going to conwy castle and Canaerfan castle in one day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping to take a train from Chester to LLandudno, check my bags, and then take a bus to Canaerfan (sp?), take in the castle for a while, then go to Conwy castle via bus, then back to LLandudno for the night. Is this doable?
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:00 PM

Yes - i've done Llandudno - Caernaferon sp?) and then went up Mt Snowdon in same day and had no problem and you trip is a lot more manageable. Conwy is of course just a few miles from Llandudno (the LL's are pronounced with a clicking k sound - like Cladudno - not exact but it's not Lan-dude-no) in case not familiar with Welsh as i was not when i first went.

You probably have to change buses in Bangor, a gritty down-at-its-heels Welsh town

I think Beaumarais Castle is one of the most gorgeous in Europe - near Bangor plopped on the sea ("bew-mar-is" or close)

In Bangor many folks were speaking Gaelic or Celtic or whatever - Welsh i guess
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
your logistics work fine. But do you mean leaving your luggage at your hotel/B&B or at the trainn station?? I don't think there is left Luggage at LLandudno station. But if you meant at your hotel - that would probably work.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:43 PM

You'll find bus timetables on here:

http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/gwy_doc.as...&doc=12522

There appears to be a bus that goes from Llandudno, via Conway and Bangor to Caernarfon.

Beaumaris Castle is on Anglesey, the nearest castle to Bangor is Penrhyn, a 19th century fantasy of a castle, also well worth a visit.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 12:04 AM

Do you actually want to go to Llandudno on the way?

There are trains that go straight to Conway from Chester. These give you the chance to get the train over the Conway railway bridge, which has been cunningly designed to make it look like Conway castle.

Then you can go on to Caernarvon by bus and follow the other suggestions.

A note on languages. Many people in the area you're going to visit speak Welsh: not Celtic (there's no such language), not Gaelic (Welsh belongs to a different language family from the languages spoken in parts of Scotland and Ireland).

Contrary to English myth, they speak Welsh even when English-speakers aren't around. Well, some do. But they're all perfectly bilingual

The Welsh for the towns you're visiting is Conwy and Caernarfon: the English (which, last time I checked, is the language most of use on this forum) Conway and Caernarvon, which is why Maria H spells Conway the way most people familiar with the town do.

Some Welsh bigots think we ought to use the Welsh names. Listen closely to what Welsh-speakers in the area say to each other, though, and you'll find the Welsh are pretty one-side about this. They refer to their country's capital as "Lundain", not London, and to the area's economic capital as "Lerpwl", not Liverpool.

And they'll understand you perfectly well if you refer to these castles in English, not pseudo-Welsh.

Yaki da.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 12:22 AM

Dydd da. Sut mae?
Actually the Welsh refer to their capital as Caerdydd not Lundain.

People in Parts of North Wales have Welsh as their first language, always have had. Bangor and Caernarvon being to Welsh speaking bits. Conwy never was especially Welsh speaking but it is now.The Ll sound is similar to the ch in loch with an l added. Just use an l sound - everyone will understand, and not be offended.
Iechyd da!
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 12:37 AM

Oops, hadn't noticed I'd put Conway rather than Conwy. I have to admit, though I love Wales, my pronuniation and spelling isn't good and I tend to alternate between the English and Welsh versions. Flanner has a point, if you have limited time, it might be easier to stay in Conwy rather than Llandundno. The bus from Llandudno to Caernarfon takes about an hour and a half, so it depends what time you arrive how doable it will be. I do however like Llandudno and have spent many good weekend breaks there.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 12:56 AM

flanneruk, surely you don't honestly believe that the Welsh calling London "Llundain" or Liverpool "Lerpwl" is an act of bigotry?

When we speak English do we not call Firenze "Florence" ?

As for using the bus service to take in Conway (Conwy) and Caernarvon (Caernarfon), then it's perfectly doable in a day. Bangor will be the transport hub for your journeys. (You can catch a bus for Beaumaris (Biwmaris)from there also.)

Oh, and the double L letter is more of a hiss than a click or a clearing of the throat. Try hissing out "sssssssssss" noting that your tounge is at the bottom behind your teeth, drop your tongue back and raise the tip to the roof of your mouth and the noise will change to the rougher hiss of 'lllllllllll'.

By jove, I think she's got it !

Now, repeat after me :

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgorgerychwyrndrobwyllllantysil iogogogoch