Going to Denmark Sunday - need advice!

Oct 22nd, 1997, 10:38 AM
k redman

Going to Denmark Sunday - need advice!

I am going to Denmark this weekend for 1 week. Would like advice on towns to visit outside of Copenhagen for architecture, history, culture..off the beaten path places. Also, info on budget accomodations or b and b's. I have youth hostel info/addresses, need recommendations. Also, any interesting places in Copenhagen not really mentioned in guidebooks as well as night spots. Thanks for any advice!

Oct 22nd, 1997, 04:31 PM
Tricia

Hi, try this website: www.eurotrip.com- it has l5 travel boards and you may get the info you need faster. Good luck!

Oct 22nd, 1997, 09:46 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear K.--I visit Denmark frequently and I think you'll find a week is barely sufficient to see much of Copenhagen. The days are very short now in that latitude--so you don't see as much.
Tivoli Gardens, the glory of Copenhagen, is closed for the winter--but the famous "walking street" (Stroget--pronounced stro--ett) is endlessly fascinating with its many shops lit by twinkling lights, fountains,an old church. Nearby is the racy section called Nyhavn (New Hown). The Little Mermaid still watches over the harbor. Information on ALL of this--plus inexpensive housing--can be had from the Tourist Bureau which maintains an information desk in the train station--which just happens to be where the bus from Kastrup Airport drops you off. Just go in and ask them. They speak English and--like just about all the Danes--are open and friendly with a delightfully wicked sense of humor. If you HAVE to go out of Copenhagen, the Danish train service is frequent and fast. You might like to see Aarhus (pronounced Oar Hoose), home of one of Denmark's two universities; Odense, where Hans Christian Andersen's home is open to visitors; or Aabenro (pronounced Oben-row)on Jutland where a large population of Vietnamese boat-people rescued at sea in the 'seventies has been pretty seamlessly integrated into Danish life.
I've been to Denmark often but haven't had to stay in a hotel since my first visit in 1957 because I've met so many hospitable Danes who have invited me to visit them. I hope you get to meet some too. They are just delightful people. As we say in Dansk, "God reise!" Joan

Search this Thread