Going to Ireland

Jun 21st, 1998, 08:41 AM
J. Holt

Going to Ireland

Looking for some suggestions of things to do and see around Kenmare, Ireland. Planning a trip in Aug.

Jun 21st, 1998, 07:06 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Well, in my mind you've chosen the IDEAL spot as a center for your visit to western Ireland. Kenmare is a lovely town with breath-taking drives through the Killarney National Park to (of course) Killarney and on to Dingle (tho' that is rather a long drive). Also try driving south and west on the Bere Peninsula (the road runs to the tip and then doubles back along the other shore). The woolens shop at Windy Gap is one of the better places to pick up tourist mementoes. But to me, Kenmare will always be the cuisine capital of Ireland. We were there in November so very few tourists and not all the best places were open. Still, I've never had a better meal than the two I had (by a roaring fire on a cold night) at D'Arcy's or the one we had at Packy's (on the main street). I've been told that Matthew D'Arcy, the talented young chef at that restaurant, was killed in an auto accident in the past year and that his widow (who ran the place with him) had given it up because her children needed her. I can't believe she'd let it go to anyone not equipped to carry on what she and her husband were doing. Check it out anyway--and have a wonderful visit. Joan

Search this Thread