Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Going to bed...I know the late night genies from Fodorland will solve my problem.....

Going to bed...I know the late night genies from Fodorland will solve my problem.....

Sep 24th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Original Poster

Going to bed...I know the late night genies from Fodorland will solve my problem.....

I was going to fly from Bologna (Florence) to Paris on MyAir. All of a sudden the price jumped from practically nothing to a lot! So, said I...take the train....I have attempted several times to come up with the fare on Trenitalia. I have registered, but it keeps telling me that the connection cannot be made....I am fully aware of my techno-disability (and I used to be a fighter pilot), so I place myself in your very kind and capable hands. There will be my wife, my daughter-in-law and me. We can go any way that does not cost a fortune.
Thank you and good night,
Dupher
Sep 24th, 2007, 11:17 PM

How about EasyJet from Pisa to Paris?

Sorry about MyAir - another good reason to book as soon as you know, because those cheap fares usually only go up.
Sep 25th, 2007, 01:10 AM

Dupher, that's a new way of sleeping on a problem!

I tried Florence-Paris for a random October date on http://www.bahn.de/p/view/index.shtml . It came up with a number of direct services but fare information is not available. How do you like the idea of a 12-hour train journey? I would think of looking for a sleeper, and save on a night's hotel charges.
Sep 25th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Some genies sleep...certainly longer than I did...thanks Will and Padraig, for your efforts....Padraig, I planned on the overnight train, but, because I originally planned on flying, I booked the place in Florence to check out on the 31st and the place in Paris to arrive the same day. So, I am probably stuck the night's lodging in any event. The price on MyAir went from something like 50 euros apiece to 280!...I just checked again and it is now over 300...easy jet is about 280...on both airlines there is a huge difference if you go a day or two before the 31st....seems very strange...awake genies! this, by necessity, budget traveler has screwed up and needs help....thanks,
Dupher
Sep 25th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Dupher, you might not be stuck with the accommodation charges. Check the cancellation policies of the hotels. So long as one of them will agree to your cutting a day from your booking, you could make it work.

I had a look at orbitz.com, and didn't find anything promising on flights.
Sep 25th, 2007, 07:42 AM
ira

Hi dupher,

See if you can buy train tickets at www.voyages-sncf.com and have your tickets mailed to your Florence hotel.

The site is down right now.

Sep 25th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Padraig....Ira, am having a little trouble navigating that site....can't find an english translation and my French (2 years of it 50 years ago in college!)leaves a little to be desired...I.m sure Chiara at Peterson B&B would hold our tickets.....thanks for your efforts...
Dupher
Sep 25th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Greetings dupher. You mention the 31st...are we talking October? It will help with my search....

For the English version - log onto www.sncf.fr, go down to the bottom left corner, and hit the U.K flag. This will take you to a screen where you can select 'information and booking' in English. Bonne chance!

(P.S. Unhappily, if you are looking at cross-border tix, e.g. Bologna to Paris, you cannot get prices or book on the Internet. But you can call, I believe. See "contact us" link on the site for details.
Sep 25th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Sue, yes it is the 31st of Oct. and I'm still having trouble with that site...when I use your link and click on the english flag it takes me to another and when I hit one of the sections it takes me to Ira's link with no English flag! Aaargh! It is greatly humbling to be such a klutz....
Dupher
Sep 25th, 2007, 08:25 AM

For the 31st of October, you can still get flights from Milan or Venice to Paris in the range of 51-63 Euros, on various airlines. Check www.skyscanner.net .
Sep 25th, 2007, 08:30 AM

This might be the link you need: http://www.voyages-sncf.com/dynamic/...=cmdHomepageUK -- but it reported a technical error when I tried it.
Sep 25th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks once more Will and Padraig....maybe seeing if I can opt out of a couple of days in Florence and going to Venice, then flying to Paris is the answer...of course I have no lodging in Venice and I would feel bad about asking Chiara at Peterson B&B to let me out of our agreement...I knew I was a lousy planner, I just didn't know how lousy...
Dupher
Sep 25th, 2007, 10:14 AM

SNCF= Seriously Needs Computers Fixed

Be sure to use Internet Explorer on that site, based upon my own trials and tribulations, but that's no guarantee
Sep 25th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

No matter what time I put down for departure it tells me that there are no trains leaving after that hour.....holy moley
Sep 25th, 2007, 12:01 PM

When I tried it earlier I found services between Bologna and Paris. I tried again, just to verify, and got "Afin de mieux vous servir, notre service de réservation TRAIN est en cours de maintenance. Nous vous prions de nous en excuser et vous invitons à renouveler votre visite ultérieurement."

In brief: "we're fixing it; come back later."

Dupher, you say you are non-techie. Do you know how to use usenet -- specifically, the newsgroup rec.travel.europe? There is a lady who participates there regularly who can probably help you. I know she made the same journey that you hope to. If you are not familiar with usenet, you might be able to find your way there through Google-groups.
Sep 25th, 2007, 12:09 PM

By the way, when I did get on to the SNCF site, it reported that the tickets for the Bologna-Paris journey could not be purchased on-line.
Sep 25th, 2007, 12:28 PM

When you tried trenitalia did you by any chance spell Paris as Paris rather than the Italian form, Parigi? I just tried it for a random dat in Oct and found this: http://orario.trenitalia.com/b2c/TimeTable

DETTAGLIO VIAGGIO
Treno Partenza Arrivo Servizi
552 Toscanini Bologna Centrale 06:44 Milano Centrale 08:55
9242 Alexandre Dumas Milano Centrale 09:10 Paris Gare De Lyon 16:11
Tratta urbana non FS Paris Gare De Lyon --:-- Paris Austerlitz --:--

I don't know if that's any help?
Sep 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks one and all for your efforts on my behalf...Padraig, I think I tracked down what you were referring to on usenet...consensus seems to be fly, if at all possible...I think my situation got a little garbled after several postings. I was going to fly out of Bologna on MyAir because it was cheap and it left and arrived at reasonable times and it was closest to Florence. When the price soared, I reverted to leaving on the train from Florence where I will be staying. My next consideration was to see if I could skip on the last couple of days at my Florence B&B and go to Venice for a couple of days and then catch the MyAir flight from there to Paris, because it is still cheap. I realize that this has become tedious for you genuinely helpful folks and I completely understand your going on to more interesting places. Thanks so very much for your time,
Dupher
Sep 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Don't presume that this is tedious. If people are not interested, you get no responses. Until that happens, stay on board.

I want to know how this gets sorted.
Sep 25th, 2007, 06:35 PM

As did Nonconformist, I also checked trenitalia.com. There are several options during the day for journeys of 11-13 hours, including an overnight choice. Fares (without couchettes) are generally 150 euros per person in first class and 120 euros per person in second class. Some options include a segment on Italy's new AV train.

www.trenitalia.com/en/index

Search this Thread