Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Going bonkers - one more Rome question hotel - Albergo del Senato (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/going-bonkers-one-more-rome-question-hotel-albergo-del-senato-933102/)

jamierin Apr 27th, 2012 03:37 PM

Going bonkers - one more Rome question hotel - Albergo del Senato

I know that the Albergo del Senato is a fabulous hotel in a great location. Would you do a "non-view" room on the ground floor (it is their mini-apartment) OR a room with as much space at the Hotel Santa Maria in Trastevere. They both look great - but different.

For my family of four.

Thanks.

Jean Apr 27th, 2012 04:14 PM

IMO, Trastevere is too far removed from the main sights of Rome, especially compared with the location of the Albergo del Senato. That said, I'm not sure I'd like a ground floor apartment in the pedestrian-busy Pantheon area.

Are these the only two hotels you're considering? Have you looked at other apartment possibilities? When is your trip?

bobthenavigator Apr 27th, 2012 04:18 PM

I agree---always opt for location.
We like Albergo Cesari in that area.

greg Apr 27th, 2012 04:29 PM

They are almost one mile from each other. Unless you learn to use buses, any trek to north or east of Pantheon would add a lot to your trip if you start from Hotel Santa Maria compared to Albergo del Senato.

So it looks like Palazzo Olivia you were eying on in another thread did not work out?

jamierin Apr 27th, 2012 04:34 PM

We are going in August. The mini-apartment at the Senato is on the first floor, at the back of the hotel. I haven't seen any reviews complaining about the noise, just the lack of light. I think that it is fairly quiet.

We want to stay in a hotel or a B+B, not an apartment on its own.

The Cesari looks like it is in a good location and very nice, but the quad room looks a little tired.

I have looked at so many places that it would make your head spin. Of course we want it all on a budget!

jamierin Apr 27th, 2012 04:39 PM

@ greg - I know they are pretty far from each other. A friend suggested the Santa Maria and he knows me pretty well. He thought that I would love the location and the charm of the hotel and Trastevere. In the heat of August though, I might love a more central location is what I am thinking.

Leely2 Apr 27th, 2012 05:15 PM

I don't think Trastevere is out of the way; it's farther from some sights and closer to others. I've stayed at Albergo del Senato and it was worth it because of the view, and because I was with my 60ish mother, who wanted to be able to see the Pantheon as she lay in bed. It was great, but I've also stayed in Trastevere and really enjoyed it. Plenty to see and do, and, for this fit person, an easy walk to most other sights. Personally, I don't think I'd stay right by the Pantheon again.

Have a great trip, whichever area you choose.

ParadiseLost Apr 27th, 2012 06:07 PM

Do you like your mother-in-law? If not, you might want another hotel:-).

www.maquettes-historiques.net/P210.html
The Albergo del Senato is too the left of the Arch in the open Square, its front door is at the section of portio in front of the temple and the hotel is built over the temple.

A closer view of the 'Temple of Matidia'
www.maquettes-historiques.net/P22cb.html

Matidia was Emperor Hadrian's mother-in-law and it was unheard-of for an Emperor to built a *temple* to his MIL???

Plus Hadrian and his wife weren't exactly lovebirds but I guess he and his MIL were on great terms?

I just thought I'd add alittle humor and history to help with the "bonkers" :-)
Regards, Walter

LBev769375 Apr 27th, 2012 06:31 PM

In the heat of August, I vote for the del Senato. The apartment in the rear should not be noisey and the view from the roof terrace is great. We have stayed in both Trastevere and at the del Senato. With a family of 4, having to always catch a crowded bus or an expensive taxi may need to also be a consideration, compared to being able to walk as a family to almost any site you want to see and still get back to your hotel for an hot afternoon heat break in your room, on the terrace, or sit in in the piazza and have a gelato and people watch. Have a great vacation and a gelato on me.

annw Apr 27th, 2012 07:53 PM

Stayed at del Senato 2-3 times and in Trastevere once; I loved Trastevere area and it could be a very nice haven during the dog days of August, but I would DEFINITELY want a room with A/C (do you have that at the Trastevere hotel?).

I liked Albergo del Senato; my only objection was to the noise on the piazza, that came along with the view (which is magnificent). Sounds like your rear-facing room would not have that problem, but (of course) also misses the view.

Josh Apr 27th, 2012 11:07 PM

I stayed in the mini-apartment at del Senato for 5 days in June 2011. It was completely remodeled in late 2010 and was in excellent condition. It is set up in a duplex style; lower level had living area with 2 single beds, large desk, TV, full bath with separate tub and shower, and walk-in closet area. The upper was an open loft with double bed , TV, and small seating area.

There is an access door leading to an interior courtyard behind the hotel that must remain locked, but does include a window that lets in a bit of light. As I recall, there is also a large window (textured glass, I believe) over the stairs that let in a fair amount of light. The AC worked great and the staff was very friendly.

The room was very quiet as it's located in a low-traffic corner of the ground floor. I didn't see anyone in the courtyard outside the room during my entire stay. The Piazza della Rotunda, however, is one of the city's livliest squares, and for good reason.

I can't comment on Trastevere as I always stay in the Navona/Pantheon area, and have only visited the neighborhood for meals.

I felt that the mini apartment was a good value and would reserve again without hesitation if looking for a 3 star in Rome.

Have a great trip.

AlessandraZoe Apr 27th, 2012 11:18 PM

Another vote for the del Senato. Staying in Pantheon area instantly makes your Rome sightseeing less exhausting for the kids.

Marianna Apr 28th, 2012 04:26 AM

Take a look at the Navona Gallery Suites. We (2 adult couples) stayed in the Bernini and Borromini (smaller of the two rooms). There is a small kitchen for the use of those two rooms. It is a very short walk to Piazza Navona.

The larger apartment, the Michelangelo, has a large balcony, kitchen area and probably more space for a family of 4.

Weadles Apr 28th, 2012 04:48 AM

My family has stayed in both places. I'd go with Albergo Del Senato. My daughter and three friends stayed in the mini-apartment two years ago and found it very convenient, and didn't mind the lack of view. My husband and I stayed upstairs with a view, but honestly none of us were in the hotel that much. Plus, as pointed out in a post above, the hotel has a fabulous rooftop terrace for drinks/snacks, so you can enjoy the view there.

My daughter also stayed at The Santa Maria in Trastevere last year. She loved the hotel, but said it was a trek back and forth from the main sightseeing areas.

Good luck!

Weadles Apr 28th, 2012 04:50 AM

I forgot to say that we've stayed at Albergo Del Senato twice because we liked it so much, and are going back for a third visit in June.

BeachGirl247 Apr 28th, 2012 06:06 AM

Albergo del Senato was next door to our apartment. My friends were staying at the Senato and they love this hotel and I can see why. The location can't be beat as well as the newly-remodeled rooms and helpful front desk staff.

Big vote for del Senato!

dorkforcemom Apr 28th, 2012 06:32 AM

Another big vote for del Senato - I think we've stayed there about 10 times.

jamierin Apr 28th, 2012 11:47 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses.

@ Josh - I appreciate your detailed response describing the apartment. I have booked it for our 4 day stay.

@Marianna - I love the Michelangelo suite. It is booked when we need it. I especailly love that location right on via Governo Vecchio.

AlessandraZoe Apr 28th, 2012 12:09 PM

Jamierin--You can sleep now. :)

jamierin Apr 28th, 2012 12:24 PM

Yes!! Now i can go bonkers trying to find restaurants open in August!!!