Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Holland next week - anyone stay in Ellecom or Arnhem?

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

I was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of the hotel we will be staying at - Landgoed Avegoor. I found it somehow on the Internet and thought it looked so pretty. The website is all in dutch but something about it made me fall in love with the place (www.avegoor.nl). There is nothing about it here on Fodors, or on Expedia, Frommers...no where. No comments or reviews from real people anywhere. It's beginning to feel like I'm imagining this place that doesn't really exist!

I was just wondering if anyone has seen it or heard of it. It is supposed to be on the edge of the Veluwe National Park out in the countryside.

It is listed as a 4 star hotel (listed, yes, but no other info) and it seems like a really good deal - family room with three meals for all four of us and tickets to many different zoos, theaters, and parks included for just $180euros per night. The hotel itself has tons of amenities like indoor pool, solarium, sauna, tennis, restaurants, mini golf, and room service. What's the catch? Why does it seem like no one has been here???
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 04:01 PM

Most people going to NL go to Amsterdam, and only go east to visit Germany. This hotel looks like a fine old country estate and it is miles from anywhere.

The website is very attractive but since it is only in Nederlands it probably only attracts locals. You will probably be the first Americnas to stay there since the last war and will most likely be treated like royalty.

The weekend rates are lower than the M-Th rates which would indicate that it is a business people's hotel, thus an OK place. In NL the stars are self appointed by hotels. There is no official system as in France. Have a look at the viamichelin.com site for an independent judgement, if this hotel is listed.

Let us know how it was if you decide to stay there.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, Hopscotch! I will be the first to post a review on this place after we stay there next week. Perhaps it will inspire others to try a new type of NL experience.

I already made a reservation and haven't looked into staying anywhere else. Amsterdam isn't on our agenda. We'll have enough of big cities when we visit Paris, Gothenburg Sweden, and Brussels in the same trip!

We definitely are looking forward to staying in the countryside rather than Amsterdam. We're most excited about riding bikes at the Veluwe National Park and seeing the Van Gogh's there.

I'll be sure to check out the viamichelin.com site. Royalty? How wonderful. But why?
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 09:42 PM

Maybe I exaggerated with the 'royalty' word, but you should be treated very well. Being an out of the way place the hotel probably doesn't see many Americans, and the Dutch are very grateful for the services of the US Army 60 years ago. At least the older Dutch feel that way and are likely to express it.

Looks like you have a great trip planned. If you haven't ridden a Dutch bike before it may take a short while to get used to the handling. I just crashed the Dutch Batavus bike I brought home some years ago and had a nasty spill. It had been some years since I had ridden it.

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 12:57 AM

I had a look at the website, and it does look very nice. It probably is too. There are lots of hotels like this in The Netherlands. Dutch people like to spend weekends in the country, and it looks like this place has some spa facilities too.
The area is great; I don't know when you are going, but it's all very green.
At the Veluwe Park you can pick up bicycles at several places; they are free. The Kroller Moller Museum has some great Van Gogh's as you mentioned, and also a lovely sculpture garden. Also in the park is hunting lodge St Hubertus; you will have to get a ticket at the visitors center if you want to visit this. Very interesting building.

Not too far from where you are there is also Palace Het Loo, where the royal family used to live. Beautiful gardens too.
In Arnhem there is also a Second World War museum.

I'm sure you will have a great time. If you go in the fall or winter, restaurants there serve very good game.

There's also a group of hotels in The Netherlands called Bilderberg, who have some good country hotels too.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 01:03 AM

Actually, having a closer look, it looks very good. They have an indoor pool, two restaurants. The hotel rooms are connected to the main building with a glass walkway. 68 rooms and 5 suites.
You can rent bicycles there, and they will provide a packed lunch for a picknick. Cycling in Holland is very easy; lots of paths, no hills.
Let us know how it was; I might go there myself some weekend (I'm Dutch but live in Belgium)
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 11:12 PM

There are many of these country house hotels in the netherlands, especially in the country: arnhem is a particularly good area for them. Quality is invariably good, but you have to like the setting and the fact that they're far from everything to enjoy the experience.