Reload this Page >

7 days to see England country sights by car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 01:02 PM
Dmitry

Hi, <BR>We are planning our first visit to England. <BR>We think to stay 3 days in London, rent a car <BR>for 7 days trip to visit some country sights and stay 2 more days in London. <BR>We would appreciate any advise on country trip: nice old villages & towns ,walking tours,scenic drives and nature, <BR>cathedrals, castels, roman places, .... <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>Dmitry <BR>

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 02:23 PM
kkam

I think if this is a first trip, I would head out on M4 to Bath(for Roman baths and pretty Georgian town), the Cotswolds(for beautiful small country towns), Salisbury (for cathedral),maybe then up to Shrewsbury (for historical importance), and Chester (for Roman ruins). That should pretty much fill the better part of 5-6 days. I would also plan to spend any extra time in London and would take the train for a daytrip to Canterbury to see the cathedral and town. Don't try to do it all. That's the worst mistake you can make. There's also a good book titled Daytrips London by Earl Steinbicker. Lots of good information and the towns are grouped geographically so you could visit several and stay in one strategic place. Enjoy.

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 05:04 PM
Karen

Outside of London, go to Windsor, Warwick Castle, Ragley Hall...meander around the Cotswolds. Buy a book called something like Castles, Gardens and Stately Mansions...large paperback with all places open to the public, times and days open and it is arranged by area. Also, be sure to get a large AA book of maps. You can get that here in a better bookstore. If you stick to a really good guidebook, you will find more to see than time to see it. You also might go to Romsey to see Lord Mountbatten's home and museum, very interesting and beautiful. It is south-west of London.

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 06:20 PM
April

I like the drive along the southern parts of Hampshire, Dorset and Devon... the New Forest in Hampshire, charming seaside town of Lymington, palace house of Beaulieu (& car museum); Lyme Regis, Sidmouth (it's a nice walk up the hill overlooking the ocean - have a Devon ice-cream cone too). Then there's Bath, Cheddar Gorge, Stonehenge (some people describe it as a 'pile of rocks' but I like it and the setting)... a walk up the Tor in Glastonbury. Well, there are hundreds of places and you really can't go too far wrong in England I think. Paths and trails are just about everywhere. <BR>

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 08:43 PM
Jerry

Hi Dmitry, <BR> <BR>Here is the problem...there is hardly a place in England that is not worth visiting. I would highly recommend that you add the Lake District & The Cotswolds to your schedule. There is lots to do in both areas. The villages of the Cotswolds are some of the most beautiful places in England. One of the best things you can do for yourself before going is to purchase the "Eyewitness tavel guide to Great Britain." There is no book that will give you more information, color photos(1400) and maps than they do. If you would like any other information, please write me directly. Have a great time. <BR> <BR>Jerry

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 09:27 AM
Martha

I just got back from the British Isles and I fell in love with Wales. I would think a drive through the Wales countryside and along the coast would be fun. Harlech Castle, along the coast is interesting, as are the seaside resorts. <BR> <BR>Martha <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 11:03 AM
paula

I live in Wales and if you come down the M4 out of London, visit Bath first, and then make your way to Swansea - the Gower Penninsula. it is wonderful for walking and cycling. After that make your way to Pembroke - St. David's Cathedral and then up the cost to Caernarfon (where Prince Charles was made prince of wales in the castle) then up through slate mines, rugged country to Chester. This will be a wonderful trip. From Chester across to M56 and back to London. Honest, it's got to be seen.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 02:53 PM
Hilary

One 'nice old village' definitely worth a visit is Castle Combe in Wiltshire (once voted the prettiest village in England). <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 12:50 PM
Tom

Dmitry- Why leave London after three days and then return for your last two days? Seems like you are will waste the better part of a day getting in and out of London. Tom

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 01:09 PM
Beth

We did a trip similar to this one last year. And I agree with the poster who said to put all your London time either at the beginning or the end for a couple reasons. You might get a better rate on a longer stay in the city (we did, as it happens). Its pretty easy to get back to the airport directly from the countryside somewhere, so it'll save you one train or cab trip with your luggage. And most importantly, while you are driving the countryside you will do a lot of staying in B&B's for just one night. The packing/unpacking gets old fast. Its really nice to have 4 or 5 straight nights in the same place, you can wash out some clothes and such. <BR> <BR>Another bit of advice. Plan to cover less distance each day than you think you can. Driving the beautful local roads can be slow, and you don't want to be in too much of a hurry to get to your next inn. <BR> <BR>And finally, Wales is wonderful!! You will find all the things you are looking for, scenic drives through the mountains, quaint villages, and more castles than you can possibly see. My favorite castles were Harlech, and Beaumaris. St Davids Cathedral and Bishops palace are great. There's a Roman amphitheater and some barracks ruins not far from Cardiff (I'd have to check to find the location). And Tintern Abbey is not to be missed.