait until you are there and see what you feel like. If you decide you want to try local wine with a meal, order a small carafe/pitcher of "house wine" which would give you each just a small glass or so at a very reasonable price. You could have a few sips without it being a huge deal.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:36 PM

I don't drink either and I have been to Italy the past 4 summers. No problem. I actually feel more uncomfortable in the states when everyone is drinking or talking about wine. The big problem is to decide if you like your water with or without gas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -