Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Going to Florence- Food, Hotels, any advice?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/going-to-florence-food-hotels-any-advice-14588/)

Douglas May 25th, 1997 06:25 PM

Going to Florence- Food, Hotels, any advice??

We are going to spend 7 days in Florence and we would like to know of any really interesting hotels and great restaurants in and around the city. A
friend has recommended the Brunelleschi..any thoughts on that. Thanks :-)

Tricia May 30th, 1997 06:03 PM

See my message above to other traveler going to Italy regarding the inn a travel agent recommended in Florence. Very clean and nice she said and the owners treat everyone very well.
I will unbury the picture and name sometime tomorrow and post it for everyone's info.

Stefano Rimoldi May 31st, 1997 10:09 AM

Hi!!
My name is Stefano. I come Veneto but I studied
in Florence and I am in love with that magnificent
town.
I would like to suggest you same places to stay:
HOTELS:
Hotel Annalena (next to Boboli Garden)
Tel.++55 222402 fax 222403
in the old-Florence, near to the one of the most
beautiful big garden in in world.

Hotel Aldini
tel.++55 212448 fax 291621
in front of the Duomo, on the second floor
small and charmin and cheap.Book in advance.

RESTOURANTS:
Taverna Macchiavelli (Ristorante l'Albergaccio)
Is 8 kms out of Florence (you have to get a taxi)
but it is really nice and good. Think, is the place
where Nicollo Macchiavelli used to go eating,
four century ago....

Stay well, good trip and let me know.
CIao Stefano Rimoldi

Tricia Jun 2nd, 1997 08:36 AM

Hi, unburied the postcard that travel agent at Coastline Travel gave me. The name of the hotel in Florence is Hotel Umbra. It has a garden/dining area that looks lovely on picture. Tel 075/812240 Fax 075/813653. Am going to buy a fax this week at Service Merchandise as they are liquidating EVERYTHING and you can save 30%25 (luggage, cameras etc). That way I can fax these hotels from home. Neat huh! Good luck!

Tricia Jun 2nd, 1997 08:41 AM

Per my earlier message here is name of hotel:
Hotel Umbra
tel075/812240 Fax 075/813653
Coastline Travel 7l4/535-1174
P.S. If you need a fax machine, luggage, cameras etc Service Merchandises in So. Calif are going out of business and EVERYTHING IS 30-40%25 OFF.
We saved a bunch. (That way we can fax these hotels for reservations!)
Have fun!

Kaili Rubin Jun 2nd, 1997 10:17 AM

Two great restaurants to try are I Latini and Cibreo. Both in Florence, they serve up authentic Tuscan cuisine and are well known by locals and food loving travelers alike.

I Latini serves family style food at long benches among hanging legs of prosciutto crudo. It's so busy that it's best to stand in line and file in when the restaurant opens around 7:00pm. But the crowds and lines are well worth it. The food is excellent.Wine at the tables is communal. The crostini and ribollita are wonderful.

Cibreo brings traditional Tuscan food to new levels. You will have a memorable meal.

Lynn Fellhauer Jun 3rd, 1997 07:11 PM

Having just returned from Florence, I would suggest the beautiful hotel we stayed in called the Hotel Excelsior (not cheap). Request an updated room, I'm sure your travel agent can get a brochure sent to you. Conviently located by all the sights we walked everywhere. Down the same street as the Excelsior is a great restaurant called Harrys Bar. The service was relaxed and attentive. The food was incredible. The drinks were strong, it was great fun. Make sure to take a daytrip to Sienna and San Gimgioni, driving the the Tuscany area is gorgeous. Have fun. I also suggest taking a couple days to go to Venice. Just a few hours away by train.

r bak Jun 8th, 1997 01:17 PM

May seem odd suggestion...pizza in the piazetta at St. Spirito is the most incredible. I don't like pizza. I studied in Florence and if you're going this summer anticipate long lines and hot days. Bargain with the vendors in the markets, but don't insult them. If you plan to visit places like the Ufizzi and Acamemia, be there when they open or you will stand in line for so long you won't enjoy what you see. Go to the piazzelle (sp?) Michelangelo in the evening at sunset and watch Florence change colors...visit Fiesole. Also, the Museo Duomo, often overlooked by hurried tourists is really worth a visit. If you're on a budget, eat away from the very touristy areas...

Carol Jacobson Jun 12th, 1997 01:11 PM

where in venice do you suggest are good eating places and what are the sites not to miss - also what information re places to stay