Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has British Air changed their baggage limits?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of buying tickets on BA from Detroit to Athens, Greece, and I thought it was BA that was so strict about the weight of carry-ons. So I went to their website and it says they have new policies, just now put into effect. It then states that you can have one carry-on of standard size (22"x18"x10&quot and a purse or laptop, etc. There is no mention of a weight restriction. Can this be true? Or am I missing something?
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Correct - very recent change.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 03:55 PM

BA has finally realized that the 13 lb limit on Coach passenger carry on was ridiculous I guess Whatever their reasons were I am thrilled. While it is no reason to drag all your worldly possesions on board it is a great step forward.

As for weight - it does say YOU must be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin yourself.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Yes, no weight limit for carry-on any more. But you are limited to one bag (22x18x10 in) that you must lift by yourself (FAs will NOT help) and a personal item (purse, laptop, briefcase) that must fit under the seat in front of you.
If your bag is too heavy for you to lift, it must be checked.

Along with the carry-on changes are check-in changes. You can check in a bags free of charge but they must be no more than 50 lbs each. You cannot combine. If one bag is over, they will allow you to shift things around to meet the luggage requirements. Bags over 50 lbs will no longer be accepted unless they are musical instruments, wheelchairs, sporting equipment, etc, and you have to notify BA about them in advance.
If your
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:05 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe for Economy passengers that is ONE bag per person not to exceed 50 pounds.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:17 PM

This is all beginning in October, right? My e-ticket still says 70 pounds!
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Two bags for economy on routes to/from UK to the US, Mexico and Brazil (I think that is what it said)
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:20 PM

BA allow TWO pieces of checked luggage of 50lbs or less if the flights orginate in the US, Canada, and certain areas of Latin America. For connecting flights, the higher limit will apply

However, if the flight is broken into 2 segments, i.e., you buy separate BA tickets for US-UK and UK-Europe parts, it is no longer a connecting flight but 2 separate flights even though BA will check the bags thru.
Because you bought the tickets separately, the second flight is seen as originating in Europe. So, you will be allowed 2 bags for the transatlantic part but only 1 bag for the Europe part. Excess baggage charges will be applied for the second bag for the second flight. BA allow a 20% discount if you let them know about the bag in advance.

Any flight originating in Europe has a 1 bag 50lb max checked limit.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:21 PM

seetheworld,
Hand baggage changes began July 5. Checked bag changes start Oct 11, 2006.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:23 PM

Thanks!! Don't mind me, pre-trip jitters! Unfortunately it'll only get worse.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM

This is from BA's website:

New simpler baggage policies - major changes announced
We are introducing changes to simplify baggage policies and to reduce queues at the airport. These changes will also bring our policies into line with the UK Department for Transport recommendations and the requirements of the UK’s main airport operator BAA.

The new policies will bring changes to hand, checked and excess baggage allowances and will be phased in from early July 2006 across the airline’s global network.

Hand baggage allowances are changing from 5 July 2006

All passengers will be able to carry one standard-sized bag and one briefcase, laptop computer bags or equivalent on all flights.

The maximum size of the bag, 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) has been set in line with the UK Department for Transport recommendations.

Passengers must be able to lift their bag unaided into the aircraft overhead locker.

Briefcases, laptop computer bags or equivalent must fit under the seat in front.

Free checked baggage allowances
A single allowance system based on the number of bags that can be checked in will be introduced from 11 October 2006.

FIRST, Club World, Club Europe and World Traveller Plus
Passengers will be able to check two bags into the aircraft hold free of charge.

World Traveller*, Euro Traveller and UK Domestic
Passengers will be able to check one bag into the aircraft hold free of charge.

Infants will be allowed to check one bag, plus a collapsible baby buggy, into the aircraft hold free of charge in all classes on all routes.

For any connecting journey, the most generous allowance will apply.

Passengers will be able to carry one piece of sporting equipment free of charge in addition to their checked baggage allowance.

A maximum bag weight of 23kg (50lbs) will apply to all bags.

*World Traveller passengers travelling to or from the US, Canada, Caribbean, Nigeria, Brazil and Mexico will continue to be allowed two checked bags in line with the local government regulations.

Excess baggage charges will be standardised across the network from 11 October 2006

All baggage in excess of free checked baggage allowances will be charged at a fixed fee depending on the length of the journey.

From 12 July 2006, passengers who prepay online for their excess baggage will receive a 20% discount on airport charges.

Passengers transferring flights, a single charge based on the longest flight will apply.

Maximum weight and size

We will not accept any item of baggage that weighs more than 23kg (50lbs) or oversized items exceeding 2.4m x 0.75m x 0.75m (94in x 29in x 29in).

Advance notification is required 24 hours before departure for exceptional items that weigh between 23kg - 45kg (50 - 90lbs) and which cannot be repacked e.g. musical instruments, electrical wheelchairs, some sporting items, TV news cameras, commercial spares.

Pets
We will no longer be able to carry pets as baggage. From 11 October 2006, these will only be carried as cargo.