Reload this Page >

Going Through security with prescription drugs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 07:32 AM
lina

Can anyone tell me about taking prescription drugs through security? I've always taken them in a pill case (takes less room) than the original containers (which I know you are *supposed* to do). Will they dispose of pills not in the original containers?

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 08:40 AM
lisa

We just came back from trip to France/Spain and Ireland last week, and no one checked our medications at all. I'm not sure I would worry about it - I think the concentration in security right now is more on "metal" items rather than medications. However, I will mention that we did keep our meds in their original containers.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Bob Brown

I would not take with me any medications that are classed as "narcotic" without a letter from the prescribing physician. <BR>I have never had any trouble in Western Europe, but my supply of prescription medicines are items like Lipitor, Prilosec, and metropolol. <BR>Being slightly risk averse, I am wary of narcotic type drugs. <BR>

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 09:36 AM
xxx

I would agree that you should at least bring a prescription with you -- even if you get through with the pills, what happens if you lose them? Or they get spoiled somehow? Better safe than sorry!

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 09:49 AM
B

lina, if you know you're supposed to keep them in the original container, then why not just do it? How badly would it ruin your trip if they were taken away? Why take the chance? What else do you take that you're not supposed to?

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 09:55 AM
xxxxxxxxx

When your prescription drugs come in bottles with a 3 month supply and you have several prescriptions, it really takes up a huge amount of space. I transfer them to smaller bottles, but bring a copy of the original presription with me.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 09:57 AM
xx

Take the pills in their original bottles. Take a presciption along with the generic name on it rather than the name brand, in the event you would need to replace them or you get sick and the doctors need to know your current meds. <BR>I go one step further and take enough for two times my stay. I keep one on my person and another in my room.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Joanne

We have had to deal wtih this, as my daughter must take two strictly-regulated meds. We also take extras, in two separate containers with original labels, just in case. <BR> <BR>For items that come in large quantities/large containers, just ask your pharmacist to prepare a smaller bottle, too -- it's not much extra trouble for them to print out a second label and put it on a small bottle for short trips. <BR> <BR>Also, it's my understanding that a prescription is only aceptable in the location where the writer is licensed. We were traveling and needed a refill and the local pharmacy wouldn't refill until my dr had contacted a dr in the state (not even overseas) where we were vacationing and the in-state dr authorized it. So if you take copies of your precriptions, you might still have to see a local provider, but at least they'd know what you were asking for.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 11:12 AM
John G

Do you think I would have any problem with my diet pills?? I don't have a prescription for them. I could just say they are vitamins, can't I??

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Joanne

John, better put those diet pills in a vitamin bottle, just to be safe.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Sue

I always take my meds and vitamins in individual ziplock bags for each day and have never been questioned, not even during the two complete searches of my tote returning from Maine last week. I take a copy of prescriptions from Merck-Medco site and when I needed more in Paris, the pharmacist filled them with no question. (mainly heart meds) I suppose in the event of security questions, the list might help.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 01:38 PM
MJ

I used to carry my meds in a daily pill case on the top shelf of our medicine cabinet until I was at the emergency room at the local children's hospital with my daughter... We were there for other reasons, but the area next to us was a small child that swallowed all of his grandfather's bloodpressure medicine. After we came home I put my medicine back in their original containers and threw away that pill case. I'm only sharing this with everyone in case it's something you haven't thought of.