Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going on 16 day Europe Tour with Choir in one week! Need to know what to pack!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! If you have toured Europe before, then I am in desperate help of any advise you can give me (Basically on what to pack)!

I'm leaving for a time of my life in one week to tour seven different countries in 16 days. The countries I am going to are France, Germany, Austria, England, Switzerland, Italy, and Liechtenstein.

Here's the deal, I don't travel much and I can have one suit case for the whole trip with a maximum of 50lb and a back pack I will carry when we tour each country.

We will mostly be doing city touring and will be singing in many remarkable places.

For days we are performing I have to wear black pants and a polo shirt with black shoes. On traveling days shorts are allowed, and regular site seeing days we are required to wear pants or jeans. We also have uniform jackets we will be wearing most of the time. Sandals are not allowed, only tennis shoes.

I need to pack very lightly! But there won't be too much time to do laundry. For what I can do I'll be doing in my hotel sink.

If you have any advise whatsoever on what to pack and what you suggest for my trip I would appreciate it!

Thank you so much for your help!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Say "Hi" to Dr. Eklund from Cedar Rapids! You will have a great time!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You know - you have pretty much listed the things you need to pack. Polo shirts, black slacks, a pair of casual slacks or jeans (though jeans may be too hot in some of those places so don't take more than maybe 1 pair) shorts, some other casual shirts/t-shirts, your jacket, socks, underwear and such. You shouldn't need nearly 50 lbs of stuff.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 11:20 PM

Italy has strict rules about what to wear when visiting churches - no shorts, short skirts or sleeveless shirts. Since it will be hot there, I would bring either a pair of lightweight capris or a skirt that's close to knee-length for that part of your trip.

Jeans take up quite a bit of room and take a long time to dry when air-drying. If you must bring some, I'd choose lighter weight pairs.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:13 AM

Sounds like a great trip. I'm a little surprised your group leader/organizer hasn't given you a rather detailed list of things to pack. Our daughter went to Central Europe last year with her high school orchestra and she was given a very detailed list of what to and what not to take. Even thought she's been to Europe several times, the list really did help.

Regardless, besides the things the others have mentioned, you could encounter some cool evenings (and of course rain) so include a light to medium weight sweater, water-proof jacket like a wind-breaker, and maybe a small fold-up umbrella.

Have a great time.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:31 AM

Don't know why - nothing in the post says one way or the other - but I assumed you are male. Right? If so you have it easy since what you can take has pretty much been spelled out.

But if you are female - then yes, I'd take some capris, a floaty skirt of som sort -- skirts are usually cooler that slacks and definitely cooler than jeans, and soem ballet flats or other comfortable shoes if you can't take sandals.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:57 AM

BigRed,

I have done this sort of tour many times. My suggestion is to pack light. I would avoid jeans as they are heavy and can be uncomfortable in the heat/humidty (especially in Italy). Most teenagers are shocked at the lack of aircomditioning on their first trip to Europe.

I would also allow extra room in your luggage to bring back gifts/souvineers. If you purchase something large to bring home, be sure to ask if you can ship it home. You really don't want to carry it all around Europe!

Also, be aware that you will likely stay in hotels without elevators. And also consider checing into a new hotel with scoresof other kids at the same. You will want to be prepared to walk up 3 or 4 flights of stairs to your room when you are hot and exhausted. Much easier when you are packed light and not in jeans!

You will have a great time. You will enjoy the trip and get much more out of it if stay awake when you are supposed to and sleep at night. Also I would suggest that you write in your journal each day (no matter how tired you are) so you can recall what you did each day. Mom and Dad will be gald you did as well

JazzDrew
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 04:08 PM

If you are purchasing/providing your own black pants, polo, and black shoes for performing, make sure that the pants fit and are flattering, get a fitted polo (not boxy or oversized), and do some cute black ballet flats.

Besides your uniform, you could take a pair of jeans (dark denim always looks nice), a pair of capris (khaki is very versatile), and a knee length skirt (in a versatile color or pattern, that could go with your black ballet flats). Then, you could take several feminine knit tops/tees to wear with those bottoms. In addition to the ballet flats, you could take a cute sneaker/skimmer that goes with your outfits, and maybe just tuck one pair of flip flops to use as house shoes. A cotton cardigan would be good for the plane or a cool evening. A few pairs of cute earrings and a cool necklace can give your outfits some flair and are very easy to pack.

You can use a cute tote (preferably one that zips on top) to carry a few items (map, phrasebook, water, camera/film, umbrella, sunglasses) for sightseeing. It can also hold small souvenirs that you bring home.

Hope this helps. You're gonna have a great time.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I assumed you were male? Guess I was wrong. My husband sings in a choir and they went to Russia and China. I found light weight drip dry pants in a catalog and he had seersucker shorts, both easy to wash and dry overnight.several tops of lightweight knits.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 04:46 PM

take one or two simple pull on knit skirts. easy to dress up or down. problem is, you don't have a lot of time to find them (coldwatercreek.com or landsend.com might make your departure date). maybe a pair of zipoff pants? take a light shirt to put over a tank top when entering churches. I assume you're female. If not, just do the zipoffs and some quicky dry polo shirts (available at most sporting goods stores like dicks, sports authority, etc). we do 14 days with a carry=on so for me, 16 days with a 50lb limit seems HUGE!!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 04:50 PM

chigalechanta: &quot;<i>I assumed you were male? Guess I was wrong</i>&quot;

Actually we don't know one way or the other. This was BigRed's first post and s/he hasn't been back to clear things up. (I also assumed BigRed is male - but who knows.)
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do not take a 50 lbs. suitcase, even if it is allowed. For me, somewhere around 25-30 lbs. is enough for what you describe and it not hard to lift on and off baggage carousels or get into hotel rooms, on/off busses whatever. No way do you need 50 lbs.

Since you can't do laundry pack enough underwear, tshirts, etc. for the time. Be willing to wear pants especially many times w/out washings. Hang things up at the end of the day, they are fine for another wearing.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Great tips!
bigRed18 is a female teen.
I actually suggested that she post here for advice. You all are always so helpful!
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:34 PM

If you will be performing on the day after your arival, be sure to pack your singing gear in your carry-on, just in case your suitcase gets mislaid.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:46 PM

I'll bet &quot;bigRed18&quot; is a pretty 18 year old redhead, with a beautiful voice. I also suspect she is going to have a great time on her trip.
JJ